Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Barrett-Jackson Las Vegas 80 Mustang Bette Davis

The upcoming Barrett-Jackson event in Las Vegas October 16th-18th has a 1980 Mustang that belonged to the film star Bette Davis up for auction:

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/event...as/default.asp

I was unable to find it on their website but here is a pic from the flyer that came with my latest edition of the Hemmings Motor News magazine.

Anybody looking for a rust free coupe? HAHA
    86 LX Coupe 4E
    84 SVO Watkins Glen Pace Car 1E
    85 SVO Hertz 4E
    85.5 SVO 2R orig owner
    86 SVO 7B
    66 Fastback
    55 Willys Jeep Overland Wagon

Nottingham, PA now...from Perryville, MD...From Levittown, PA

hubcaps??? 5 bolt hubcaps???
    My name is Andrew
    1986 GT Convertible- 2nd owner
    1984 SVO-Impound Yard find

here it is
    http://www.barrett-jackson.com/appli..._LotNumber=460

Vehicle Details

LotNumber 460
    Hammer Price Not Sold
    Year 1980
    CarMake FORD
    CarModel MUSTANG
    CarStyle COUPE "BETTE DAVIS'"
    ExteriorColor BLACK
    Interiorcolor RED
    Cylinders V6
    Engine 3.3 LITER
    Transmission AUTOMATIC
    Summary Referred to as "Black Beauty" by original owner, film legend, Bette Davis. Currently in the Peterson Automotive Museum. Original documentation includes sales receipts, correspondence, owner I.D. cards and original license plates.
    Description In honor of the 100th Anniversary celebration of Miss Bette Davis (1908-200, Barrett-Jackson is proud to offer Miss Davis' customized 1980 Ford Mustang in this Las Vegas auction. Eyes, attitude, talent and the ever present cigarette - these are the lingering images we carry of this incomparable and amazing woman. 2-time Oscar winner and 10-time academy nominee, quotes from her film performances have become part of our common lexicon. "Fasten your seat belts, it's going to be a bumpy ride" seems most appropriate to introduce Ms. Davis' "Black Beauty" to this once-in-a-lifetime auction opportunity. To those silver screen images, we add the sight of Bette Davis driving through the streets of Beverly Hills and Hollywood, on her way to a party, or to a dinner with Roddy Mcdowell, Robert Wagner or Bob Osborne. Dressed to the "Nines" as always with hat, purse, scarf flying out the window and the ever present cigarette in hand, even when her exquisitely gloved hands were on the wheel. The ashtray was proof of her indulgence. Sometimes an errant ash would get away. The Mustang is un-restored and retains a small number of cigarette burns in the carpet, evidence of her concentration on something else. The tale of the Mustang begins on April 5, 1980 (Ms. Davis' 72nd birthday). Ms. Davis phoned Crenshaw Motors in Los Angeles and said, "This is Bette Davis. I would like to order an American car. A Ford Mustang. Black with red interior." (She liked red; it was her initials for her full name 'Ruth Elizabeth Davis') "Please make it a 2-door hardtop. Not a convertible. I will have my attorney, Harold Schiff, phone you for details. Thank you." Click, cut and print. And a black Mustang with red interior was what she got and adored. Bette Davis named her beloved automobile "Black Beauty". While Ms. Davis took limos for celebrity and professional events, the Mustang was all things private, personal and down to earth, but also strong, classy and stylish. Just like her. Ms. Davis' friends knew of her pride in her "Black Beauty" Mustang. Enough so that it is even mentioned in the book "Bette Davis, a biography" by Barbara Leaming. This Mustang, in all its glory, comes with its original documentation of the sales receipts, correspondence, owner I.D. cards and original license plates. There have been only two owners of this automobile, Ms. Davis and her personal assistant and co-executor of her estate, Kathryn Sermak. It has been on display for the past seven years at the Petersen Automotive Museum in Los Angeles.

I would love to have it even though it was definitely smoked in

There's a car that will sell for WAY to much $$$$. Cars should be based on what they are not who owned them....
    82 Capri RS, 5.8L, solid drop mounts, areomotive fuel system, 3" exhaust, ROD six speed, MM torque arm suspension, "mathis" 90 k-member, 04 cobra control arms, h&r springs, koni shocks, m-2300-k, caged, battery relocate

Quote Originally Posted by superhighoutput View Post
    Vehicle Details

LotNumber 460
    Hammer Price Not Sold
    Year 1980
    CarMake FORD
    CarModel MUSTANG
    CarStyle COUPE "BETTE DAVIS'"
    ExteriorColor BLACK
    Interiorcolor RED
    Cylinders V6
    Engine 3.3 LITER
    Transmission AUTOMATIC

Funny looking V6 they have there. I would hope that they call it an inline 4 when it goes up on the block. Otherwise somebody is going to be mad.
    2004 Mach 1 The garge queen
    1988 F250 5.8L 5 spd 4x4 A true work horse!
    1980 F100 stepside Yard ordament
    1983 Capri L 5.8L FINALLY!!!
    ^Ready to play!!!!

Looks more like an I-6?
    86 LX Coupe 4E
    85 SVO Hertz 4E
    85.5 SVO 2R orig owner
    86 SVO 7B
    66 Fastback

the ford inline six has a lot of aftermarket support ,they can make some good hp numbers and fantastic torque numbers
    HP
    323 @ 4500
    TQ
    502 @ 2650
    and pretty quick in the 1/4 also

@

http://www.classicinlines.com/dynoroom.asp

nice (four) eyes.
    1999 SE sedan - 5-speed, Amazon green with med. prairie tan interior. needs waxed.

1998 ZX2 - silver with gray interior. needs cleaned.

Quote Originally Posted by superhighoutput View Post
    the ford inline six has a lot of aftermarket support ,they can make some good hp numbers and fantastic torque numbers
    HP
    323 @ 4500
    TQ
    502 @ 2650
    and pretty quick in the 1/4 also

@

http://www.classicinlines.com/dynoroom.asp
    They make good street rod motors
    82 Capri RS, 5.8L, solid drop mounts, areomotive fuel system, 3" exhaust, ROD six speed, MM torque arm suspension, "mathis" 90 k-member, 04 cobra control arms, h&r springs, koni shocks, m-2300-k, caged, battery relocate

Quote Originally Posted by Ken P View Post
    Looks more like an I-6?

Your right. I just over looked the other 2 plug wires. Wich upon better inspection they are there.
    2004 Mach 1 The garge queen
    1988 F250 5.8L 5 spd 4x4 A true work horse!
    1980 F100 stepside Yard ordament
    1983 Capri L 5.8L FINALLY!!!
    ^Ready to play!!!!

Bette Davis has the look of a Slo-maro owner after being spanked by a 4eye
    WOW!

This reminds me of the episode of "seinfeld" where george buys jon voight's old lebaron....
    92LX coupe, Gone...
    93LX coupe, Gone...
    84Turbo GT, Gone...
    85LX coupe, Gone...
    82GT T-top, Gone...

So, does it have Bette Davis (four) eyes???

(Sometimes I crack myself up!)

someone should buy it and drop a 460 in it, and smoke some tires lol.

Its just a straight 6 couple nothing special except she owned it

Okay, I dont know a lot about Bette Davis ---- and NEVER EVER EVER to insult a fox body foureye ---- but was the dealership out of Rolls Royces that day?

And a question --------------------- If that first picture is from the Barrett-Jackson catalog, wouldnt (or shouldnt) they have the knowledge to list the car as a sedan and not a coupe???
    Last edited by dburdyshaw; 10-08-2008 at 10:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dburdyshaw View Post

thats what I was thinking when I made my comment above.
    1999 SE sedan - 5-speed, Amazon green with med. prairie tan interior. needs waxed.

1998 ZX2 - silver with gray interior. needs cleaned.

JUST SOLD FOR $50,000 BUCKS!!!! No B.S !!!!

judging from ms. davis' picture it has better looking eyes even tho there are four of them (shiver)
    83 Mustang GLX conv (in sonic blue)4.3/SC -coming soon! "Project Baby"
    1988 Lincoln Town Car Limousine, Crafted by American Custom Coach Works- "Project Bertha"

proud member:
    10 Hole Mafia
    Anti-cowl club
    Bent Six Bastards, lol

Well, I'll be honest. I would've missed this one by a country mile. I would have never thought that this car would have brought that much money.

It would have been my opinion that it was (sad to say) past the time for a connection with Bette Davis ---- coupled with the "modest" popularity of the foureyes ---- making this car not sought after enough to bring big dollars.

Obviously, I was wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by pextor View Post
    thats what I was thinking when I made my comment above.
    Great minds think alike ------------------------- and (apparently) so do ours!

I would've missed this one by a country mile. I would have never thought that this car would have brought that much money.

It would have been my opinion that it was (sad to say) past the time for a connection with Bette Davis. Coupled with the "modest" popularity of the foureyes making this car not sought after enough to bring big dollars. Obviously, I was wrong.
    Well I wouldn't say you were wrong. This is just another example of Barrett-Jackson, or just like EBay, where maybe one or two people want something bad enough and apparently have money to burn.

I don't think it represents a true value but instead an artificial one. I'd like to see this car go back across the block in six months or maybe a year from now. I'd bet it wouldn't bring another $50,000 or anything higher for that matter. This seems to be an isolated event and not something that will be easily repeated.
    86 LX Coupe 4E
    85 SVO Hertz 4E
    85.5 SVO 2R orig owner
    86 SVO 7B
    66 Fastback

Nottingham, PA now...from Perryville, MD...From Levittown, PA

On the pics of the outside, aren't the two argent (?) stripes INSIDE of the door mouldings supposed to wrap around the front and rear bumper covers?
    My name is Andrew
    1986 GT Convertible- 2nd owner
    1984 SVO-Impound Yard find

Quote Originally Posted by Ken P View Post
    Well I wouldn't say you were wrong. This is just another example of Barrett-Jackson, or just like EBay, where maybe one or two people want something bad enough and apparently have money to burn.

I don't think it represents a true value but instead an artificial one. I'd like to see this car go back across the block in six months or maybe a year from now. I'd bet it wouldn't bring another $50,000 or anything higher for that matter. This seems to be an isolated event and not something that will be easily repeated.
    You're likely right.

A few years ago, the actual car that was used in the "I Love Lucy" series when they "drove" from New York to Los Angeles (when 'Ricky' went to LA to make a movie) sold at Barrett-Jackson for just around $50,000 ---- and I would have thought that it would've brought a lot more ---- though I have a skewed opinion since I think that "I Love Lucy" is the all-time best show on television (past, present, future).

Every time I think I could've had Lucy's car, I hear my friend saying, "You should've spoke up one more time."

I use photos of it as my screen saver from time to time. It would've been cool to have lived back in the 50s. Those cars back then were so elegant.

Default "police border engine" and "AudioVox" cassette player?

I've just found some other high res pics from Bette's car here:

https://www.mecum.com/lots/LA0713-15...-ford-mustang/

Name:  1980 - Base 3.3 black notch Bette Davis 72nd bd Police Border 001.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  193.9 KB.

Name:  1980 - Base 3.3 black notch Bette Davis 72nd bd Police Border 005.jpg
Size:  114.6 KB
    They mention it's got a "police border engine".

What's this? I did not found anything about this term and I'm not an English native speaker... has it something to do with the border police? Did such engines (I6 3.3) exist in California in 1980? What was the difference to an ordinary 3.3Lt?

The other question is about that "AudioVox" radio/cassette player:

was it factory or after market? If factory what would be the "R" code on the door tag (e.g. : R - 7 = AM/FM stereo cassette)?

https://cdn1.mecum.com/auctions/la07...?1372856562000

Name:  1980 - Base 3.3 black notch Bette Davis 72nd bd Police Border 010.jpg
Size:  80.5 KB

thanks
    '79 Ghia 5.0 notch, '94 C4 6-sp vert (sold), '95 Cobra coupe w/Vortech SC (sold), '88 GT 5-sp vert (sold), '86 GT 5-sp vert (sold)

nickname: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBCFM5rUfuI

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast