Close

Default Hooking Up a Stock Air Cleaner

I am finally going to trash the cheap, aftermarket open-element chrome air cleaner that is on my 1985 GT. In its place, I am going to put a stock 1985 Ford Mustang twin snorkel air cleaner back on it. However, I was a kid when carburetors were replaced with fuel injection, so I know NOTHING about how the thermostatic air cleaners hooked up. I think I understand how they work, but I don't know where the vacuum lines go to...

This air cleaner has a GREEN sensor and a PURPLE sensor located inside the housing, in addition to a temperature sensor, and all are original Ford parts. The purple sensor is marked "TVS." There are 2 ports on each sensor.

On the GREEN sensor, there is a hose (blue stripe) that connects to a port on the temperature sensor, The other port of the temperature sensor has a vacuum hose (green stripe) that connects to a tee attached under the air cleaner. Where does the vacuum hose route to from the other port of the tee?

There are two ports on the PURPLE sensor (marked "TVS") with nothing attached to either port. Any idea where these might hook up to?

And finally, there are two very small hoses attached to the snorkel motors, and then they connect to a tee behind the air cleaner housing. What do they connect to after the tee?

Any help would be much appreciated!

CFI or Carbed air cleaner?

And is this a CFI or Carbed 5.0 car?

It is a 1985 carbed air cleaner, and it is going on a four-barrel carbureted 5.0L.

Can somebody help me? I really want to hook this air cleaner back up and have it work the way it was intended.

Thanks!

Here is a bottom view of what I have. Which port goes to manifold vacuum, and which port goes to the "tee" that connects to the snorkel motors?

Here is a top view of what I have. The only difference is, mine has an additional PURPLE sensor with two vacuum ports that has nothing going to it. Where do these two ports hook up?

Those pictures you have there are for a CFI air cleaner.

There is an extra hole/port on CFI air cleaners.

-Mike

This is an 83 unit that came from a 5.0 4speed car. Hope it helps.

86 GT vert
    86 LX vert
    86 coupe

Thank you Wilson! Your pics are a big help. My air cleaner looks just like yours.

In your last pic, you can see a PURPLE sensor of some sort right above the Mountain Dew can. This sensor is an original Ford sensor marked "TVS" on my air cleaner. What is that sensor for, and where do the open ports go to???

Quote Originally Posted by RickFury View Post
    Thank you Wilson! Your pics are a big help. My air cleaner looks just like yours.

In your last pic, you can see a PURPLE sensor of some sort right above the Mountain Dew can. This sensor is an original Ford sensor marked "TVS" on my air cleaner. What is that sensor for, and where do the open ports go to???
    I don't think the 85s have that.

Now I gotta go check...

-Mike

I don't know where the purple sensor was plumbed into. The air cleaner was sitting on the front seat of the car when I found it at the junkyard so I didn't have to disconnect anything. Sorry I can't help you with that.
    86 GT vert
    86 LX vert
    86 coupe

Actually, my air cleaner was removed from a 1983 model carbed Mustang.

I am going to put it on my '85 carbed Mustang.

I didn't realize there was a difference.

I guess I could just plug it up, but I would like to know what the purpose of it was.

Your in luck. My 83 Capri RS 5.0 is mostly stock. My air cleaner has both the green and purple sensors. Looks like you should be o.k. for the green sensor which is called a CWM (cold weather modulator) the previous pics show that very well. The purple sensor was for emissions components.Two hoses just like you said. One routes to what is called a TAB/TAD soleniod located on firewall (passenger side) just beside air cleaner. The other travels towards (pass. side) strut tower. Then turns towards motor and mounts on to the Thermactor diverter valve. This valve sits on the side of the motor just beside the valve cover.I'm not 100% sure of it's operation but it belongs to the air pump and all those hoses and pipes from rear of heads,catalytic converter etc..AN emission repair manual shows a good part of this.I used a Haynes manual to figure out my car. Again I have no pics. To much snow here,cars in locked storage till spring. Sorry....

I did find a old photo of the engine bay. It might be hard to see the hoses but you can see the solenoid on the firewal
    l.

Thank you so much, 83 V8 RS T's! At least now I know that I do not need the purple sensor at all. I KNEW that Ford put it there for a reason!

Thanks again!