Close

FEP Power Member

Default Current Dash Pads

It's been a few years since I bought a repro dash pad. Back then it was a choice of solid urethane (wavey) or the vinyl skinned possibly from Dashes Direct.

I just went to Summit and I see 2 choices. Dashes Direct and Drake Muscle Car Parts. I'm pretty sure I bought the Dashes Direct the last time. I was good but not perfect. I'm leaning towards the Drake one now. Anyone have experience with this one?
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

The last one I purchased was a Dashes Direct and it was the more expensive of the two they offered at the time. As you stated it was good, but not perfect. Was better than the cheaper option that didn't fit well IMHO. Unfortunately I have no experience with the Drake dash at this point. I hope its decent, but no idea. If you go that route, definitely let us know your thoughts and impressions.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP Power Member

I was about ready to buy the Drake pad but there is very little info on it and really no reviews. Close look at the photo, it looks wavy like the old urethane ones. The description says vinyl and the urethane. It does not really say vinyl skinned.

Going back and looking at the Dashes Direct piece, it seems to have the same wavy picture! I did not see any mention of the metal frame this time.

I tried looking for my previous post on the last install. I could not find it on the first pass.

Digging Deeper into this:
    LMR shows 2 different Dash pads from Dashes Direct.
    -1 Dashes Direct is listed as Premium and says vinyl skinned for $30 more. The LMR site does have a link to their paints. Reviews are very good but only show black. Integral skin polyurethane foam and vacuum-formed vinyl cover just like Ford used. Featuring the perforations for the dash speaker openings, defrost vents, and is finished with a factory-style correct grain pattern. Dashes Direct is so confident with their premium dash pads they back them with a lifetime warranty!

-2 Dashes Direct one is molded urethane and comes in most colors. Lifetime warranty per Dashes Direct.

-3 Drake Muscle Car, Scott Drake Mustang and Universal Urethane have gone to great lengths to make their dash pads the best on the market. The vinyl is vacuum formed and then filled with a space-age urethane. I saw numerous listings under Scott Drake and others under Drake Muscle Cars. Holley listed the above comment. I'm not convinced the vinyl skinned and Urethane and in the same product as we would expect.

-4?, OER lists a Urethane pad Not sure who makes it.

Prices vary from $201 to $310.
    Last edited by KevinK; 06-12-2024 at 01:04 PM.

FEP Power Member

I found my previous posts as well as posts from others.
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...light=dash+pad

It seems I was disappointed with it not being vinyl skinned and fully molded urethane on a steel frame. Back to reading the product details.

The last one seems to be holding up ok.
    -I wish I had seen the note about the defrost vent screws having no support.
    -Speaker grill holes are not clean holes. Not immediately noticeable.
    -The speaker grills seem to sag IIRC. I guess its better than having cracks.

FEP Power Member

Update on the Dash Pads.

Dashes Direct makes 2 versions. The also sell to Scott Drake and Drake Muscle Cars.

#1 Best version is Vinyl Skinned but only comes in black. Can be dyed but needs to be cleaned with SEM vinyl prep like 7-8 times to remove the mold release. Next coat it with SEM Sand Free. Lastly, paint with SEM dye (recommended) or Color Bond.

#2 Is a urethane product with a metal frame. These can be distorted in shipping. The metal frame can be smoothed out by gently pushing on it before installing.

Note: I asked about the old wavy heavy version, they believe it was made by another company in India.

My oem dash defrost vent screw holes cracked widely long ago.
    Dash cover speaker grill hole underside can be reinforced by gluing speaker cloth to them.
    The cloth is found covering many factory speakers. Peel off, trim, and sparingly glue them in.
    The vinyl version looks to be sold out. Urethane looks fine. Which ever is the solution to cracking.
    Less flex and protection from sun. Old cars had metal dashes. Metal frame may be better.
    I hide two cracks with loose micro cloth. Looks innocent. Blows around with windows down.

Note NPD has some and decent prices.
    Last edited by gr79; 06-14-2024 at 09:42 PM.