Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Have 2.3 with carb in my car and factory 2.3 EFI in the truck.
    Both have nearly the same overall chassis mileage. Carb gets slightly less fuel mileage.
    Carb has few parts to repair or tune than EFI. Swap carbs vs EEC electrical diagnostic and parts.
    Never recall a vapor lock issue. The carb starts the car faster though needs longer warmup.
    EFI is like a carb with all its hard parts scattered around the engine bay. Then add electrical.
    Either system can run the engine good or bad. Both get down the road.
    Get the carbs to run like EFI, get the EFIs to run like a carb?

Example of independant parts like carbs vs 'networked' grid like EFI.
    https://www.ford-trucks.com/articles...mpaign=content
    Last edited by gr79; 09-01-2023 at 05:12 PM.

85gtinva,
    Looking forward to your pictures.
    On a side note , I never had a vapor lock problem.
    Maybe I was lucky?
    I also kept the stock dual snorkel air cleaner with
    my carb change and vented the carbs vapor hose’s from the 4180
    to the air cleaner by adding a couple of nipples to it.
    Can’t see it , it’s hidden , so I didn’t defeat the vapor system, it still works.

On another side note, my 84 SVO, EEC system , I was always using the dam code reader!
    Loved that car… hated it as well, wish I still had it.
    Scott
    84 GT 5.0L, T5, 8.8T-Lock, 5lug with 93 Cobra Brakes,
    MM RCL's,CC plates, Koni Reds, 17" Tri-Stars...CoilOvers next.

Quote Originally Posted by dcs13 View Post
    I work at a hot rod shop. Over the last few years Ive had experience with Fitech and Holley Sniper units. The Fitechs ALWAYS give us problems. We will NOT use them anymore. I put a Sniper on my personal car (84 Thunderbird, 351w). I love it. The Holley tuning is open source, so you dont need to buy software to tweak it (yes, it will need some tweaking). The Holley forums are AWESOME. Those guys are really helpful. You can upload your config and catalogs and they will offer a lot of help. On my application, I utilized a stock in tank EFI pump and regulated it with a corvette return style filter... Easy peasy. Feel free to hit me up if you have any questions. Its worth it.
    What issue did you have with the Fitech ? Using it on my Zephyr that I'm going to use with a mild 302/347. Car is going to be set up more as a cruiser.

Hey again fellow enthusiasts, just a quick update on my '85. Put about 700 miles on her since getting the Edelbrock ProFlo 4 EFI installed. So far so good! No more sudden stalling and easy cold starts. Car runs great, I drive her on nice days to work about 6 miles each way. Had a chance to rev it out on a particular straight stretch and I was back in 1985 all over again. Didn't realize how far the Mustang has come until I jump in the '15 Coyote and take on that same stretch of road. The '85 makes you actually drive! The notchy shifter and tail end coming undone..Priceless!

The '85 makes you actually drive! The notchy shifter and tail end coming undone..Priceless!

2x old cars are the best when in good repair and tune. At their best playing AM news sports and music from their era.
    Good to hear an EFI conversion working as smooth as a factory system does.

FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by 85foxinva View Post
    Hey again fellow enthusiasts, just a quick update on my '85. Put about 700 miles on her since getting the Edelbrock ProFlo 4 EFI installed. So far so good! No more sudden stalling and easy cold starts. Car runs great, I drive her on nice days to work about 6 miles each way. Had a chance to rev it out on a particular straight stretch and I was back in 1985 all over again. Didn't realize how far the Mustang has come until I jump in the '15 Coyote and take on that same stretch of road. The '85 makes you actually drive! The notchy shifter and tail end coming undone..Priceless!
    Great info here and thanks for sharing!

Were there any issues getting the system to fit under the stock hood? Can you post up a pic of your engine compartment too and possibly describe what had to be done to get the stock air cleaner to work?
    '85 GT

Quote Originally Posted by qikgts View Post
    Great info here and thanks for sharing!

Were there any issues getting the system to fit under the stock hood? Can you post up a pic of your engine compartment too and possibly describe what had to be done to get the stock air cleaner to work?
    I had all the work done at a Mustang Specialty shop in Richmond VA. Look up Mustang Dons facebook and Bryans '85, he has the install on there. He mocked it up to look stock with the stock air cleaner on top,no issues with fit.

Glad you’re able to get it out and enjoying it.
    Ya, I enjoy my 84 to… tail out can be fun. My GT always brings a smile to my face as well.
    I never drove a coyote powered mustang and I am sure they are fast as hell.
    I wonder with all the technology built in them and the car in general, especially the 2015’s on up, would it have the same smile factor?
    Anyway, too would like to see the completed pictures of your fuel injection conversion.
    Scott
    84 GT 5.0L, T5, 8.8T-Lock, 5lug with 93 Cobra Brakes,
    MM RCL's,CC plates, Koni Reds, 17" Tri-Stars...CoilOvers next.

FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by 85foxinva View Post
    I had all the work done at a Mustang Specialty shop in Richmond VA. Look up Mustang Dons facebook and Bryans '85, he has the install on there. He mocked it up to look stock with the stock air cleaner on top,no issues with fit.
    I took a look. Thanks.

(FYI, I'm really not trying to come across like some know it all here... ) I hope those guys left you with a functional PCV system.

I say that because I've never seen one plumbed like yours is in those pix. From what I can tell, there is no fresh air inlet. If what I think is true and there isn't some breather I can't see, they should have just left it like it was from the factory. That was: PCV hose connected to the port in the front of the throttle body, PCV valve in the drivers VC, pass VC hose going into the air cleaner base.

Without a properly working system, at the minimum, you can expect engine gasket leaks and having to change the oil very frequently. In the worst case, there could actually be lubrication issues due to an insufficient film of oil staying on the bearings, etc.

I hope I'm missing something here.
    '85 GT

I took a look. Thanks.

(FYI, I'm really not trying to come across like some know it all here... ) I hope those guys left you with a functional PCV system.

I say that because I've never seen one plumbed like yours is in those pix. From what I can tell, there is no fresh air inlet. If what I think is true and there isn't some breather I can't see, they should have just left it like it was from the factory. That was: PCV hose connected to the port in the front of the throttle body, PCV valve in the drivers VC, pass VC hose going into the air cleaner base.

Without a properly working system, at the minimum, you can expect engine gasket leaks and having to change the oil very frequently. In the worst case, there could actually be lubrication issues due to an insufficient film of oil staying on the bearings, etc.

Thanks for that, these guys have been installing the Edelbrock Pro Flo system and restoring Mustangs for years and I am confident they did whatever was necessary on my build. It's not a daily driver as it only has 37k original miles. It's just something I found that reminds me of my deceased uncle who had one brand new in 1985 and the days we went to the racetrack. I have all the original parts that were replaced in the event I decide to sell it later on in life. BTW, I asked them to try to retro fit the air cleaner to make it look factory.

Still enjoying my '85. I take her out on nice days to and from work. Still getting thumbs up and questions and the occasional offer .

I took a look. Thanks.

Looks like the 2 valve cover ports are plumbed together with a T in the middle which goes into the throttle body port. It would have been better and easier to plumb it like it came from the factory...same goes for the ignition coil...that would have hooked the back passenger side port into the intake breather.

Name:  Mustang don 85 tb.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  247.5 KB
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

FEP Supporter

10-4. I agree with you 100% BDub.

Glad you're still diggin' your ride 85foxinva!

'85 GT

Yes!!! I drive it once a week, 15 miles round trip to and from work. Drives great for a near 40 year old vehicle. I absolutely love it. Haven’t quite turned 38k miles.

Well, if someone is interested, I am going to go back to a carb. I like my FiTech and it works great, but I want to reduce my wiring and complexity so am going to go back. That way it is less wiring and 'stuff' to move around. Original plan was to move my ForceFuel unit to the trunk along with the battery, but I have decided I do not want to run that many wires to the rear and front.
    I would make someone a great deal on a 30005 system... Lol
    I will probably advertise it here later in the for sale section.
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12