Close

FEP Power Member

Default Another LED option?

'86 GT - weekend driver
    '86 Capri 5.0
    '86 Turbo Coupe
    '17 Mustang GT
    '23 BRONCO

LED "bulbs" do not belong in reflector housings. They might be "brighter" than incandescent bulbs but the light focus is ****.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    LED "bulbs" do not belong in reflector housings. They might be "brighter" than incandescent bulbs but the light focus is ****.
    I've got the RMS LED's in my Marchals. They look bad ass for cruising and you can leave them on without running at 7,000 degrees.

Light is light. The brightness and color doesn't affect the focus whatsoever - it's the position of the source in relation to the reflector that dictates focus. Its just geometry - Think about MagLite flashlights with LED's, they focus just fine with the same concept.

With that, regarding the H2 Fog bulbs - I think that's because of the diodes are only on the top, bottom, and front....not 360 degrees like the headlights. There's nothing directly shining on the sides, thus the factory reflector doesn't work as well.

I'd imagine the headlights are ok since they come with their own housings.
    Last edited by ITdude87; 07-17-2023 at 09:36 PM.
    1986 Mustang GT - 2A, 5 Sp
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

I'll have to look back and see what led bulbs and housings I used, but they are amazeballs compared to stock. The pattern seems like it's made for it. Focused perfectly and very easy to dial in. It really cuts through the dark back roads without blinding oncoming traffic, unless I high-beam them... and then, I can see the outline of their bones lol!

Now, I can't vouch for any other housings and I have had some other vehicles that were really finicky about the led bulb shape/design. For the most part, projector housings seem to be the most problematic. In fact, I gave up trying to find led's that would work in my 2008 Mazda CX9. If I hold them in at the correct angle, they'll shine bright, but mounted in the housing, they're almost as dull as the old halogens. FWIW, I believe the reflective surface may be worn on the inside. I would replace the housings, but they cost $1200 each and the vehicle is just an old beater I use for driving to work. The high beams are still great. I added some aftermarket fog lights and modified the housings to accept some good led's.

We went through a few different sets on the wife's 4Runner before we found some that worked good in the low beam projector housings. Her lows, highs, and fogs are all great now. She loves it.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

I think part of the issue is lumens. Stockers I believe are under 2000 lumens each. So getting an LED that's 7 times as bright is, well, too much. That's part of the blinding others problem. Part of the too much light scatter problem.

That's why I looked for LED bulbs on the LOWER end of the luminosity range. One tends to get a good light pattern without undue brightness. Yet still better than any sealed beam from the factory.
    So Many people go for SUPER bright, which blinds others, run too hot, ....

I have H4 LED conversion housings/bulbs in the Granada. Awesome! I think they're 2000-2500 lumen rated. Lows are great/adequate. Highs are AWESOME. I've never been flashed by an oncoming driver. Compared to factory 1500 lumen bulbs they're great!

I have LED headlight bulbs, new factory housings, in my 2003 Silverado. Same thing. Awesome brightness, but great cut off line, only a little higher lumen rating than stock. And a pure white light that works great. Again, never been flashed by oncoming traffic and they are great at lighting up the road!

I see awesomely in the dark with zero trouble to other drivers.
    Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
    Last edited by richpet; 08-22-2023 at 11:13 PM.
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"