Close

Default Making '85-'86 SVO/'93 Cobra Taillights

Hey everyone,

I have been searching lately for somewhere to get some real nice Cobra style taillights as I think it would fit my car nicely and I really dig the pinstriping. I was going to paint my current ones with some SEM #39153 but I'm worried about it not turning out. Does anyone have some advice as to painting or possibly a source for some NOS lenses?

I know its not really a make or break of the car but I believe it's all in the small details of a car. It would tie the rear end together.

Daniel

Not NOS, but an option for you if you don't want to paint them yourself. https://lmr.com/item/LRS-13450C-K/85...o-For-93-Cobra

I paint mine when I want the look. Not that difficult. Time consuming, but not difficult. I personally use BC/CC and Clear the entire lens so they look brand new when done. I have been doing that for 25 years and it works really well.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Not NOS, but an option for you if you don't want to paint them yourself. https://lmr.com/item/LRS-13450C-K/85...o-For-93-Cobra

I paint mine when I want the look. Not that difficult. Time consuming, but not difficult. I personally use BC/CC and Clear the entire lens so they look brand new when done. I have been doing that for 25 years and it works really well.
    I was going to buy the ones from LMR but they were out of stock for the longest time. Then they were in stock and I read the reviews saying its a tape stripe that seems of poor quality.

I don't mind taking the time to do it right the first time. I'm young lol I have all the time in the world right now I just want something that lasts. Any suggestions for a base and clear to use to match 86 trim?

PPG DCC33717 is the best match I have found for the 85/86 trim charcoal grey. I believe the original mixture is a low gloss single stage urethane. You can have it mixed and sprayed that way or you can use that code to get you the right "color" and then have it mixed into a BC if you prefer. Then you can topcoat with a Matt Clear or even a Hi Gloss Clear for the lights.

I personally have used the BC color on the lights and the clear the entire light assembly with Hi Gloss 2K Urethane Clear. Gives the old original lights new life and makes them look brand new. No it's not technically correct, but it looks great and holds up very well long term. Most people can't tell the difference. If you want them to look "correct" then spray the stripes as matte sheen and then either clear the rest of the lens or polish them. Just don't forget that the stripe on the outside of the light were the "side reflector marker" is stops and doesn't extend all the way. Looks a pictures of original lights if that doesn't make sense to you. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    PPG DCC33717 is the best match I have found for the 85/86 trim charcoal grey. I believe the original mixture is a low gloss single stage urethane. You can have it mixed and sprayed that way or you can use that code to get you the right "color" and then have it mixed into a BC if you prefer. Then you can topcoat with a Matt Clear or even a Hi Gloss Clear for the lights.

I personally have used the BC color on the lights and the clear the entire light assembly with Hi Gloss 2K Urethane Clear. Gives the old original lights new life and makes them look brand new. No it's not technically correct, but it looks great and holds up very well long term. Most people can't tell the difference. If you want them to look "correct" then spray the stripes as matte sheen and then either clear the rest of the lens or polish them. Just don't forget that the stripe on the outside of the light were the "side reflector marker" is stops and doesn't extend all the way. Looks a pictures of original lights if that doesn't make sense to you. Good Luck!
    Thanks Wraith, you always have great advice for these things, when I get the chance I'll buy the BC and clear and I'll clear the entire light just for longevity and it will probably look better too lol. Now lets hope I don't mess up the painting! And yes I understood the stripe not going over the reflector I'll have to look up reference pics though.

Glad to help! If you have questions or issues, feel free to PM me. Just take your time and make sure the prep is right and the lenses will turn out great! I personally like to wet sand them with 400 grit to prep them for the stripes and the clear. You can go finer if you like, but I personally don't like to go finer than 600 grit as I want to make sure I get some mechanical adhesion. If you use a quality "Euro" Hi Solids clear then I guarantee they will come out slick as glass. I generally never need to cut and buff them unless I put a run in them or get trash in the clear. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller