Close

Default Any "Flockers" still on here? :) (Fuzzy SVO Dash)

Found several old threads and posts on guys who used to do the dash trim flocking. Sadly most members who did them here or ebay vendor etc are no longer around or inactive a long while.... By chance anyone on here do this process on the side? Or know anyone who has experience doing them and wanting to take more on?

Have found the DIY links, sadly finish and or paint/adhesive projects just never pan out well for me.

Any recommendations/advice/opinions are appreciated, thanks!

FEP Power Member

I know Chaulky over at svocop did it a while back and I was going to hit him up the next time. I have not heard much from him in a while. I also ran across a brochure on the materials this morning. The svo is not just black but a bit of gray too. My 85 Asc Capri seems to have a similar finish on the panels as well in tan but they are covered with real wood panels.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Thanks for info, ill look into Chaulky and see if hes still active.

Some images from an orig low mile 86

Those panels have been reflocked and are not original. Chalky is currently working here in Georgia on a new film being shot near Atlanta. I'd post pics of original but was never able to figure out how to delete the ancient / dead links that are keeping me from posting new ones.
    86 LX Coupe 4E
    84 SVO Watkins Glen Pace Car 1E
    85 SVO Hertz 4E
    85.5 SVO 2R orig owner
    86 SVO 7B
    66 Fastback
    55 Willys Jeep Overland Wagon

Copy that Ken, thanks for confirming. I've seen varying different shades, but a few of the super low miler ones appear to be close to the above. OE stock photos i've found lack good detail to do a good comparison.

If anyone has any spare woodgrain dash panels, specifically the passenger side ones, i'd be interested

Never seen one that was redone that looked good to me. Sorry. that's just me. Not trying to offend anyone. I know you really have no other option after 30+ years so I get it. The ones I've seen are just too much "In your FACE" if that makes sense. It never was that bright when new sitting in the showroom.

Default Any "Flockers" still on here? (Fuzzy SVO Dash)

I spray painted a set, very lightly, over the original flocking and it was presentable.

I agree with last post, I’ve never seen a re-flocked that looks right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FEP Senior Member

I purchased an SVO from a body shop that was located in Plainfield, off 59. He had redone the dash panels and it turned out pretty decent. That was almost 10 years ago. Honestly, I don't think the shop is there anymore. You might want to ask a local shop. It's textured with color mixed in.

I agree with everyone above. That is certainly not what the original panels look like.
    Bleed Ford Blue! '84 Grabber Orange SVO, '88 Saleen 1 of 4 w/Automatic, '89 Steeda, '71 DeTomaso Pantera GT5 Wide Body EFI 4.6 DOHC...soon to be a Gen3 Coyote and some Old Ford Muscle w/ BB power. 1.21 Jigawatts!!?? PETRO EXPRESS=CITGO=BOYCOTT!
    State of Illinois - Taxation without Representation!

FEP Supporter

I am lucky. For a 155,000 km car, my flocking is very nice. I slap hands of any passengers getting too close to it with a finger trying to touch it

Weird I do not have any really good pictures of it. This is the best I could find to show a texture.

Name:  IMG_0508.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  210.0 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    I think this is my favorite car on the site right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUECRAPI
    This is the best thread on the internet.
    Darran
    1982-1C (Black) GT T-Top:http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...he-Road-Thread
    1986-9L (Oxford White) SVO: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-did-1986-SVO
    1979 (85:Tangerine) Coupe (my son's): http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...gerine-Machine
    1979 (3F:Light Medium Blue) Coupe (one day to be my other son's!) http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...um-Blue-Bomber!

FEP Senior Member

Great pic Darran. Nice, original flocking.
    Bleed Ford Blue! '84 Grabber Orange SVO, '88 Saleen 1 of 4 w/Automatic, '89 Steeda, '71 DeTomaso Pantera GT5 Wide Body EFI 4.6 DOHC...soon to be a Gen3 Coyote and some Old Ford Muscle w/ BB power. 1.21 Jigawatts!!?? PETRO EXPRESS=CITGO=BOYCOTT!
    State of Illinois - Taxation without Representation!

I have pics of the dashes in both the 86 Comp Prep and 85.5 Barrett-Jackson SVOs but like I said above I can't seem to post pics anymore. They were both 10,xxx mile originals.

When my 7B was restored my friend reflocked the panels. They came out kinda light but they actually match the fabric color of the seat centers and door uppers. I think it looks pretty good and almost like it was supposed to be that way from the factory. That was about 10 years ago and it's held up really well.
    86 LX Coupe 4E
    84 SVO Watkins Glen Pace Car 1E
    85 SVO Hertz 4E
    85.5 SVO 2R orig owner
    86 SVO 7B
    66 Fastback
    55 Willys Jeep Overland Wagon

I did a few sets many years ago in the more fuzzy style of flocking. Was good enough for me and my non original car. Since Photobucket went south all of the pictures now are as fuzzy as the flocking.
    Black 1985 GT: 408w, in the 6's in the 1/8 mile
    Bimini Blue 1988 LX 5.0 Coupe 5-speed, Hellion turbo, zero options
    Grabber Yellow 1973 Mustang Mach 1: 351c, toploader
    Black 2012 5.0 GT, 6-speed, Brembo brakes, 3.73's
    Wimbledon White 1966 F-100 Shortbed Styleside, 390, Tremec 3550, FiTech EFI

Did source some extra wood panels with the same blinker and trim edging as ours, figured these would be better to spray than stripping mine down.

Quote Originally Posted by homer302 View Post
    Never seen one that was redone that looked good to me. Sorry. that's just me. Not trying to offend anyone. I know you really have no other option after 30+ years so I get it. The ones I've seen are just too much "In your FACE" if that makes sense. It never was that bright when new sitting in the showroom.
    No offence here, im just eager to have a set that isn't green/brown.... So whatever stock images ppl have will help me hone in on coloring (darker, lighter, etc)

Quote Originally Posted by ddx77 View Post
    I spray painted a set, very lightly, over the original flocking and it was presentable.

I agree with last post, I’ve never seen a re-flocked that looks right.
    If i come across another svo set, I may try this as well, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MIKE'SVO86 View Post
    I purchased an SVO from a body shop that was located in Plainfield, off 59. He had redone the dash panels and it turned out pretty decent. That was almost 10 years ago. Honestly, I don't think the shop is there anymore. You might want to ask a local shop. It's textured with color mixed in.

I agree with everyone above. That is certainly not what the original panels look like.
    Will look into them Mike, thanks! Still need come come rummage through your remaining stash soon

Quote Originally Posted by 82GTforME View Post
    I am lucky. For a 155,000 km car, my flocking is very nice. I slap hands of any passengers getting too close to it with a finger trying to touch it

Weird I do not have any really good pictures of it. This is the best I could find to show a texture.Name:  IMG_0508.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  210.0 KB
    I can totally see being that guy now haha Great condition set you have there, thanks for the picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken P View Post
    I have pics of the dashes in both the 86 Comp Prep and 85.5 Barrett-Jackson SVOs but like I said above I can't seem to post pics anymore. They were both 10,xxx mile originals.

When my 7B was restored my friend reflocked the panels. They came out kinda light but they actually match the fabric color of the seat centers and door uppers. I think it looks pretty good and almost like it was supposed to be that way from the factory. That was about 10 years ago and it's held up really well.
    If you have them, id be happy to host them for ya... I can shoot you my email or send a link to upload them

Quote Originally Posted by Zap's 85 GT View Post
    I did a few sets many years ago in the more fuzzy style of flocking. Was good enough for me and my non original car. Since Photobucket went south all of the pictures now are as fuzzy as the flocking.
    hahah yea, in my hunt and more recently I keep finding the image i need, and its the PB blocked fuzzy ones

Aah. I found some in my album here on FEP.

Black 1985 GT: 408w, in the 6's in the 1/8 mile
    Bimini Blue 1988 LX 5.0 Coupe 5-speed, Hellion turbo, zero options
    Grabber Yellow 1973 Mustang Mach 1: 351c, toploader
    Black 2012 5.0 GT, 6-speed, Brembo brakes, 3.73's
    Wimbledon White 1966 F-100 Shortbed Styleside, 390, Tremec 3550, FiTech EFI

Those look great ZAP, thanks for sharing. Ken also sent me a handful of images of low mile ones i'll look to post here soon.

On this topic, for those who have done this... what has been your best process for removing the warning light and turn signal lenses? Was going to try some light dremel work or soldering iron at the plastic rivets