Close

Page 19 of 37 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Some additional stuff that I have been working on. Tail lights when I started.

Name:  2018-10-05 17.57.39.jpg
Views: 458
Size:  140.0 KB

Split the lenses off the housings and cleaned them up.

Name:  2018-10-06 09.51.15.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  86.2 KB

Masked off and ready for new reflective silver paint.

Name:  2018-10-06 09.51.15.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  86.2 KB

Unmasked and silver repainted.

Name:  2018-10-06 11.51.58.jpg
Views: 481
Size:  77.5 KB
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

There's also the extra things that you don't plan on or expect that really honestly kind of chap your ass with brand new parts.

Name:  2018-10-05 18.00.52.jpg
Views: 474
Size:  86.0 KB

Name:  2018-10-05 18.00.29.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  69.0 KB

Name:  2018-10-05 18.00.35.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  38.9 KB

Apparently the quality control with the new 85/86 body side moldings is hit or miss! One door pieces was really bad, the other not so bad. A pair of the between wheels were good and another pair were terrible!
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    There's also the extra things that you don't plan on or expect that really honestly kind of chap your ass with brand new parts.

Name:  2018-10-05 18.00.52.jpg
Views: 474
Size:  86.0 KB

Name:  2018-10-05 18.00.29.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  69.0 KB

Name:  2018-10-05 18.00.35.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  38.9 KB

Apparently the quality control with the new 85/86 body side moldings is hit or miss! One door pieces was really bad, the other not so bad. A pair of the between wheels were good and another pair were terrible!
    Especially since we make so much off of painting moldings (.3 of an hour) and then get to repair them as well! Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by Davedacarpainter View Post
    Especially since we make so much off of painting moldings (.3 of an hour) and then get to repair them as well! Yay!
    Exactly! I was less than pleased nor impressed with the overall quality on several of the moldings. One of the long door pieces looked like someone had taken a 1" Roloc disc to the majority of it and just put lovely swirl marks right down the middle of it! The two smaller pieces had dents/low spots in the molding. Honestly just looked like crap! It's bad enough on these cars with all the misc trim such as window trim, windshield trim, roof rails, etc. that have dents, dings, etc. that are either almost impossible to get out or just plain time consuming, but to have to do the same to brand new "Reproduction" parts.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Awesome progress!

Super happy to see the updates! I hope the RS is moving through the process right along with it.

Nobody would honestly expect me to drive such a beautiful car to every show, would they? Honestly I hope to drive it to a lot of them, but for the times I don’t shes still going to make an entrance.

Might be the only new trailer I ever get to buy.... am excited to pick it up tomorrow on my way out of Minneapolis.

Should come in very handy during the house move next month.

If I had unlimited budget I’d have a silver 18 Saleen truck towing it, and the trailer would be a gooseneck rather than a bumper hitch. But this is what I picked and I’m excited about.

might have to put some mesh wheels on it, eh? Closest I could get from the trailer builder.

I can’t complain though — I love my tow vehicle. Not bad for 11 years old and nearly 115K miles.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by erratic50; 10-11-2018 at 10:33 PM.

Wow! Super nice

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    Awesome progress!

Super happy to see the updates! I hope the RS is moving through the process right along with it.
    Thanks! The weather down here has not been cooperating at all the last Month and a half. We went from drought to flooding. Typical Texas weather, I swear! The RS is on the back burner as usual. Trying to wrap yours up and then maybe have some time for the RS.

Nice Trailer! Congrats! Hope to do the same some day in the future. Have to see how you like the Bravo, they definitely look nice.

I am heading home for the next week to visit the family and see my youngest daughter go to her first Homecoming.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

I don't see any ecoboost emblems so I'm guessing its a 5.0?
    Current Mustangs
    1966 6 cylinder coupe
    1984 SVO 9W
    1985 Saleen #132

Quote Originally Posted by dagenham View Post
    I don't see any ecoboost emblems so I'm guessing its a 5.0?
    the 2018 Saleen truck is 5.0 based and has AWD and is a 4 door like my current MarkLT.. A supercharger is offered on the Saleen

The new trailer pulled pretty nice behind my LT with its 5.4 and 4 speed automatic. I ran most of the way home on a regular fuel tune but I did start pumping in premium fuel into the tank before I went into MSP. Once I got to the hills west of Des Moines I was just done dealing with what Ford told these trucks to do from the factory.

In went the hypertech tune set on full kill with rev limiter upped to 5500 and 1-2 shift +500 the. 2-3 and 3-4 -500. That got to where I could nearly floor it on level ground in OD without downshifting. If I locked OD out I could floor it in 3rd at 65 or faster without downshifting to 2nd and going sky high on R’s. God sent — set the cruise at 78 and left it locked out of OD and let her eat. Never wasted a downshift and didn’t lose any speed on any of the hills once the tune was right

Would have loved to have it behind our F250 instead. The EFI 460 in that thing would forget its back there, that’s for sure.

The Bravo is only 2600lbs. I can pick the tongue up when it’s empty and just put it where I want it. The frontal area is about like dragging a billboard around. The aero V nose helps dramatically vs a typical trailer but it’s still not awesome.

The crappy trailer I pulled to Austin and back last February resulted in 6.5 mpg going down and 7.6 coming back. This new Bravo is taller but WAY lighter and does much better with wind resistance. I got 11.6 which is .5 better than I usually do with my boat on behind. I’m good with it.

i suspect the 460 would have done around 10.

added pictures of the 20’ Bravo empty on my LT vs the 16’ POS rental loaded and unloadedName:  C2EBE551-AA15-4E4F-80FA-5FF9C678A4CB.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  113.3 KB

One thing is certain — the Bravo with a foxbody and a bunch of spare parts loaded up will weigh less than that stupid rental trailer by itself.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by erratic50; 10-13-2018 at 12:08 PM.

Sorry for the slow updates on the 85.

Trey has had things going on his end and I haven't had time to sort out the engine situation from my end either. Lots of stuff kicking our butts right now from work to family concerns to a move on my end to just life in general.

Finally have a move date on the new house....... nearly 2 months after its supposed to be done!

I had done a bunch of planning and that's all out the window.

I did buy a new friend to go with the trailer. Its named is Dolly -- appliance dolly.

You need an adjustable camper hitch with the sway bars. I could not believe the difference it made towing my camper, just getting the front up so it was level made all the difference in the world. Like from a white knuckle barely 60 on the highway to 70 with the cruise on sipping a coke

I will second James' in that the last 2 months have been crazy and inefficient! Down here in Austin it has rained for almost 2 months straight. At most I don't think we have had more than 3 days in a row in that time where it was clear and sunny. That has really slowed down my ability to paint and get things done here. Oh well! The same is true thru Thursday of this week and then it looks like some really nice weather after that. So things are looking up.

Other progress has been made, but not much that photographs really well, so I haven't posted it. Things will pick up soon and I will get some pictures up for everyone's enjoyment.

Oh! and YES! The same is true for my 82 RS . . . NOTHING has been done to it in over 2 months.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

I've been looking at an equalizer style hitch for my trailer. It pulls very nice without one even at 75+ but the safety aware guy in me knows its better to have one. Plus its easier on the truck and the trailer too.

I'll for sure have to take my 1.5" drop hitch and flip it over if I'm going to load the trailer with any significant amount of tongue weight.

I have a bunch of heavy boxes stacked in it right now and had to move it out of the driveway to take some pictures of my house and it pulls a LOT different now than it did empty.

Having carried each and every thing into the trailer myself I suspect it has around 1500 lbs in it right now, and the weight is entirely in front of the wheels. By the time its loaded it will even out with weight in back.....

I got mine used at a camper place. I think I paid 100 for it. They dont really wear out. They had a pile of them. I think prolly 300plus for a new one. Maybe check a camper place for a cheap one, save a few bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by 2nd chance cobra View Post
    I got mine used at a camper place. I think I paid 100 for it. They dont really wear out. They had a pile of them. I think prolly 300plus for a new one. Maybe check a camper place for a cheap one, save a few bucks.
    GREAT IDEA-- thank you!!

Went out to Facebook and started posting info asking for more details about the car. No hits on anything so far. And actually I don’t have very much to go on.

Nothing really for updates on this end. It’s the 85GT that no one owned or cared about ..... I guess.

Here’s hoping Trey has some updates on his end.

i discovered that Dart makes a 4.2” bore capable block. You can go to a 331 via 4.170 x 3 stroke. 333 at 4.2” but the block is all done, can’t be overbored. 360 via 3.25” x 4.2”. 376 at 4.2 x 3.4.

That is an enormous bore. Would really promote flow at the intake valve. But a very expensive build by the time you put in the hardware to turn the kind of RPM tat combo is capable of.

would be awesome to have a 9500 RPM in a Four Eyed Fox, but that much cam is not real streetable.

Nothing that photographs really well at this point.

Front suspension has all been removed making way for all the new parts and upgrades.

Name:  2018-11-18 14.32.44.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  104.4 KB

Name:  2018-11-18 14.32.49.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  100.8 KB

Name:  2018-11-18 14.32.54.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  94.6 KB

The rear axle has been removed as well as all the rear suspension pieces to make way for the Maximum Motorsports lower control arms and new Ford Uppers.

Name:  2018-11-18 16.54.56.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  144.8 KB

Name:  2018-11-18 16.55.01.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  132.2 KB
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Before all the overhauled 8.8 and new control arms are installed. The Torque Boxes both upper and lower are being reinforced with this kit.

Name:  2018-11-18 17.44.26.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  97.4 KB

The pieces have all been test fit and holes drilled. Putting a quick coat of Eastwood Chassis black on the parts before install to prevent any future rust issues.

The Koni Struts and shocks both will get a new coat of paint to clean them up and make them look brand new too! Hopefully have some pictures of that in the next few days if the weather cooperates for me.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Great progress. Will have to make decisions and get stuff ordered on isolators and brake booster and master cyl among a few other things as this baby goes back together.

Amazing how sometimes overspray gets absolutely everywhere. Notice the medium canyon red paint thats on the inner fenderwells in a few shots..... crazy. That is TWO paint jobs ago!

I messaged privately with Trey but I'll post the discussion up here too. I'm debating keeping the fender wells traditional 1985 Mustang where there is plastic is that dull black and the rest is body color except like the struts and springs, etc.

It could be updated slightly by having Trey rattle can the metal areas inside the wheel wells in some satin or flat black. Make it more or less disappear. I did that on my 1986 when I was redoing the front suspension that I had just as far apart as Trey has the 85..... but the 86 is black so its not like there was much open to consideration on that one. I just shot everything (springs and all in that case) in the same nice paint after I redid the control arms.

either way the 85 of course needs a quick splash of bright orange on the Koni gear and bright red on the springs and K brace, etc.

Another thing we were kicking around is what to do on the underside of the car. Its not smart to under or over restore a car. In the pictures it looks like it could get hit with some degreaser and left alone or the under side of the car could get some rattle cans. In the end the car is in such nice condition under there that I'm not certain how much it matters, but I know Trey will STRONGLY encourage me to head in the direction that's right for the car.

Really looking forward to seeing this thing with the Saleen body kit and wheels -- that's for sure. Then we'll know for certain if it needs the stripe kit .... although I'm already sure that it does.

As a reminder to everyone...... I'm building this car with its vintage 80's RaceCraft suspension intact then improved by the addition of some more modern stuff like caster/camber plates, better brakes, MM lower control arms, panhard bar, etc.

For one thing I really appreciate the old school suspension that's under this car. It was EXTREMELY expensive back when it was new -- nearly 1/2 the price of the car!

Another reason I'm NOT going to coil-over suspension is primarily that I've had a strut tower break on me after hitting just a moderate bump with my 1986GT while going down the highway. The car this happened on was 9 years old when it happened and didn't have a spec of rust. It had normal springs and struts. When it let go it was all I could do to avoid getting taken out by oncoming semi trucks. Nebraska roads are WAY too rough to run coil-overs on the street.

the life you save by NOT running coil overs on the street could be your own.... it could also be mine or someone in my family! Just don't do it-- not worth the risk

Another thing I specifically chose NOT to do is related to the Kmember. It is staying exactly how it left Ford in 1985. The lower K brace is getting cleaned up and put back on.

There are very few Kmembers that any of use should trust our lives or anyone else's with when out on public roads day in and day out. So few actually support using foxbody spindles and stock foxbody steering rack location or leave the front wheels centered in the fron wheelwell openings too.

I don't really have an end goal in mind for this car, other than to be able to drive it and enjoy it. It might see some track duty, but then again it also might not. Once I get my 1986GT rebuilt the 85 will ride off into the sunset with a new owner. I have never planned on keeping this particular car, just to build it right and enjoy it for a while. Hopefully the build cost will equal the sale price plus the enjoyment received at the time as this one is definitely in the hole a long ways right now.

It will take years and years to complete my 1986GT. The best I can hope for is to somehow manage to start to get it blown apart this coming summer. Its one of those cars that had better be loved because otherwise it would head straight to the crusher long ago due to rust.

[QUOTE=wraithracing;1895696]Before all the overhauled 8.8 and new control arms are installed. The Torque Boxes both upper and lower are being reinforced with this kit.

[ATTACH]125087[/ATTACHp

i just put this kit on my car because the lower torque boxes were cracking and spot welds were separating. I drove the car 75 easy miles. I then went to change out the lower control arms with some MM stuff and when I removed the lca bolt it was nearly sheared off. The inner hole on the driver side had ovaled out. I'm sure this would have been a bad situation if I took it on the track. Maybe the other hole should be reinforced also. I've since cut the torque boxes completely out. They were just too damaged to feel comfortable driving it.
    "40 year old beercan on wheels with too much motor" erratic50

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer Down View Post
    i just put this kit on my car because the lower torque boxes were cracking and spot welds were separating. I drove the car 75 easy miles. I then went to change out the lower control arms with some MM stuff and when I removed the lca bolt it was nearly sheared off. The inner hole on the driver side had ovaled out. I'm sure this would have been a bad situation if I took it on the track. Maybe the other hole should be reinforced also. I've since cut the torque boxes completely out. They were just too damaged to feel comfortable driving it.
    I am installing the kit mentioned because James wanted it and provided the parts with the build. I see no real issues with the setup. Although I have to admit that I have never installed this kit or one like it in any of my Foxes. I personally have never felt the need. I will clarify that I also don't drag race my cars as I am more of a Road Race/Cornering kind of guy over drag racing.

So with all that said, this type of kit may be helpful or needed if you plan on running tons of power and some sticky tires. I know James plans on running TONS of Power and I am sure He might throw on a pair of slicks at some point too.

In your specific case, it sounds to me like you already had major issues with the Torque boxes before the install. I can see how this kit can help reinforce good torque boxes, but there's just not enough there to fix a set of Bad Torque Boxes. I personally have never seen a set of Torque Boxes on a Fox torn up, but again I also don't drag race or buy old drag cars either. I also don't run Poly Bushings in stock control arms nor the regular boxed aftermarket arms. I only run Maximum Motorsports rear lower control arms and stock Ford uppers with rubber bushings. Otherwise I run a Torque Arm setup from MM with no upper arms. In my experience that makes such a HUGE Improvement over the stock Quadra Bind and also prevents damage to the Torque Boxes that at least in my opinion are caused by Poly Bushing control arms that so many vendors are willing to sell.

Just a FYI that this build will get the Maximum Motorsports rear lower control arms and stock Ford rubber bushing uppers.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

I agree. Hit the underside with a pressure washer and see what it looks like. As for the inner fenders in the front, heres my .02. I would clean up or replace the inner fenders and put them back in as black. If youre not putting them in I think a good heavy coat of truck bed liner to protect inner fenders and underside of fenders from rocks flying up and making ugly dimples in fresh paint.
    You should clean up those rusty sub frame connectors and paint them red to match the springs and K member brace. Tell everyone that its part of the Racecraft suspension package. Lol
    Current Mustangs
    1966 6 cylinder coupe
    1984 SVO 9W
    1985 Saleen #132

Page 19 of 37 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast