Close

Default Engine gasket kit question

Was going to order a fel-pro engine gasket kit for my 91 302 HO 5.0l but because I'm taking the efi off and going carb do I still buy the kit for the 91 or do i go with a earlier 302 kit? I'm shopping on summit so if someone could post a link to what I need to order it be appreciated.
    Last edited by Sask84gt; 09-12-2018 at 10:21 PM.

You only need an intake gasket and carb gasket. Assuming stock heads, buy it from your local parts store.
    82 ford fairmont futura
    quicktime turbosystems 70mm turbo
    10.67@128.38

Quote Originally Posted by slomont View Post
    You only need an intake gasket and carb gasket. Assuming stock heads, buy it from your local parts store.
    Sorry should of explained better. Bought this motor from a guy and want to have a full set of gaskets for it just in case some need replacing. I just wanted to have the right intake and carb gasket in the kit. worried if i order the 91 kit it will have gaskets for the efi which i dont need.
    Last edited by Sask84gt; 09-13-2018 at 06:21 AM.

I would order a gasket kit for a 1985 and earlier. What are you going to do about the fuel pump?
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

I ordered Felpro KS2326. It has everything you'll need for the block including a mechanical fuel pump gasket. I can't recall if it has a carb gasket or not. I used a spacer on my build that came with the mounting gaskets. Local parts stores should have carb gaskets in stock. You'll end up with extras like with most kits. It's still going to have efi intake gaskets and multiple water pump gaskets, etc. etc. I recommend buying a separate one piece oil pan gasket though. So much easier to work with. I like mine which is also felpro.

EDIT: Here's a link to it
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fel-ks2326
    Last edited by chevelle21; 09-13-2018 at 09:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bwguardian View Post
    I would order a gasket kit for a 1985 and earlier. What are you going to do about the fuel pump?
    I'm going to use the one from my 84.5 motor as long as it's still good. If not I will get a new one. Thanks for the reply

Quote Originally Posted by chevelle21 View Post
    I ordered Felpro KS2326. It has everything you'll need for the block including a mechanical fuel pump gasket. I can't recall if it has a carb gasket or not. I used a spacer on my build that came with the mounting gaskets. Local parts stores should have carb gaskets in stock. You'll end up with extras like with most kits. It's still going to have efi intake gaskets and multiple water pump gaskets, etc. etc. I recommend buying a separate one piece oil pan gasket though. So much easier to work with. I like mine which is also felpro.

EDIT: Here's a link to it
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fel-ks2326
    Thanks chevelle!

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sask84gt View Post
    I'm going to use the one from my 84.5 motor as long as it's still good. If not I will get a new one. Thanks for the reply
    I think what he means is since the engine is a '91 it isn't set up to accept a mechanical fuel pump. You can convert it over to run a mechanical pump. You will probably need a new timing cover (taken from your 84.5?) to mount the pump and the eccentric on the front of the cam to run the pump.
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

Quote Originally Posted by KevinVarnes View Post
    I think what he means is since the engine is a '91 it isn't set up to accept a mechanical fuel pump. You can convert it over to run a mechanical pump. You will probably need a new timing cover (taken from your 84.5?) to mount the pump and the eccentric on the front of the cam to run the pump.
    Yes, right. Sorry, new to this stuff. I think that is what I had planned.

Speaking of 2 piece eccentric. I'm trying to find one on rockauto and not having any luck. Tried searching and its bringing up nothing.

Found this on summit. Is this what I need for the eccentric?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-235

Found this on summit. Is this what I need for the eccentric?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-235
    Yes, same one I used BUT you have to make sure the timing chain set you have calls for a TWO piece eccentric like that one. I used a comp cams double roller set that called for the two piece. I'm not sure of your budget but if you're going to be in there you may as well get a new timing set.

Yes, same one I used BUT you have to make sure the timing chain set you have calls for a TWO piece eccentric like that one. I used a comp cams double roller set that called for the two piece. I'm not sure of your budget but if you're going to be in there you may as well get a new timing set.
    Ok, ya not sure. I was originally planning on using as much as I could from my 84 302. Did the timing chain on those call for 2 or 1?Also was this the timing chain set you got? Thanks for the help!

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-2138
    Last edited by Sask84gt; 09-13-2018 at 05:30 PM.

Ok, ya not sure. I was originally planning on using as much as I could from my 84 302. Did the timing chain on those call for 2 or 1?Also was this the timing chain set you got? Thanks for the help!

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-2138
    Same timing set I used. I would not be able to tell you if factory was one piece or not. I'm not familiar with them. My 85 had a 2.3. I built my v8 from a bare 1995 block so I don't really know too much on what came stock in 84. I still strongly recommend you buy the new one. I know sometimes you have to skimp out on some things due to budget. But that's something I wouldn't cheap out on.

Same timing set I used. I would not be able to tell you if factory was one piece or not. I'm not familiar with them. My 85 had a 2.3. I built my v8 from a bare 1995 block so I don't really know too much on what came stock in 84. I still strongly recommend you buy the new one. I know sometimes you have to skimp out on some things due to budget. But that's something I wouldn't cheap out on.
    Ya I hear ya, 50 bucks is not to bad though so I will go new. Thanks again

Keep thr original ford (mechanical fuel pump)if you can. As aftermarket will fail.( have 3 that failed 429, and 2 302 engines)
    Also keep duraspark. MSD(My spark dissappeared) will leave ya on the end of a tow rope as well.
    All fine parts if you drive a 20 mile radius and drive 50 miles a year and replace every 3 years.
    Stay less than 600cfm carb for a stock 302. 500cfm 4v works great lots of velocity on the low end unlike overcarbed guys.
    The new avs2 carbs are second to none for driveability and mpg.

Quote Originally Posted by 78futura View Post
    Keep thr original ford (mechanical fuel pump)if you can. As aftermarket will fail.( have 3 that failed 429, and 2 302 engines)
    Also keep duraspark. MSD(My spark dissappeared) will leave ya on the end of a tow rope as well.
    All fine parts if you drive a 20 mile radius and drive 50 miles a year and replace every 3 years.
    Stay less than 600cfm carb for a stock 302. 500cfm 4v works great lots of velocity on the low end unlike overcarbed guys.
    The new avs2 carbs are second to none for driveability and mpg.
    Thanks for the tips. I'm going to reuse my 84 fuel pump as long as it's still working which I believe it is. Same with the duraspark. I will probably stay with original carb from my 84 to go along with my edelbrock performer rpm intake until we can get the money for a better carb.

Thanks for the tips. I'm going to reuse my 84 fuel pump as long as it's still working which I believe it is. Same with the duraspark. I will probably stay with original carb from my 84 to go along with my edelbrock performer rpm intake until we can get the money for a better carb.
    Keep the factory carb, period. It has annular primary boosters, and you won't find those in the parts stores carbs, but rather on high dollar race motors. Do a search and you will find some modifications...bigger squirter nozzel & pump diaphram, larger secondary jet plate, etc....you can do to it. I still have the factory 4180c carb on my warmed over 302 and it responds like a fuel injection system.
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

Quote Originally Posted by bwguardian View Post
    Keep the factory carb, period. It has annular primary boosters, and you won't find those in the parts stores carbs, but rather on high dollar race motors. Do a search and you will find some modifications...bigger squirter nozzel & pump diaphram, larger secondary jet plate, etc....you can do to it. I still have the factory 4180c carb on my warmed over 302 and it responds like a fuel injection system.
    I thought the stock holly carbs on the early foxes were limited in what could be modded on them?

Limited is putting it politely. Not impossible, but not straightforward easy either to bring a 4180 back into line of the predictable simplicity and tuning of early regular Holley carburetors.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...-Holley-4180-s
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/