Close

Page 30 of 38 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast

Well Brock.....come on.....

Quote Originally Posted by homer302 View Post
    As long as the next picture is not one with the hood up on the side of the road and a hand written FOR SALE sign written on a McDonalds bag taped to the back window.
    now that is hilarious!

I'm glad to report that there were no paper sack for sale signs needed.......yet.

She made it down here a ok, and it was cool to meet a few of our forum brothers. Jim, Chris, Steve were great to meet finally, and it was good to see Dan G. again. These guys have some nice rides and there are quite a few 4 eyes here.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

Congrats on the good road trip. I wish I were there enjoying the cars and company. Instead I am here in TX wondering about all the rain!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I'm gonna "next year" myself right to death if I'm not careful... need to do stuff while I can.

Final mileage tally for the MCA K.C. weekend..........

Name:  0827171933.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  113.2 KB

That's right! 643 trouble free miles. She ran well all weekend even though I think it could stand just a wee bit more tuning.
    Brock

Congrats Brock! That's awesome! Glad it was a good trip for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    --86 GT vert.306,Powerdyne blown 7 psi, E303, ported E7s,MAF conv, BBK shorties n OR H, 3" Mac Pro Dumps, WC T5, 5 lug'd, 17" Bullitts, 3" cowlhood, SN95 Gt front brakes, 4.11s.
    --Bill

Very nice Brock, I'm happy for you. Glad it went well buddy!

Haven't done much to it over the past month or so besides drive it. I have finally broke the 2000 mile mark this year and here next week I intend on doubling it as I'm headed out to Foxtoberfest in N.C.. I fully intend on driving it so I have been going back through it to ensure everything it tight, serviced up and ready to rock.

One thing I must do this winter is figure out the exhaust. IMHO, it fits like crap and hangs way too low and should be tucked up in the body more. This has become really apparent now that it is lowered. Speedbumps are hard on things. I have had to replace a few of the rubber isolators already, which were new this spring, as they have broke already from the exhaust dragging.

I'm not sure if the X-pipe is angled wrong or if the motor is sitting a bit wonky but the X-pipe definitely runs downhill towards the back. I wasn't able to use the transmission hanger on the exhaust so I'm wondering if the bends up top are off. Either way, that will be on the priority list.
    Brock

Successfully made it to and from Foxtoberfest and didn't get left on the side of the road.....not even once.

Total trip mileage......
    2,583 miles!

This show was well worth the time, travel and expense as I was able to meet members here on the forum, see 550-600 Foxes in the same place, and enjoy a drive through some beautiful country. I'm glad I made the trip and damn sure will again next year, hopefully with some more cars so I don't have to do it alone again.

Surrounded by 4-eyes! It's a dream come true! Even if I was the only 8Q Mustang at the show.

Photo op with the FEP 83-84 crew....Joe, Rob and I

The FEP Supporting Cast!

Cruising through the countryside with Joe and Esco as the co pilot, John and John. It was nice to cruise with other 4 eye guys....even if the Renaissance Fair traffic turned the route into a stop and go.

Had a good time talking cars and eating food at the meeting place! Cars from all over filled the driveway. Nebraska, Connecticut, Virginia and Pennsylvania.
    Last edited by 84StangSVT; 10-17-2017 at 12:14 PM.
    Brock

The drive home was its own adventure. I made the trip in one sitting this time so it was a 20 hour ride. Did I mention that this was in a car with no radio? I promise you I know every little squeak, creak, rattle, pop and tone in this car. I will never do that again....I left my sanity somewhere on the way to the show and even the voices in my head bailed on me somewhere on the way back through the Smokies.

For all Batman fans....I'm leaking the secret!

First part of the mountain drive was beautiful. Nice weather, roads and scenery.

Second part.....not so good. I now fully understand the meaning of a gully washer! 15 mph, wipers not keeping up and heading downhill on steep grades with stock brakes in these conditions are hair raising to say the least. This pic is right before the heavy downpour.....I wasn't about to attempt another pic while trying not to die.

The rest of the trip home consisted of stop and go on the interstate for no apparent reason, a wrong way driver on a divided 4 lane highway, and the infamous Missouri and Iowa deer that have no regards for your well being or property. I luckily missed the 4 that darted, trying to take me out like a bad game of Frogger.
    Brock

Got home about 5 am and couldn't be happier to see my family and bed. I was ready!

Pulled the car into the garage and noticed a couple things. First when I started it, a quick puff of bluish smoke came from the tailpipe, which it has never done before and an odd puddle of fluid in the driveway where the car was parked.

Looked underneath it in the garage and saw this.

Logically due to the position of the fluid, I thought tail seal on the tranny, but it doesn't look or smell like tranny fluid. I changed it before I left so I would imagine it would still be reddish. It looked more like oil, and upon further inspection, everything from about the rear of the oil pan is soaked. Looking at the fluid, it is heavy in metallic flake so I'm guessing what ever it is is probably terminal. I guess there is a chance the metal is from something else and I have 2 or more issues.

Looks like it is time to pull the motor and tranny and get to work on rebuilds/replacements depending what is found after closer inspections.

Even with this developement, I'm glad I went and I have no regrets. The car made it there and back, ran good and never gave me the finger. She took care of me, so I'm going to do the same for her. She will be back next year being even better than before.
    Brock

I have a full sn exhaust under mine. Seems to fit fine. Easier to find and cheaper. There's a stick one on d.m. cl right now $75 I think. I actually laughed out loud when your voices bailed on your trip.i found the rubber isolates at o reily for like 2bucks each. If I dig I may have the trans exhaust mount somewhere if you need one

Quote Originally Posted by 2nd chance cobra View Post
    I have a full sn exhaust under mine. Seems to fit fine. Easier to find and cheaper. There's a stick one on d.m. cl right now $75 I think. I actually laughed out loud when your voices bailed on your trip.i found the rubber isolates at o reily for like 2bucks each. If I dig I may have the trans exhaust mount somewhere if you need one
    I might try that route this winter. I honestly believe it's just BBK's finest work of art causing the issue. I have plenty isolators/hangers and I have a brand new trans exhaust hanger I bought a couple years ago. When I installed it so the pipe would hang in it, the angles were way off to mate the x/header flanges together. Something is bent or bent wrong. The motor mounts and trans mount are new, so I don't think that is the issue. When I have the motor and tranny out for repair, it will be a good time to look at this and decide which way to go.

Btw......the radio in the truck scared me this morning. I wasn't expecting something to sing to me. Whomever drove it last must be deaf also.
    Brock

Jeez Brock! I'm so happy to hear you made the long trip safely (sans sanity of course).

But that oil! Crap brother.

Well, since the drivetrain will be out, you might as well.......

I see some serious drivetrain upgrades in the cars future!

--86 GT vert.306,Powerdyne blown 7 psi, E303, ported E7s,MAF conv, BBK shorties n OR H, 3" Mac Pro Dumps, WC T5, 5 lug'd, 17" Bullitts, 3" cowlhood, SN95 Gt front brakes, 4.11s.
    --Bill

Quote Originally Posted by magnum517 View Post
    I see some serious drivetrain upgrades in the cars future!
    I don't know about serious upgrades, but there might be something coming. There is a fully fresh rebuilt motor out of an 89 for sale here that I might be snagging for less than $600. It hasn't even been fired. Going to look at it this afternoon.

If that doesn't pan out, then possibly say hello to a flat tappet 306!
    Last edited by 84StangSVT; 10-18-2017 at 12:55 PM.
    Brock

Quote Originally Posted by 84StangSVT View Post
    I don't know about serious upgrades, but there might be something coming. There is a fully fresh rebuilt motor out of an 89 for sale here that I might be snagging for less than $600. It hasn't even been fired. Going to look at it this afternoon.

If that doesn't pan out, then possibly say hello to a flat tappet 306!
    Sound like a good motor to start with!! Hope it works out for ya. Ironically my motor is an 89 roller that was rebuilt when I bought it and only paid 600 for mine.

--Bill

FEP Supporter

Sounds like it was a great trip Brock! Crappy about the puff of blue and the little leak. I may not be the end of the world to not rush into the pull and rebuild. My SVO puffs when it starts because of the valve seals. Other than that it runs clean and strong. I just haven't had the time to do them so not a biggie. The drip may not be that big. May be exaggerated because of the highway speeds and the way it dripped?

Your 8Q sure sounds like she put out for you over the long weekend!

Maybe one day, I'll make it down
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    I think this is my favorite car on the site right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUECRAPI
    This is the best thread on the internet.
    Darran
    1982-1C (Black) GT T-Top:http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...he-Road-Thread
    1986-9L (Oxford White) SVO: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-did-1986-SVO
    1979 (85:Tangerine) Coupe (my son's): http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...gerine-Machine
    1979 (3F:Light Medium Blue) Coupe (one day to be my other son's!) http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...um-Blue-Bomber!

FEP Supporter

Double post Ceiling cat should have warned me.

Quote Originally Posted by magnum517 View Post
    Sound like a good motor to start with!! Hope it works out for ya. Ironically my motor is an 89 roller that was rebuilt when I bought it and only paid 600 for mine.
    Well.....I pulled the trigger on the "new" motor. Went and looked at it yesterday and the guy was upfront and seemed to be a stand up guy. From what I could see, it appears to be fully rebuilt. He said the crank has been turned, new rings, new cam, head work done, new oil pump, water pump, timing chain, seals/gaskets, and oil pan. Everything he said appeared, visually, to be true.

After talking with him about Mustangs and cars for awhile, he asked me to throw him an offer. He had it listed at $700 so I simply asked him what his lowest # would be. He told me that since I seemed like a good guy and he saw the car it was going in, he would take $400 out the door with an Explorer upper and lower intake and engine stand.

How could I resist? Probably wouldn't hurt to open it up and verify things are kosher in it and make sure it is clean. Either way, I feel like this could be an awesome score.
    Brock

Awesome congrats!!!!!

Great to meet you Brock....looking forward to next year already! I'll be there with my '82 so I hope to take part in the FEP cruise and photo ops.

So glad to see your issue didn't leave you stranded on the highway. Me personally, I would be more inclined to re-build and upgrade the motor you have...after all it did not give you the finger during 2,500+ miles round trip I'd be a bit leery of any used, modified motor from a stranger...unless you tare into it and really like/trust what you see. Either way, it will make for a fun winter project so enjoy!
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

Quote Originally Posted by sowaxeman View Post
    Great to meet you Brock....looking forward to next year already! I'll be there with my '82 so I hope to take part in the FEP cruise and photo ops.

So glad to see your issue didn't leave you stranded on the highway. Me personally, I would be more inclined to re-build and upgrade the motor you have...after all it did not give you the finger during 2,500+ miles round trip I'd be a bit leery of any used, modified motor from a stranger...unless you tare into it and really like/trust what you see. Either way, it will make for a fun winter project so enjoy!
    Great to meet you also Jason and hope you do bring the 82 next year. It would be awesome to get more of the FEP crew in the photo and cruise.

To be perfectly honest, I'm almost inclined to agree with you on the motor situation. I'm for sure going to tear into it and see what kind of "rebuild" went on with it. If everything looks good, then I'm bound to run it simply because I can't beat the $300 (sold the explorer upper and lower intake) I ended up paying for it.

Now with that being said, I'm really going to dig into the motor that's in the car. I think if it is salvageable, I may end up "piece by piecing" it back together as a performance build as I get time and money. I know it seems kinda goofy to worry about it since I'm "upgrading" to a roller as opposed to a flat tappet, but deep down I would like to keep the #'s matching motor with the car. It has been with her for 250,000 miles and has not given me any issue other than a leak...which is not the motors fault.
    Brock

Well, the "new" motor made it home. After some attempted creativity on how in the hell to get this thing out of the back of the truck, I hung my head in defeat and walked to the neighbors house, whom I hadn't officially met yet, a few doors down and asked if I could borrow his cherry picker. What a way to introduce yourself.

I know I tend to give the import guys some crap, most is well deserved, but Tim is a really cool guy. He has a drag Honda that he has built and 1/4's regularly and while not my cup of tea, he isn't your stereotypical Honda owner. We talked a bit about his car, my car, the neighbors El Camino and his buddy Josh's 91 turbo 5.0 notch. All in all, he is a car guy.

Anyhoo. He loaned me his picker and I pulled it off the truck with ease. I've really got to get one soon! Due to the way the engine stand and picker legs were built, there was no way to get the motor on the stand at this time so I guess it will have to sit on the spare 31 for my truck. That's gonna make mama happy.

Covered it up for the time being and here soon I will have it on the stand so I can do a little investigating.
    Brock

Default My 1984 GT Refurbish/Upgrade Thread

Congrats on picking up a fresh motor for such a great price!! That is a good drop in and go motor and then you can build the original motor the way you want. Then you can always sell the roller motor down the road , probably for what you paid for it. That’s a win-win in my book. As for picking it up to get it on the engine stand, use the front and opposite rear corner I take bolt holes and a chain to pick it up on an angle or sideways and get it on the stand top piece ( take the stand apart) then position the base on an angle and bolt it all back together.

--Bill

Page 30 of 38 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast