Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 85 GT 7.5 rear end rebuild

Does anyone know where to order the clutch pack rebuild kit for the 7.5 traction lok? I'm trying to get both wheels spinning again, right now I have only the right rear. I know a bunch of folk will say upgrade to 8.8, but I'm not building this to race or perform, mainly to weekend cruise and car shows.

Thanks

Brant

Call a ford dealer to be sure F5ZZ-4947-BA should be the right part number.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowetlx View Post
    Call a ford dealer to be sure F5ZZ-4947-BA should be the right part number.
    I am looking to do the same get the trak lock working again and changing to 3.73 gears. There no need for a 8.8 rear motor is stock.

I just called Ford Dealer and they said that was right, I appreciate the info. Now is this a job pretty much anyone can do or should I hunt down a good mechanic? I called a transmission guy and he said he didn't do them.

There's a good video on youtube...eric the car guy. He's rebuilding an 8.8, but the basic set-up should be the same. There are some other videos online I've seen as well, that basically just cover the clutch pack rebuild. I'm just learning, myself. Collecting parts to do a rear-end build for an 8.8. I'm not sure which car it will end up in, but I'll use it somewhere lol

Provided you do not run into any broken bolts or damaged parts. Then replacing the clutch pack is pretty easy and can be done with the diff still installed in the housing. Most of the procedures and videos you will find for an 8.8 will be relevant to the 7.5 as far as disassembly. Be sure to soak the new fiber discs in friction modifier for a few days prior to the install. Find the black ford Motorsport stuff not the yellow stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by 82g View Post
    I am looking to do the same get the trak lock working again and changing to 3.73 gears. There no need for a 8.8 rear motor is stock.
    I can see the OP repairing his diff for cruising on weekends. But if your looking for a performance gear ratio I would not advise a gear swap on a 7.5.

ok thanks, I will search for some videos

Quote Originally Posted by RazorbackGT View Post
    ok thanks, I will search for some videos
    it is a stock motor there is no way u will brake a 7.5 witha stock motor. Even with gear upgrade if u using it for the street.

it is a stock motor there is no way u will brake a 7.5 witha stock motor. Even with gear upgrade if u using it for the street.
    There is one way. lol I have done it with 3.45 gears (traction lok) and it wasn't pretty. Reverse to 1st (preferably with a person or two in the back seat) while trying to lay rubber and you might hear a loud bang & then engine revving. My experience was with a 2.3 turbo & T-5 but I doubt that was much of a factor. Result=shredded differential gears. If that doesn't work, try doing a donut when popping the clutch between reverse & 1st to put a little more torque on the rear end instead of a straight line burnout. Oh the stupid things we do when we're young.

Last edited by LT-84GTturbo; 07-13-2017 at 05:16 PM.
    Larry

1984 Mustang GT Turbo

Bull****! Did it!
    1984.5 G.T.350 had since 16y/o
    95 Cobra, Crystal White

I hate digging up an old thread... but can someone point me in the right direction of a spec sheet for rebuilding a traclok differential?

Quote Originally Posted by 83gt351w View Post
    Mint. Thanks for that!

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

With less than 50K miles the 7.5 in my 85 was leaking absolutely everywhere. They are not a strong piece and really do need to be upgraded.

I need to expand my search for an 8.8

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Considering you are just going cruising, looking for a used drum to drum 8.8 is still sensible. It will abslutely bolt in and you can keep the brakes and axles from the 7.5 as spars because they are the same as the 8.8. All you need to do is swap your brake lines over to the 8.8. I just did this in my 86 coupe which got guts from an 88 GT.

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedblind View Post
    Considering you are just going cruising, looking for a used drum to drum 8.8 is still sensible. It will abslutely bolt in and you can keep the brakes and axles from the 7.5 as spars because they are the same as the 8.8. All you need to do is swap your brake lines over to the 8.8. I just did this in my 86 coupe which got guts from an 88 GT.
    That's the plan now. It's hard to find one these days. Everything is buried under 2ft of snow!

You could get a used 94-98 mustang diff. They are an 8.8 housing with disc brakes. Track width is wider and they are 5 lug. But the axles come out and all the stuff from the 7.5 directly swaps over to the 8.8 for 4 lug, drum brakes, etc

Then you have SN95 parts for the start of a disc conversion down the road

more ratio options like 3.27 and 3.55 factory too

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    You could get a used 94-98 mustang diff. They are an 8.8 housing with disc brakes. Track width is wider and they are 5 lug. But the axles come out and all the stuff from the 7.5 directly swaps over to the 8.8 for 4 lug, drum brakes, etc

Then you have SN95 parts for the start of a disc conversion down the road

more ratio options like 3.27 and 3.55 factory too
    This is an often overlooked option for an 8.8 swap. I believe the housing are the exact width as a fox, but the axles are longer on the SN.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

For 94-98 Mustang the housing is the same width as the foxbody Mustang

Several years of thunderbird are very similar also

Swap axles and brakes and brackets and you’re in business

Yep FWIW I swapped a 94 cobra 8.8 (5 lug) into my son's 80 cobra (4 lug). Swapped axles and drum brakes and moved the brake hose mount etc.

One thing I would add is that I found the 8.8 pinion flange sits about 1/2" closer to the tranny when its all mounted up which could possibly make your driveshaft a bit long depending.

In my case we were upgrading to a T5 from a C4 auto and that made the driveshaft another inch too long so it had to be shortened (1.5" total)

This is valuable information, thanks in advance.

Regarding driveshaft issues... I can see how it would be a good idea to fit it while the car if on its wheels! Depth on the output shaft will be at a minimum when the suspension is unloaded. If the shaft is too long, you could run into a bind with the driveshaft bottomed on the output shaft when it "lengthens" as it staightens out when the suspension takes the weight of the car.

Yeah I think the recommendation is about 1" space for yoke to travel into transmission before interference with the end of the seal. This when car is sitting on its normal suspension etc.

There also seems to be a few different styles of seal options with different dirt shields for these cars which could be a factor too.

Also remember that your speedo gear will probably need to change.

No regrets on the swap however once all the little things are done. Having the 8.8 posi is a big improvement over the 7.5 IMO !!

My speedo is set up for 3.73 as that's what is in my 7.5... so I'll likely keep that ratio. Good advice though.

1" of play seems adequate. Thanks for validating my line of thinking!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast