Close

Default White 86 t-top Capri $11k starting bid

Seems a little high for a salvage title. It's a sweet package but I think the seller is dreaming.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/171550223627?nav=SEARCH
    Current Ride:
    2007 silver Ridgeline RTL

Past Rides:
    1985 black 2.3 auto Capri
    1989 black GT
    2000 laser red 3.8 5-speed Mustang

Future Ride:
    85/86 GT or Fox Notch or Any Cobra

Seems a little high no matter what, though it does look nice.
    Robert

1986 ascMcLaren SC 5.0 -red
    1985 Capri GS (w/ 5.0) - red
    1985 Capri 5.0L - black
    1984 ascMcLaren SC 5.0 - white
    1984 Capri GS (w/ 5.0) - white
    1983 Capri RS Crimson Cat - red
    1982 Capri RS Black Magic - white
    1982 Cougar wagon
    1982 Mustang GT - red

Mike Croke

It does look like a nice car but I also agree it's not $11K. I think his description needs more details.

He has the owned the $20 speedo cable but doesn't explain why it wasn't installed for the past 20K miles? However, he's had plenty of time to polish and wax the car.

The salvage title is a deal breaker in many states. In some places, it's my understanding that salvage title can be converted back to a regular title?

He claims 290 rwhp but does not list the parts on the engine. And why the rebuild at 50K miles? A decent H/C/I on the original bottom end would have achieved the same results.

The wheels are replicas not OEM. When asking premium price for the car, the buyers will expect the premium parts.

If that car was perfect with fewer stories, I could see someone paying his asking price.

I'd buy it just to be more like Jeff. I would send him pictures of the car with dust on it.

Nice capri! But the salvage title is gonna murder his asking price.

Too bad because it's a beautiful Capri, but nobody is spending 11K on a salvaged title car. The speedo cable thing sends up red flags on the validity of the miles. It's frustrating when a seller tells you how easy a job is, but yet they've never gotten it done. Anyway, the title issue will hold this car back, but I think the seller overpriced it (based on the market) regardless.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Neither here nor there

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Croke View Post

I'd buy it just to be more like Jeff. I would send him pictures of the car with dust on it.

LOL dink

As for the salvage title, RI is a non-title state, so I am not sure what would happen with my car if I sold it to a titled state. I didn't have to do anything special to put it back on the road. Just fix it. I am not sure it was even branded??? Hagerty paid out and I bought the car back at salvage bid price.

Funny a salvage title would normally scare me, but in the case with my own car I saw it rebuilt and done right.
    A normal car guy would never know I had the rear quarter on mine demolished and repaired if I didn't tell them.
    But not all body shops are created equal or take the same time and pride in their repairs.

Not that I could hide it anyway, most people know my car by now it seems anyway lol

Mike Croke

The salvage title concept needs updating by the assorted MVDs/DMVs. It times past, salvage often meant the car was FUBAR and essentially unsafe. It would be nice if there could be a classification to the salvage title that indicated "unsafe" compared to "repairs exceeded value". This would help potential buyers better discern between a vehicle that was drowned by Katrina as opposed to a $1000 used car with a dented fender. At present, both have the same resulting title.

Alternatively, the insurance companies could have a different way of ending the policy on the car. In the instances of maximum allowable payout, they wouldn't necessarily have to convert to salvage title.

My GT has a salvage title because of a bumper cover and bar and one tailpipe. No unibody damage. Go figure.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

11k for a fox better have a mint interior, IMHO
    2017 Lincoln MKZ AWD
    2003 Town Car
    2017 GTI
    Currently Foxless

FEP Member

I never worried about salvage titles on cars this old. Many old cars got that designation long ago and were fixed and are just fine. You just have to look the car over that much more to make sure everything lines up and works. Cars get totaled and fixed all the the time and a lot of times the repairs are made and the car is as good as new.

I would be fine with a salvage title if they had pics like capriman.
    Current Ride:
    2007 silver Ridgeline RTL

Past Rides:
    1985 black 2.3 auto Capri
    1989 black GT
    2000 laser red 3.8 5-speed Mustang

Future Ride:
    85/86 GT or Fox Notch or Any Cobra

Nice car but not 11k worth. In my opinion unless it was a true low mileage original or a parts stuffed resto-mod only would it be worth around that. Granted I dont know the whole story butif this ones worth that I should be able to get 15k for mine! not!
    - Ed

'85 Capri RS - "1BADMERC" -'00 GT40P motor & heads, Edelbrock RPM/Holley 650, E303 cam, full length BBK ceramics,5spd/flowmaster 2-chambers/373's
    5 Lug conversion, cobra discs on all four corners, 1" drop

My cowl hood thread:

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=131334

Venomous Moderator Hissing Cobra's Avatar

The white wheels knock the price down $2K for me. LOL! I think Jeff could sell his Capri to someone in a "Title" state such as Massachusetts and all they would need is a bill of sale and a copy of his current registration in order to title it in Massachusetts. In other words, whoever bought it would need proof that Jeff was the last owner and that they had a copy of his paperwork proving it. At least that's the way that I understand it. I could be wrong though!
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    420 rwhp/380 rwt (New Motor)
    11.49 @ 121.86

306/T-5/4.30's (Old Motor)
    307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

Neither here nor there

Quote Originally Posted by Hissing Cobra View Post
    The white wheels knock the price down $2K for me. LOL! I think Jeff could sell his Capri to someone in a "Title" state such as Massachusetts and all they would need is a bill of sale and a copy of his current registration in order to title it in Massachusetts. In other words, whoever bought it would need proof that Jeff was the last owner and that they had a copy of his paperwork proving it. At least that's the way that I understand it. I could be wrong though!
    For me to sell it I need my cancelled Registration and a Bill Of Sale, those are the 2 items required. The question is if you were to buy it, how would the title come to you in MA after? Reconstructed Prior Collision or is it washed away, outside of a Carfax report showing the accident.

Venomous Moderator Hissing Cobra's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Capriman86 View Post
    For me to sell it I need my cancelled Registration and a Bill Of Sale, those are the 2 items required. The question is if you were to buy it, how would the title come to you in MA after? Reconstructed Prior Collision or is it washed away, outside of a Carfax report showing the accident.
    Ah, good question. I have no idea. i know that Massachusetts would have to issue the buyer a new title. Whether or not it would say "reconstructed" or whatever, I don't know.
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    420 rwhp/380 rwt (New Motor)
    11.49 @ 121.86

306/T-5/4.30's (Old Motor)
    307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38