Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wifes' Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by Ford Builder View Post
    Very cool Cobra, I think the old TRX wheels look killer.
    maybe someday someone will make some reasonable trx tires or I'll win the lottery! or as someone posted earlier....maybe the aftermarket would make a 15 or 16 inch version.

Default for anyone wondering why

we remove the TRXs from our cars...

GOOD GRIEF!! lol

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Coker-Michel...#ht_1633wt_906

$454 apiece!!!

Yeah, but the shipping is free (lol). Maybe they are so expensive because Ferrari uses them and they figure Ferrari folks dont mind spending $500 bucks per tire.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Quote Originally Posted by TopGear86 View Post
    Yeah, but the shipping is free (lol). Maybe they are so expensive because Ferrari uses them and they figure Ferrari folks dont mind spending $500 bucks per tire.
    thats what I figured but arent those skinny for Ferrari tires

Kudos to this site for helping me figure out an intermittant overheating problem on the Cobra. Frankly I need to vent Im so freaking annoyed. Beware anyone who has a early 80s mustang with the serpentine belt system because if you go to your local parts store for a water pump, you WILL get the wrong one. Dont believe me...try "Advanced", "Autozone", "Oreillys",.... they must all pull from the same database. They all only offer one type of pump whether rebuild or new...standard rotation. Sorry stupid me...I assumed the waterpumps for our cars, 80, 81, 82...etc were the same...NO they arent. You wont be offered and CC rotation pump unless you order one for an 86 and up model. The ONLY place that got it right (checked yesterday) was Summitracing. When I redid the front of our engine (cleanup only...wasnt intending to replace anything unless I found a problem. ) I noticed that the lower intake from the radiator was literally about to rot off after removing the hose. So i go to the store and get a new pump. Car seemed to run fine after reassembly. Fixed the AC a couple of months later and noticed car would run hot with AC on.....tried different thermostats....and hoses. Problem is intermittant...might run for a hundred miles with no problem or 10 miles and get hot. Hope to get a proper pump on this weekend. Somehow this problem should be addressed...there are probably quite a few cars suffering from this same screwup through no fault of their owners. Ok..rant over.

Went from this

To this

and now I gotta do it again! GRUMBLE

Drove in the Cherry Blossom Parade yesterday...lower half of the car paint is new including pinstripes. Very happy with how it turned out!

A few more shots.
    Last edited by 1980Cobra; 04-05-2013 at 12:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdog52 View Post
    Nice!
    thanx! the old thing is being a bit of a pill lately. Right after the parade i noticed a substantial leak from the front of the carburetor. Luckily being the original 2 barrel I was able to rebuild using a $20 kit and it seems to be doing well. I didnt change any of the settings and didnt replace some of the internals. Just the gaskets and the powervalve and the orange flexible check valve. hmmm and then i notice the valve cover gaskets are leaking....and the goop on the back of the ignition module is starting to flow...guess whats next?
    Last edited by 1980Cobra; 03-22-2013 at 08:36 AM.

Default ignition clean up

was originally just going to clean up the area and found.....this

Rebuilt carb,...not pretty but fully functional and without leaks

1980 Cobra 4.2 C4 am/fm cassette AC/PB/PS Dark Brown with Caramel interior.

all cleaned up and ready to go back in.

cleaned up and painted area

cleaned up washer bottle as well...funny place for an emissions sticker?

seems they left the engine hoist hooks

Been a while since I did anything significant on the old thing. (Been working on putting aircon back into the old 'chero)

Decided to help the underhood appearance by pulling out the disgusting original hood blanket and replacing with a repop.

should be shot for putting this off for so long. Only 30 bux from Mustangs Unlimited.

new one in place...used the 83 and up retainers...can get them brand new and figure the bigger heads support the blanket better. Cleaned, painted chips and waxed the underside of the hood while I had it apart.

Nice quality piece...fit was perfect.

your have two nice fords
    Current Mustang
    1982 mustang GT tubed with a big block ford
    1998 mustang GT
    Past Mustang 1980 notch
    1980 hatchback
    1983 notch
    1986 notch
    1988. notch
    1988 notch
    1989 hatchback

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123