Close

Default 1979 mustang cobra prod numbers!?

ok yes i am new here but have been reading some threads and thank god we have production numbers on these cars, but still some unanswered questions. well let me start from the top and some numbers i have. first off 369,936 OR 387,936 1979 mustangs were built out of that 114,156 OR 150,919 hatchbacks were made out of that 21,984(this number from 2 martini reports on this site) OR 29,242(this number from a mustang book) turbo mustangs were made out of that 5,970 turbo pace cars were made and finially 17,579 cobras were made out of that 7,000 turbo cobras were made?????. (got some of these numbers from some ford books i have)
    LOL O BOY RETHINKING ADDING THIS THREAD!!! well guess some of these numbers are right and some are wrong according to neald's post and the link he has. either ford fed up or people are just guessing production numbers. too many differnt numbers and no one really knows the right one's.
    Last edited by 79turbocobra; 06-01-2009 at 10:11 PM.

FEP Senior Member

Im not sure how accurate this is, but here they say 7000.
    http://clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/...production.htm
    Neal

nope that numbers wrong its 17,579 like in my orginal post. my thing is want to know how many turbos to v-8's were made.

You might want to read through this thread.
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=53858

Quote Originally Posted by 79turbocobra
    first off 369,936 1979 mustangs were built out of that 114,156 hatchbacks were made out of that 21,984 turbo mustangs were made out of that 5,970 turbo pace cars were made and finially 17,579 cobras were made.
    Where did you get those numbers from?

There were more than 114,156 hatchbacks produced.
    There were more than 21,984 produced with the 2.3T engine.

well the hatchback # from a book a while back and the turbo # from 2 martini reports on this site.

According to the Mustang Red Book, there were 120,535 base hatchbacks made (VIN code "03") and 36,384 Ghia hatchbacks made (VIN code "05"). That's a total of 156,919.

According to The Official Ford Mustang 5.0 Technical Reference and Performance Handbook, there were 108,756 base hatchbacks made and 31,097 Ghia hatchbacks made. That's a total of 139,853.

The Marti reports you're looking at and getting the 21,984 number from, that is probably only for the 03 base hatchbacks. The 2.3T/4-speed manual was optional in the 05 Ghia hatchbacks.

Now I know you're inquiring about turbo hatchbacks only, but the 2.3T/4-speed was also optional in the base notchback (VIN code "02") and the Ghia notchback (VIN code "04").

Ok this and the other posts on the subject have me wondering... The other thread talks about all 79 Cobras being two toned... Mine is black and it doesnt appear to be two shades of black as one poster suggested....

I am assuming my Cobra, 302, 4 speed is rare but how rare? Is the martini report worth it? Yesterday I thought it was, now I am wondering how correct their numbers are....
    1979 Mustang Cobra 2011 Coyote 5.0, 8.8 w/3.73, PA C4.
    2010 Taurus SHO Livernois tune, Eibach Pro-Kit, Magnaflow, Airaid.
    2007 Escape 3.0 V6

Quote Originally Posted by PaulFORD8
    Ok this and the other posts on the subject have me wondering... The other thread talks about all 79 Cobras being two toned... Mine is black and it doesnt appear to be two shades of black as one poster suggested....
    Is yours Black inside and out, with Green stripes and graphics? That would be known as the "Cobra Package Alternate". Supposedly that was the only Cobra Package in '79 that did not get the Lower Tu-Tone Paint Treatment.

If yours is not one of those then it will have the Lower Tu-Tone Paint Treatment codes....there will be "1C 1C" (Black, Tu-Tone) codes right after 'EXTERIOR PAINT COLORS' on the VC Label ("door tag") and "1C" (Black) and "TT" (Tu-Tone) codes on the Body/Buck Tag.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulFORD8
    I am assuming my Cobra, 302, 4 speed is rare but how rare? Is the martini report worth it? Yesterday I thought it was, now I am wondering how correct their numbers are....
    The Cobra total production figure discrepancy has been cleared up....

'79 Mustang w/ Cobra Package (w/ Lower Tu-Tone Paint Treatment) = 16,641
    '79 Mustang w/ Cobra Package Alternate (w/o Lower Tu-Tone Paint Treatment) = 938

Total '79 w/ Cobra Package = 17,579

I haven't seen a Marti report yet that shows how many '79 Mustangs came with the Cobra Package and with the 2.3T/manual, 5.0L/manual, or 5.0L/auto drivetrain.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

In that case I am pretty rare since I do have black inside and out with green graphics. 938? How many of these are 302 4 speeds... Perhaps it is worth it to pay for the Marti report.
    1979 Mustang Cobra 2011 Coyote 5.0, 8.8 w/3.73, PA C4.
    2010 Taurus SHO Livernois tune, Eibach Pro-Kit, Magnaflow, Airaid.
    2007 Escape 3.0 V6

FEP Super Member

My friend Darrel has a 79 cobra that he bought from a local dealers collection 10 years ago. Its black, not tu-tone, and it has green tweed plaid interior, but it has orange graphics...

would this be the "alternate" as well?

Did all alternates have green graphics?

It's definitely not tu-tone.

He is always asking me to help him figure out how many like his were made, I told him get a marti-report.
    Former Foxes:
    1983 Fairmont Futura 4dr
    1986 Mustang LX 2.3 4 speed
    1985 Mustang GT
    1985 GT - 357w, T5, 8.8 w/ 4.10's.
    Best ET 13.5639, Best Mph 102.39
    1988 LX 5.0 AOD notch, bone stock no options except A/C
    1980 Mercury Capri RS Turbo, 50k mile survivor.
    1987 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe....ratty but fun.
    1992 Mustang GT convertible 85k from original owner

There was never a "green" or "plaid" interior trim color in any Fox Mustang or Capri.

The Lower Tu-Tone Paint Treatment is hard to see if you have a Black exterior. The Tu-Tone is the same color black. Only difference between the two is the Tu-Tone was a "satin" finish and the rest of the exterior was your normal "shiny" basecoat. "Clearcoat" was not also available in '79, so expect 30-year-old basecoat paint to be faded and oxidized unless it was taken care of regularly.

Plus it's possible for a 30-year-old car to have been repainted at least once. A tu-tone paint job is pretty easy to get rid of in that case.

Codes on the VC Label and Body/Buck Tag tell the real story.

From page 14 of the Mustang section of the 1979 Ford Product Facts Book:

Mustang - Optional Equipment Summary

Regular Production Options

Cobra Package Alternate
    - available only with black exterior paint and interior trim, includes green exterior accents in place of standard red.

FEP Super Member

I just talked to the owner, my mistake the interior is not green, dont know why my mind wanted to remember it that way, but it does have a hatched design on the seats. I will get bucktag info as soon as I can.
    Former Foxes:
    1983 Fairmont Futura 4dr
    1986 Mustang LX 2.3 4 speed
    1985 Mustang GT
    1985 GT - 357w, T5, 8.8 w/ 4.10's.
    Best ET 13.5639, Best Mph 102.39
    1988 LX 5.0 AOD notch, bone stock no options except A/C
    1980 Mercury Capri RS Turbo, 50k mile survivor.
    1987 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe....ratty but fun.
    1992 Mustang GT convertible 85k from original owner

I probably missed it somewhere in the post, but can anyone tell me where the 938 production number came from for the number of 1979 cobra alternates? My recent marti report verified that I have one of the alternates but didn't give the total number of alternates produced and I'd rather not pay extra for additional research. Thanks for any info you can provide.

Does anyone know where the quantity of 938 came from for the number of 1979 mustang cobra Alternates given early on in this post?

I would suggest you email or pm Foxchassis and ask him.

Quote Originally Posted by 417davidk View Post
    Does anyone know where the quantity of 938 came from for the number of 1979 mustang cobra Alternates given early on in this post?
    Click the link that kj_80Cobra posted in post #4 of this thread. Read that whole thread.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Thanks guys!!

FEP Senior Member

I know that the earlycobra.com site is now no more, but has all the info been saved? If so, has anyone decided to continue the research and add these updates to it? I emailed my info for my 79 cobra a few years ago but the site closed down shortly after. Foxchassis, im not sure if YOU had plans to start another site? If you do, please let us know.
    Neal