Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I-Pods

Venomous Moderator Hissing Cobra's Avatar

Default I-Pods

Hey everyone, just wanted to get the general consensus on where everyone stands on I-pods or any other type of music holding device.

I'm now 43 and grew up with cassette tapes and then CD's but I'm glad that I've gotten into the "new" way of things. I have an I-Pod Classic with 160 GB's of memory and this thing rocks. I've got 2,200 songs on it (all full CD's) and to me, it's amazing that I can have the equivalent of 220 CD's on this little box that's smaller than a single cassette tape. I've also got tons of room to spare, as I'm only a tab bit higher than 16 gigs right now.

I do get frustrated with I-Tunes though, as it's sometimes very difficult to figure out. I usually do get to the bottom of things (google is my friend).

So, i pretty much know that most of the younger generation is "up to date" with this stuff, how about you folks of the over 40 generation? Yay, or Nay? Post your thoughts and age.
    Last edited by Hissing Cobra; 01-15-2012 at 07:38 PM.
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    420 rwhp/380 rwt (New Motor)
    11.49 @ 121.86

306/T-5/4.30's (Old Motor)
    307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

I love my Ipod Classic. It's great on long roadtrips, traveling on airplanes, and at the gym.
    1984 SVO 2A - Sold
    1993 Cobra Teal
    2009 Shelby GT500 KR

i have an ipod classic too , love it
    Current rides:
    1995 GT Vert
    1980 notch t top project
    2008 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins
    Past rides:
    1986 GT T Top , 1981 Cobra T Top
    1994 GT, 1982 GT T Top
    1986 GT X 2, 1984 GT T Top
    1991 calipso green vert,
    1979 Pace Car # 0076

i just sold my ipod touch it was super easy to navigate but for what your paying ($300) i think the biggest you can get is 32 gigs.....i only have 1500 songs on my computer and about 70 gigs of podcasts so im gonna be getting the regular ipod with the click wheel like you have
    <Dayne>
    1985 Monte Carlo SS 5.7
    1993 Civic Coupe JDM B16A1
    1982 Mustang GT 5.0
    1980 Mustang Notchback 5.0
    1993 Civic SI D16Z6
    1991 Camaro RS 3.1
    1978 Honda Accord CVCC 1.6
    1983 Camaro Berlinetta 2.8
    1981 Mustang Notchback ...Engineless...again

Quote Originally Posted by 80Notch View Post
    i just sold my ipod touch it was super easy to navigate but for what your paying ($300) i think the biggest you can get is 32 gigs.....i only have 1500 songs on my computer and about 70 gigs of podcasts so im gonna be getting the regular ipod with the click wheel like you have
    I hear ya there. My wife initially bought me the I-pod touch with 16gb's and I knew that it wouldn't have enough memory for my CD collection, so I had to return it to buy my classic. My friend thought I was nuts but I wanted the extra room.
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    11.49 @ 121.86

307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

Oh, how old are you guys - just trying to mentally get a feel for the over 40 crowd and how they stand in this area.
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    11.49 @ 121.86

307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

FEP Senior Member OldsRocket442's Avatar

I have an ipod classic as well. The battey is shot. It won't play until it has charged for about 10-15 minutes or until I hold it in front of my heater vent to warm it up (rc car battery trick to get more charge into them). I want an ipod touch but I'm holding out for more memory.
    Richard

1986 Mustang LX v8 t5 conversion
    1986 Mustang LX 2.3 Auto - Acquired 2-27-13

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2549044

My other "4 eye" is a '67 Cutlass

No IPOD here,I'm old school 6k+ cds and 600records & would'nt have it any other way.

Quote Originally Posted by EVIL8286 View Post
    No IPOD here,I'm old school 6k+ cds and 600records & would'nt have it any other way.
    Wow! That's HARDCORE with that amount of CD's! I can see why you'd stick with them. It takes a LONG time to upload all of them into I-Tunes and then it takes additional time to get them onto the I-pod. For the records, I don't even know if you could convert them over or not. I don't blame you at all!
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    11.49 @ 121.86

307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

I have several Apple products including iPods and iPhones. The hardware and interface is great, but iTunes is the devil. Never could I have imagined it would be such a hassle to get music onto these things. I do use a PC so maybe they make it difficult on purpose unless you use a Mac Book or other Apple product to manage iTunes.
    Black 1985 GT: 408w, in the 6's in the 1/8 mile
    Bimini Blue 1988 LX 5.0 Coupe 5-speed, Hellion turbo, zero options
    Grabber Yellow 1973 Mustang Mach 1: 351c, toploader
    Black 2012 5.0 GT, 6-speed, Brembo brakes, 3.73's
    Wimbledon White 1966 F-100 Shortbed Styleside, 390, Tremec 3550, FiTech EFI

Quote Originally Posted by Hissing Cobra View Post
    Wow! That's HARDCORE with that amount of CD's! I can see why you'd stick with them. It takes a LONG time to upload all of them into I-Tunes and then it takes additional time to get them onto the I-pod. For the records, I don't even know if you could convert them over or not. I don't blame you at all!
    I like to collect and also create my own mixes. My mood changes daily on what I want to listen to so I need it all and more then half the stuff I'm into is'nt on Itunes anyway.

FEP Power Member

I'm 37 and won't have any mp3 player that require itunes. I've used several brands that are cheaper, more versatile, and let me just drag and drop mp3 files without dealing with itunes.

Just got a Sandisk clip to use at the gym after christmas. Holds 4GB but also has a micro SD slot. So I can load playlists on cards and swap them out as my mood changes. It also has a built in radio.

Besides, I tend to be rough on the things. I've had to replace 2 or 3 over the years after dropping dumbbells on them at the gym. So spending the extra cash for apple just doesn't make sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by EVIL8286 View Post
    I like to collect and also create my own mixes. My mood changes daily on what I want to listen to so I need it all and more then half the stuff I'm into is'nt on Itunes anyway.
    You can create your own mixes using I-tunes. You copy your cds to into I-tunes, but that's what takes so long. When I first got my Ipod I did 3-5 cds a day (some days I did much more). Took forever to get them all copied over, but now I always have them with me. I'm close to 7K songs. Be nice when I drive up for the Que.

I am in my late 30s, but in our home, we have ipods, iphones, an ipad, mac laptops and a mac desktop. The only windows we have are the windows in the home that we look out of.....

I've been a mac user since their stock was worthless, but I'm also a technologist that sort of must be on the leading edge of tech. I've always believed macs have been more intuitive for the users.

Heck, I remember 20 yrs ago, I'd wait for a record store to open just to get the latest and greatest from VH on CD. Now 20 yrs later I was up halfway though the night waiting for Tattoo to hit the iTunes store.

GIANTS WIN!!

Official FOX-A-QUE Threads
    : 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009

Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    I'm 37 and won't have any mp3 player that require itunes. I've used several brands that are cheaper, more versatile, and let me just drag and drop mp3 files without dealing with itunes.

Just got a Sandisk clip to use at the gym after christmas. Holds 4GB but also has a micro SD slot. So I can load playlists on cards and swap them out as my mood changes. It also has a built in radio.

Besides, I tend to be rough on the things. I've had to replace 2 or 3 over the years after dropping dumbbells on them at the gym. So spending the extra cash for apple just doesn't make sense to me.
    Actually you can drag and drop with I-tunes. You just drag the files into the folders into the I-tunes directory. In fact that's how I copy my new cds over now. It's a lot faster than copying into I-tunes.

Quote Originally Posted by eeprete View Post
    GIANTS WIN!!
    Looks like I'll be rooting for San Fran next week...

Quote Originally Posted by Zap's 85 GT View Post
    I have several Apple products including iPods and iPhones. The hardware and interface is great, but iTunes is the devil. Never could I have imagined it would be such a hassle to get music onto these things. I do use a PC so maybe they make it difficult on purpose unless you use a Mac Book or other Apple product to manage iTunes.
    Mike,

I hear ya there. I think I-tunes is the devil myself. After I pull my hair out, I usually find out how to do what I want it to do.
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    11.49 @ 121.86

307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

We need a "Like" button here!
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    11.49 @ 121.86

307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

Quote Originally Posted by eeprete View Post

GIANTS WIN!!
    BITE ME!
    Mike

1986 ASCMclaren #108
    stock short block, Victor EFI, 75mm TB, 3.08's, Borla cat-back, slot style MAF conversion, Gt-40p heads, TFS1 cam, 80lb injectors, 69mm turbo, Moates Quaterhorse, E85. 501/584 @ the rear wheels

FEP Power Member

Quote Originally Posted by 1158 View Post
    Actually you can drag and drop with I-tunes. You just drag the files into the folders into the I-tunes directory. In fact that's how I copy my new cds over now. It's a lot faster than copying into I-tunes.
    After you've spent hours and hours converting all the mp3s to that stupid proprietary format itunes insists on. My music collection is always growing and I haven't paid for music in over 10 years. Why would I switch to itunes and be forced to pay for downloads? Or else force myself into the added step of converting what I've downloaded to apple's format?!?! While paying more money to boot.

I don't see any logic in using apple's products.

Quote Originally Posted by 1158 View Post
    You can create your own mixes using I-tunes. You copy your cds to into I-tunes, but that's what takes so long. When I first got my Ipod I did 3-5 cds a day (some days I did much more). Took forever to get them all copied over, but now I always have them with me. I'm close to 7K songs. Be nice when I drive up for the Que.
    I'm a collector & I still get excited to buy a cd. Started buying records when I was 7 then it carried over to cds. Spinning mixes recorded live in my house is one of my favorite past times. Can I Ipod hold 900k to a million songs?

Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    After you've spent hours and hours converting all the mp3s to that stupid proprietary format itunes insists on. My music collection is always growing and I haven't paid for music in over 10 years. Why would I switch to itunes and be forced to pay for downloads? Or else force myself into the added step of converting what I've downloaded to apple's format?!?! While paying more money to boot.

I don't see any logic in using apple's products.
    You only pay if you want to buy a song from I-tunes, which I don't do. If you have downloaded music it's easy to put it in I-tunes. All you have to do is go into I-tunes and point it to the new folder with the music. It will see it and doesn't need to convert it to anything. I do it all the time. The only music that is converted to the special format is stuff you buy from I-tunes so you can't copy it to a CD. Music that you buy/borrow/download outside of I-tunes remains unchanged (mp3/mp4).

I'm finding it harder to let go of all those CD's I have that I put onto my iPod (classic 160). I have around 60Gb of music on it.
    1985 Mustang GT Mild 331 4bbl 5 spd, 1985 SEFI LTD LX AOD.
    Cardomain: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/565542
    Mid Size LTD LX Facebook page! http://www.facebook.com/groups/233213650060739/

FEP Member

I use the iPod touch 32g and i'm no where close to using all that space. I actually bought it because my zune hd wasn't playing nice with my iMac.
    I love the desktop as it's simple and reliable. Having animals the lack of cords and bs really was the final factor when I bought it. Only cable you hook up is a power cord. Everything else is wireless with tower and screen as a combo unit.

Kind of funny to be looking to buy a new head unit for the mustang and be trying to decide if I even need a cd player anymore. I've pretty much voted no as I can't remember the last time I used a cd.
    500+rwhp svo
    My project

I'm 40, and following this thread closely. My AM radio in the wagon is my only radio and it doesn't work!!! No, I am not kidding! It's pathetic! I miss my music!
    Car has plans, but I'm ready to get in touch with the times.
    '78 Fairmont with 4 doors and 8 cylinders.
    '92 LX convertible with 2 doors and 4 cylinders.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast