Close

Default My SVO is fighting me..

So my SVO still sits in my garage broken. This year it really doesn't want to come out of it's winter sleep. So far the fuel pump died, blew a coolant hose (while in a non-running condition..figure that one out), got like 4 new oil leaks, and idles at 2000 RPM. All that before I even starting my upgrades. I put a turbo on..only to blow it a block later. Got another turbo on it, cam is in, and IC is put on. Took it out for a drive with the new turbo and popped an IC hose off and had a MAJOR oil leak at the turbo almost causing a fire. I somehow got it back to my house were it sits till I have time to fix it.

I am starting to think all SVO are hexed.. Lucky for me the weather is crap so I don't have the urge to drive it.
    1984 SVO - .63 T3/T4, NPR, LA3, Boport 1.5
    1984 GT - 306

Yeah, SVOs are hopeless. Better give it to me.

None of us here at FEP would ever call into question your wrenching ability.....
    soooo, it MUST be that the car is hexed.

Yeah, that's it... the car is hexed.
    '86 Capri 5.0, black with charcoal interior, 5 spd, fully restored, mildly modded.

'86 Capri 5.0, white with black interior, C4, rotisserie restored, heavily modded.

Mike Croke

Cars will do that at times. Our '84 Turbo RS has been trying to achieve daily driver status for at least 4 years. It's not there yet. On the plus side, I am running out of things I haven't replaced yet.

Turbo cars have many more points of failure than a naturally aspirated one. Just par for the course.
    Black 1985 GT: 408w, in the 6's in the 1/8 mile
    Bimini Blue 1988 LX 5.0 Coupe 5-speed, Hellion turbo, zero options
    Grabber Yellow 1973 Mustang Mach 1: 351c, toploader
    Black 2012 5.0 GT, 6-speed, Brembo brakes, 3.73's
    Wimbledon White 1966 F-100 Shortbed Styleside, 390, Tremec 3550, FiTech EFI

Welcome to my {SVO ownership} world.....

On the positive side, once you get it sorted out, it is really a fun car to {daily} drive.
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

I can't wait till I get it straighten out for sure. Going from a almost stock ihi powered 2.3 to a boport 1.9/NPR/T3-T4 should be an eye opener.

And yes I fully understand some of the issue the car has are my doing. Just want to hit the road and have some fun crusing.
    1984 SVO - .63 T3/T4, NPR, LA3, Boport 1.5
    1984 GT - 306

Ah, the joys of older vehicles. I haven't touched mine in a year... I've got a list of things I can see need fixing, and then there's the list of things that break before I get to the first list. Now that I'm not driving it, I'm just working on collecting parts and doing as much as I can while one section of the car is taken apart.
    2015 Jeep Wrangler Sport
    1984 Mustang convertible

Mike Croke

Driving home yesterday in the SVO, I noticed wisps of smoke wafting up from the steering column. The ignition switch was falling apart and the bad contacts were causing things to melt. A new switch from Autozone fixed it. But now, the catalytic converter rattles.

I've replaced 4 of those switches this month alone... My Capri randomly ruptured a heater hose yesterday, everytime I do something nice while driving a 2.3, something happens. A few years back I was on my way up to the county jail on Christmas day to bring some food to the people working, and my timing belt snapped on my coupe, and this time I was going to check on my father in law because he threw his back out last weekend.