Close

Default What was correct for the 84 GT?

Did 84 mustang GTs have foglites only or just the badging and foglite less front ends? Also was it correct to have a hood scoop facing frontwards or backwards? My car was a late 84 and it had no badgings for gt hood scoop
    or foglights, heck it didnt even have a radio. From what i understand mine is a LX gt? does this make any sense?

thanks, Cody

FEP Super Member

Early 84 had no fog lights.
    some had a reverse hood scoop.
    All are actually listed by insurance as an LX

Mine is an early 84 , built in Dec. of 83 , has no scoop or fog lights .
    Has GT on the hood , and both front fenders and the spoiler on the left side after the mustang tag.
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

I think that since my car was a stripped down model, hence no ac, radio,power anything, that it is just a LX

FEP Power Member

Quote Originally Posted by ashley roachclip View Post
    Early 84 had no fog lights.
    some had a reverse hood scoop.
    All are actually listed by insurance as an LX

Mine is an early 84 , built in Dec. of 83 , has no scoop or fog lights .
    Has GT on the hood , and both front fenders and the spoiler on the left side after the mustang tag.
    My brother bought a new GT in early 84, like you said, no hood scoop or fog lights. I
    Kendal

Neither here nor there

Quote Originally Posted by sebring84 View Post
    I think that since my car was a stripped down model, hence no ac, radio,power anything, that it is just a LX

Look for the bucktag on the front radiator support near the drivers headlights. That will tell you if its a true GT.

For the '84 model year, the rear-facing hood scoop was only on the Turbo GT (including turbo G.T.350).

Very few items were standard in '84, even on the GT. Just because any particular car has few or no options does not make it an LX.

i will check that out today when im at the garage. The prior owner who i am very good friends with contacted ford back in 94 and they wrote him a letter stating that it is a LX-GT. 4bbl V-8, T-5, and a 7.5 Trac lock rear with 3.08 gears. I love know the history of my car. All I do now is that Im the 3rd owner and that the orignal owner bought the car new in 84 from Carl Beasley Ford in York, Pa. Drove the death out of it and then sold it to my friend Mike in 94. Mike the second owner, then had it painted and somewhat restored. New carb, telephone dial wheels, 88 1/4 glass and hatch, Flowmaster exhaust. Well I bought it in the fall of 02 and well it was all down hill from there.

The letter your friend Mike got from Ford is commonly referred to as a "History 999" report. (Click the link for some examples.) Those reports are known to have inaccurate information on them. Ford CRC put "LX-GT" on that report because an '84 5.0L hatchback (28M in the VIN) could be either. Since only the VIN was supplied to Ford CRC, that's the best they did in reporting which model it is.

My late '84 has foglights with the foglight bumper cover which the early '84's had no foglights and a non foglight bumper cover. Also no scoop what so ever.
    1990 SuperCoupe 300hp
    19841/2 1E Mustang GT con&%@$able (bone stock)
    1958 Chrysler "Hemi" 2 door hard top w/ 392 Hemi 10:1, 2x4 crossram intake, '55 ported/polished heads; I 2.00/E 1.75 (restoration project)
    1931 Model A 5 window coupe ("Hemi" hotrod project)
    8 3/4 rearend.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by GSP393 View Post
    My late '84 has foglights with the foglight bumper cover which the early '84's had no foglights and a non foglight bumper cover. Also no scoop what so ever.
    Same for my late 84 GT

x2 Same for my 84...
    1982 Capri RS - Sold
    1979 Fairmont - Sold
    1988 Mustang GT - Sold
    1984.5 Mustang GT - Sold
    2001 Mustang GT - Sold
    1983 Mustang GT - Current

FEP Power Member

I am not sure about 84's but I know all the 85 GT's had sport seats as standard, while the 5.0 LX 85's came with standard front seats. Of course, seat can be changed easily so it is not an absolute.
    85 GT vert

The 'Sport' seats were standard in the '84 model year only in the G.T.350 and the SVO. They were optional in the LX and the GT. They were not available in the L.