Close

Threaded View

Default rkuhn's 84 GT Turbo Resurrection

After many, many, many setbacks I am finally starting the work on this car. I have had it about a year now and have basically done nothing to it. Now I am ready to go. This is the thread where I originally introduced the car to you guys and told the story of how I bought it.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=112575

My car is almost a twin to homer302’s and I’ve been enjoying his build thread and learning allot. A couple of months ago I changed all the fluids out and with no luck tried to start it. The fuel pump wasn’t getting any power to it so I changed out the ignition because it had fallen apart. I’m assuming from sitting up so long outside on a blacktop driveway in the South Mississippi heat it must have melted. Still no power to the fuel pump???

I did pull it out about a month ago and washed it for the first time in many years. Unfortunately it didn’t shine it up to well due to the fact that most of the paint is off of it. Other than the surface rust it is a very solid car though. The only rot I have found is about a dime size whole under the driver’s seat. That is from looking under the car I have not pulled the carpet out yet.

Anyway I was told that the reason that the car was set up in the first place was due to a blown head gasket. I was hoping that they were wrong and that it stopped running from the fuel pump not working because the oil and water looked clean. Well today I borrowed a friend of mines compression checker, (don’t know the proper name) and checked it out. Unfortunately it looks like it’s blown. #1 had around 130 psi #2 had around 30psi #3 had around 75psi and #4 had around 130psi. So I am assuming it is blown between 2 and 3???

This is some of the documentation I have gathered for the car so far.

This is FoxChassis breakdown I can’t find where he broke down the buck tag but I know he did.

VIN
    1FA = Ford vehicle manufactured in USA
    B = manual seatbelts, no airbags
    P = passenger car
    28 = Mustang 3-door hatchback
    W = turbocharged 2.3L engine (Turbo GT)
    0 = VIN check digit
    E = 1984 model year
    F = Dearborn Assembly
    147700 = consecutive unit number

VC Label
    F0139 = 139 lbs front accessory reserve load
    R0059 = 59 lbs rear accessory reserve load
    Exterior Paint Colors - ?? =
    DSO - ??
    Body - 61B = Mustang 3-door hatchback
    Int Trim - HD = cloth Sport Performance seating, Canyon Red interior
    A/C - T1 = tape/Turbo Gt decal code Black/Silver Metallic exterior
    R - 8 = AM/FM stereo auto-reverse cassette
    S - D = T-roof
    Ax - R = 3.45:1, Traction-Lok
    Tr - 2 = T-5 transmission
    55 = D8BZ-5310-BF front springs
    ZZ = E4BZ-5560-J rear springs

My goal is to do 100% of the work on this car. It won’t be a total restoration but mostly a mechanical and cosmetic restoration. I plan on having it look mostly stock with the exception of different wheels and lowered. I will also add some mild power mods. Not sure what it will be as of yet I am still researching and debating that.
    My battle plan
    1. Disassemble the car.
    2. Body and paint work
    3. Interior
    4. Redo the motor/ not sure to what extent yet???
    5. Put it all back together
    6. Suspension work

I’m sure these things will change as I go along. Also I know this will be a very long process but I am excited about getting it started. I am off work all next week for Easter break so I will put a big dent in the disassembly next week. Hopefully I will have it all done next week so I can get to moving with the body work. I plan on keeping an extensive photo journal so I will be posting a lot of pics. I didn’t mean for this intro to be so long, sorry about that, so enough yakking and off to work.

This is how the car looks today

Last edited by rkuhn; 04-03-2012 at 04:38 PM.
    65 Mustang
    77 Mustang
    84 GT Turbo
    85 Mustang Convertible
    86 Mustang LX