Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default I copied 69Clark

I need to start getting my own ideas

Sorry if you were expecting an awesome slammed fox, I just copied the interior idea.

I have nothing but time right now and some vinyl. So I pulled out the heat gun, spray adhesive and vinyl. It turned out pretty well. I have a lot of work ahead of me and I'm sure my work will get better as I go. I was going to use red thread for the stitching but I didn't want it to be cheesy. I know the black will look good and after all this work, I dont want to take any chances. Anyways, here are some pics!

As you can see one of them had some wrinkles in it. I might re do that one. It is so hard to get all of the creases out!!!

Looks good more pics. Did you do the sewing yourself?
    Tom

CAMMED & SLAMMED! For more build pics and updates: http://www.facebook.com/SINISBuilt

For being "BUILT not BOUGHT" I am still broke!

Thank you! Yes I did do the sewing myself. I only have these 2 pieces done right now. Did you want a different shot of them? Thanks for posting your thread as well. Your interior looks awesome!

No just more pics when you get more done I guess, lol. Looks good so for, probably better than mine and I paid someone to do the parts that needed seems sewn in.
    Tom

CAMMED & SLAMMED! For more build pics and updates: http://www.facebook.com/SINISBuilt

Imitation is the highest form of flattery and what you are doing is no different than putting a Saleen wing and ground effects on your car. 69Clark is a visionary when it comes to Fox customization and we all love his ideas because they are unique and really look beautiful. It was only a matter of time before someone else got inspired by his work. I'm sure he got some of his ideas by drawing inspiration from the automotive artists that he respects. I think your work looks great and I can't wait to see how it turns out. Being able to do your own upholstery is a skill that not a lot of people have (myself included) and its awesome that you can use that talent on your own projects. Keep up the good work and keep us posted.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Thanks a ton guys! I really appreciate the compliments.
    There are so many nice cars on here and I hope that someday I can have a sweet build thread like others on here.

Truthfully, I hate upholstery but I learned because the price can be ridiculous. I also inherited an industrial sewing machine so I might as well put it to use!

I am gonna do the same thing, the panels in my car are shot, and i don't want to be scouring the yards for replacements.
    --1981 Mustang N/A 2.3 4 speed--

╔╗╔╗ ╔═╗╔═╗╗ ╔╔═╗╔═╗ ╔╗╔╗
    ║╗║║ ╚═╗╠═╝╚╦╝╠╦╝╚═╗ ║╗║║
    ╚╝╚╝ ╚═╝╝ . # ╝╚╝╚═╝ ╚╝╚╝

FEP Super Member 79mustangcobra's Avatar

69Clark is a good one to copy! Good job sewing the trim!
    1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
    2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
    MCA #70281 - 79-93 MCA Concours Judge
    Proverbs 3:5-6

My Mustang Story
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...71#post1688371

Chicago, Illinois. home to the world's largest collection of potholes

looks awesome!
    hello, my name is Epi and i'm addicted to four-eyes
    '86 Mustang GT convertible - restomod
    '86 Capri - DD hotrod
    '08 Ford Edge - Weekend hauler
    past:
    '86 Mustang GT hatch - sold for diapers
    '87 LTD - gone after 12 long years
    '90 Mustang LX - cancer
    '86 Thunderbird 3.8L
    '87 Mustang GT

Thanks again guys! I will have some more pics up as soon as I finish another panel.

As stated already, "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" !

Actually you upholstering the interior panels is copying Dugan Racing from many years ago! Actually I have no idea who did it first. Dugan Racing did a Candy Apple Red Aero with beige interior for Super Ford and they wrapped all the interior plastic and I thought it was a great idea!
    Here are a couple of pics of it, although none of the hatch area. http://www.dugan-racing.com/html/cars_for_sale.htm

I have the same plans for my Pace Car and many others too, I just need the time and money to get working on them.

Good Luck with your panels and definitely post up more pictures as you can!

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Im not the biggest fan of beige interiors but that looks awesome!
    Unfortunately time and money are a lot harder to come by than cool ideas.

Looks terrific!!
    '85GT Bright Atlantic Blue
    '92LX Bimini Blue-sold
    '93 COBRA Teal Metallic-sold
    '86SVO Oxford White-sold
    '86GT 'Vert True Blue-sold
    '81'GT' Medium Red-sold

Looks great! Keep it up!
    1982 Dominator GT
    *1st Dominator ever sold and
    autographed by Jackie Stewart *
    1993 Corvette
    2005 Roush Mustang
    2008 Escape
    (DD)

I feel like an idiot for not noticing this on Toms car when I saw it last year! Looks awesome so far,guess I need to go back to my Home Economics class in jr high,the red interior in my Capri needs some help
    putting together a little something special......stay tuned!

92 notch-WIP
    87GT-S Trim,4:10s,AOD=12.70@107
    89vert-sold
    84SVO-WIP
    84 notch-aka-FREAKSHOW
    85GT shell-for sale
    78 Zephyr-WIP
    86 Capri RS-WIP

Finally,the list of fox wants is complete!!!

Thanks guys! I just pulled the large rear panels out. Now I feel like I need to remove the stock sound deadening, POR15 the floor boards, and apply Dynomat. I always add more work once I start something. Why can't I stop spending money!!!!

Wow, great work and sewing to boot keep us updated as I love to learn from others....your influence has impact!

I do the same, just can't stop adding work or improvements ..... It's a hobby or as my wife says a disease!

Thank you! It is definitely not a disease...... right?

I finished half of a rear piece. These take a while and have to been done in small sections. Here is a small sample.

The piece will look much better once it is completed. I also took a ton of photos this time and I will do a small write up with them. I don't have time to do it now but expect an update later tonight!

That looks great. My upholstery guy swore up and down doing those rear panels. I actually went to a couple shops and they all though I was crazy for wanting the panels covered. These are guys that did hotrods and boats, but I think they I challenged them and they all bowed out except the guy that actually did the work for me.

Either way, with your progress you are making it look easy. If you are able to do that work, than you may have a new future ahead of you because like I said, I went to several hot rod upholstery shops and they didn't want any part of it (and upholstery is what they do for their livelihood).

And I tell people I talk to that this is proof that they know how to build cars on the west coast, back east we look like a bunch of clowns that don't even know what really hot rods are. Still baffles me to this day that it was so difficult to get that work done.
    Tom

Stupid question,are those glued to the qtr plastics or sewed to the plastic?
    putting together a little something special......stay tuned!

92 notch-WIP
    87GT-S Trim,4:10s,AOD=12.70@107
    89vert-sold
    84SVO-WIP
    84 notch-aka-FREAKSHOW
    85GT shell-for sale
    78 Zephyr-WIP
    86 Capri RS-WIP

Finally,the list of fox wants is complete!!!

That looks awesome! I can't wait to see how you are actually doing the upholstery. I am not a pro at upholstery by any chance, so I will guarantee that I will be stealing some tricks from you!

Can't wait for more!

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Once again thanks for the compliments! You guys help me to stay motivated. The Vinyl is all glued on with spray adhesive. I am uploading pics now so I will have a small write up in little bit.

I did this as a side job for a little while and absolutely hated it haha. Here is a picture of the last seat that I did. I think it turned out really nice!

Alright so the first thing I do is to make a template of the area that I want to cover. I forgot to take a picture of this step

However here is a picture of the piece I cut out, using a paper template.

So using your imagination you can hopefully see where this piece is intended to go. Next you want to lightly sand the plastic to allow the spray adhesive to grab. Here is a picture of the adhesive I use.

Next you spray both surfaces that need to be bonded. This adhesive sprays out in spiderweb like strands. Get a good layer on both pieces and then give it about 2 minutes to dry.

Then it is time to attach the vinyl to the plastic. I start with one side usually the side with a long flat side, if one is available. Allow that side to lightly touch the plastic until you are satisfied with its placement. Be careful because this stuff grabs on and doesn't want to let go!

Here is a picture of the piece attached. As you can see it looks like a 3rd graders attempt upholstery. BE PATIENT!

You want to go back and trim off all of the excess. After this step I still had one more piece of vinyl to apply because the fake seem continued all the way down the piece. Oh yeah I forgot to mention. Not much sewing is required. It is just a lot of gluing and a small bit off sewing. If you tried to sew together a perfect fit glove for the piece it would take forever to get right.

Here is the next piece I needed to add. A little sanding. A little masking....

and then it is time to spray adhesive on both surfaces. Be careful to keep the spray adhesive off of the vinyl you attached earlier.

Now it is time to attach the new vinyl!

Uh oh, it is still ugly! Now we need to make a fake seem to glue over the joints in the vinyl pieces. At the beginning of this thread you can see that I used a single seem for most of the pieces and a double seem on one of the pieces. I decided I like the double seem the most so I will be continuing with that.

First thing to do is get out your sewing machine (You can tell your friends that it is your wife's, mom's, girlfriend's etc...). You need to cut out a 2 inch long piece of vinyl. Use a straight edge because this needs to be straight.

Fold it over like this.

Now pay attention to the amount of material on the bottom of the fold. However far you choose to fold the fabric over is how wide your piece will be when you are done. This will make more sense later.

Next stick it in the machine and sew as close to the edge as possible. If you have never sewn before than I recommend you do some practice pieces first. Getting your hand this close to the needle can be a little unnerving your first time.

BOOM

You now need to fold the piece over again. This is where the fold you made before comes into play. It will affect how wide your piece is.

Here is the finished product. You will need to trim off the extra fabric without cutting into the stitching.

Now here is where the magic happens. I use super glue and attach the piece over the joints in the vinyl pieces I cut earlier.

And then that leaves me here. I still have more cutting sewing and gluing before this piece will be done.

The pieces look a little rough right now and that is because I need to go back and make sure that all of the trim pieces are super glued down all of the way. I was in a bit of a rush to get all of this done today.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast