Close

Default Tachometer wiring problem, please help.

I searched and found several "tach not working" threads, but my problem is a little different. My tach was working up until a few weeks ago, when I began redoing the interior. My 85 coupe was of course my dad's car, in the last few years of his life, he spent a lot of time playing with the car. He wasn't really able to drive it, so he sat in it, and added gauges, power outlets, cd player, amp, additional speakers, etc. An additional tach also found it's way onto the car.

These modifications added about a thousand pounds of wiring to the car, and I only wish I was kidding. I have finally got to the point where I am begining to "get over" undoing some of my dad's work. I began pulling out the additional wires, and I was finding numerous "hot" wires running straight to the battery, but then not hooked to anything.

Long story short in the process of pulling these wires, I made the tach (both of them) stop working. I took this opportunity to pull the aftermarket tach off, but have been unable to make the stock tach work again. Admittedly I am pretty ignorant on this stuff, but I am whooped. I have hooked the green and yellow wire going into the tach into the negative lead on the accel super coil, and even tried the positive as well. Any ideas what I should try, and is it possible the factory tach is just fried? BTW hooking the negative lead to the tach actually causes the car to die out as the spark stops.

Sorry for the novel, but please help me.
    1985 Mustang 5.0 coupe - dad's
    1983 Mustang GT sold deeply missed
    1981 Mercury Capri sold, not so missed (too far gone)
    1991 LX 5.0 vert sold
    2000 GT 75 mm TB, PP upper plenum, CAI, x pipe w/flows, SCT xcal 2 with a BAMAchips custom tune

not sure about the yellow wire on the negative but the green one does go on the negative side of the coil. maybe check to see if the stock gauge is getting power and possibly do a continuity test on the green wire, also check your ground for the gauge.

FEP Power Member

ya, mine is green and red, 85 gt

is it possible for a tach to go bad. if so what causes it?
    1991 LX 5.0 vert sold
    2000 GT 75 mm TB, PP upper plenum, CAI, x pipe w/flows, SCT xcal 2 with a BAMAchips custom tune

Quote Originally Posted by white1983GT View Post
    is it possible for a tach to go bad. if so what causes it?
    drugs
    86 GT Conv. Stock White "Shamu" - Sold 2014 @ 134k
    84 5.0 LX Conv. Canyon Red - Sold to collector 2010
    82 GT Coupe Black - Full body Stk Race Car - Sold 2003
    87 GT Conv. Wife's Stock Poppy Red - Sold 2002

Quote Originally Posted by twistedwankel View Post
    drugs
    So I guess all that money I spent for private school was wasted on him?
    1991 LX 5.0 vert sold

Well lets assume I was going to run new wires to hook to the tach, what wires would I connect?
    1991 LX 5.0 vert sold

you would need a power,a ground, and pick-up lead, do not put power to the pick-up lead wire. If you want to use the original tach get a schematic of the tach so you will know which wire goes where.