Close

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by GTJerry View Post
    This is consistent with what I heard a couple years ago. The transformers are hard to find. Guess I better get lookin'!
    I found the local guy by searching for a business that had been around for 20-25 years thinking they had worked on them back in the day and may have some laying around. When he did mine and I picked it up he stated he had not worked on one in probably 15 plus years but had some of those transformers stashed away. If you cannot find someone locally let me know and I can point you in the direction of the guy in Portland, Oregon...I believe the email conversation from a couple years ago is still there...which will be fairly close to you.
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

my 83 GT still has the original premium sound with amp pull... sounds ok, really needs new speakers. 30 years is a long time
    83 Mustang GT
    I Heart 4180C!!!
    88 FHP Mustang
    14 Mustang V6 performance package

Default Ford DIN replacements plentyfull at pic a part yards

Many 80's-90's radio versions with blue, green, red lights can be found in salvage yards.
    Good for parts or just swapping in. Less than 20.00 for clean working units w/harness and connectors.

History:
    OEM AM/FM outside fender antenna, cable, and plate still going strong.
    Complete OEM audio wiring harness in place, no longer used.

1979-1987
    1-Ford OEM AM/FM stereo- shaft knobs, am/fm slider- push buttons quit- removed for AM/FM cassette unit. still have it.
    2-Ford OEM AM/FM cassette- shaft knobs, quit working in the late 80's- inop, still have it.
    Motorola 2001-PX amps (two), made in Texas USA, 1980's 15w rms- removed, working, still have them.

Car out of service 1987-2000.
    Installed JVC unit (below) when car went back into service.

3-JVC KX RX177 AM/FM cassette- shaft knobs, removed early 2000's for the higher power SONY. Works fine.

Trimmed dash for DIN. Way easier to work on radios.
    4- SONY XR-CA330 AM/FM cassette- DIN, 2003-2012. Too much silver, hard to operate.
    5- 1995 Ford F5CF-19B131AA DIN, AM/FM stereo only. Looks sharp. Too many button pushes to change settings.
    6- 1990 Ford F01F-19B132-AA radio/cassette DIN digital display, bass/treble/fade/bal knobs no clock; similar to SVO premium.

OEM speakers- long gone in 80's. Removed for EPI w/amps.
    EPI LS70 4 speaker system- mid 80's. foam deteriorated- still have them.
    Jenson JTS 82 bass boom tube- removed to gain space.
    Thump 8" compact 2 way boxes- removed for space.
    Clarion 5.25" center dash, combined L+R channels. Removed for Ford Explorer 6x8.

Current:
    1990 Ford F01F-19B132-AA radio/cassette DIN, little knob style, from 1991 Mercury Mystique.
    Thump T8351 3.5" 40w dash front corners. Installed 2001 still play fine.
    Ford F8AF-18818-EA 25w center speaker, combined L+R channels from ft speakers. Sounds great.
    SONY 222 aux 2 ch rear amp 35w rms installed 2005 works fine.
    JBL LCS 960 6x9's in rear 1/4 panels. Installed in 2000. Still play great.

Premium sound switch/plate/light- working, for rear aux Sony amp.
    Replaced burnt out OEM LED w/ RS amber 12v LED.

Current setup is my favorite sound-wise, function-wise, space-wise so far. Cost less than 100.00 total.
    Using all new large gauge wire for all audio and power. Added additional aux fuse panel.
    The 1995 and 1990 radio use the same main power and speaker connectors. The back light wiring is slightly different.

Problem:
    Over the years, new electronic devices have found their way into cars. GPS, etc.
    80's cars have no real convenient provision for powering these, other than from the cig lighter outlet.

Fix:
    Added a 2nd separate fuse panel for accessories. Radio, amps, gps, 12v power points.
    Similar to adding a built in 12v power strip to a old cars wiring. Cost 30.00.
    No more mysterious power drain when car sits for days.
    -30a Maxifuse and holder mounted to fender near battery, connected to battery.
    -Wired Maxifuse directly to 12v relay which controls entire 2nd aux fuse panel.
    -Aftermarket 30a rated, 8 fuse aux panel, mounted behind glove box. Panel is hot via relay, key on.

The additional fuse panel works perfectly, relieving the main panel and cig lighter of added 12v power device connections.
    Last edited by gr79; 07-01-2015 at 02:36 AM.

Banned

There's a factory auto reverse tape deck in this parts car that works haha

my stock am/fm cassete player with stock speakers and factory amp still work 1979 capri r/s (rather hear the motor )

The stock radio in my Twister II still works and surprisingly the stock radio in my '77 Mach still works. I think the one in my '85 LX worked when I got it but we pulled that stereo out and put in a different one. I don't think any of my car stereos were bad when I got my cars. I just don't usually leave them in since I always listen to my ipod and hate fighting the cassette adapter.
    '03 Explorer Limited
    '85 LX
    '85 Twister II
    '89 LX
    '98 v6
    '77 Mach 1.....and I still own them all.

I have one. I have not decided if I am going to put it in. My car has practically every option but for some reason it was ordered with the radio delete option. It does have that fabulous 80's red and white leather interior though!

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0ranger View Post
    my 83 GT still has the original premium sound with amp pull... sounds ok, really needs new speakers. 30 years is a long time
    Same here. I really like the old fashioned push buttons to change the channels but the sound of a 30 year old system isn't very good. Still works after 30 years though. Good quality stuff.
    JK
    1983 Capri RS Turbo (since new)
    1970 Boss 302 (since 1980)
    1965 Mustang Coupe (since 1976)

My 86 GT still has the original factory Premium radio/cassette. I however installed a subwoofer (and amp for it) and replaced the lame behind carpet speakers in the rear with a pair of box speakers where the seat back used to be.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    79 2.3 Turbo PC (two, 1 with 32k original miles & 1 with 58k original miles)
    80 2.3 Turbo sunroof hatch (bought new, SOLD)
    84 5.0 GT T-top hatch (bought new, SOLD)
    86 5.0 GT convert (bought new, DONATED), 86 5.0 GT convert (SOLD)
    86 5.0 GT hatch (SOLD), 86 5.0 LX coupe (SOLD)
    86 5.0 LX SSP UHP (SOLD), 86 5.0 LX SSP GSP clone (SOLD)
    89 5.0 LX SSP MSP (owned 3 of the 20, SOLD)
    89 5.0 LX convert (1 of 203)
    93 5.0 LX SSP NHP (1 of eight)

My 82 GT with premium sound am/fm cassette works great front right speaker is crackly. Amp works great too.

Both of my cars are low mile survivors, so of course they both still have the original radios and both work :-) BTW....if anyone is trying to restore a car and put a stock twin post radio back in a dash that has been cut for a DIN radio, don't sweat it. It CAN be done. See my posts in this thread and let me know if you need any further details: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...over-the-years
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

Still have the am/fm in my 85. No cassette. I'm stuck with the radio at all times lol.
    1985 Mustang 5.0 T5

Best 1/4 to date: 15.24 @ 91 stock

Stock "Premium Sound" AM/FM cassette in the '79 wagon, stock electronic tuning AM/FM Cassette in
    the '85 hatch, and stock AM-only one-speaker radio in the '81 Futura. Need to do something about
    that last one, factory style of course.

As much as I love great sound in other places, in cars I'm just... meh. The tunes are more background
    accompaniment to the sounds the car makes. That, and I hate hacking holes where they don't belong.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

Still have OEM FoMoCo "Premium Sound " systems in both our 86 SVO & 88 TC. This includes the OEM speakers as well. TC "Equalizer" power switch does not stay in the ON position which is annoying. Volume control on the SVO is starting to become erratic . Goal is to send each unit out for appropriate repairs in 2014 before the driving season.

My son and I use IPOD and or IPHONE 's connected via cassett adapters for our music selection. And the digital tunes don't sound too bad in our 1980's FoMoCo systems for crusing and short road trips.
    1986 SVO 7b - Original Owner
    1988 Turbo Coupe - Original Owner
    2015 Fusion Titanium AWD - DD
    2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Son's DD

Past Pony's

1964 - Mustang - 289 - 225 HP - Dad's - Delivered 4/17/64
    1965 - Mustang - Hi Po GT - Prairie Bronze
    1967 - Shelby GT 350

Mine still works OK. Could use new front speakers though.

FEP Power Member

My 84 GT350 still works o.k. but I'm not satisfied with the quality of the Ford sound systems during the 1980's. It eats cassette tapes if you don't slip it into place just right. It will be replaced. I will however keep the original system just in case the next owner decides they want it installed again. Can't imagine why though, other than being extra fussy about being 100% original.

Name:  photo(26).jpg
Views: 182
Size:  52.8 KB , still work, never going to replace it. If it broke, I still leave it in.
    Always Stay Humble. -Sinister-

86 LX vert still has working AM/FM/ cassete. My boy had fun with the old school preset procedure when we started driving it again in 2012. Beach Boys Endless Summer still in it from last Cruise.
    My 86 Capri had a Sony after market when I boughtit 3 years ago. lousy AM, can't listen to my favorite talk radio guys. But I can listen to my CDs.
    Playlist Kingston Trio, Tobey Keith, Mumford and Sons, Of Monsters and Men, Collin Raye, Mark Lawry.
    Ray
    86 Mustang LX 3.8 Convertible (bought new}
    65 Galaxie 500 XL 390 auto
    2A

AM/FM radio in my 83GL still works but I will upgrade though that's last on the list of things...

My PS cassete still works the speakers could use a little help though. Top down sound not so good
    85 GT Vert 5 Speed 42K original miles As of right now Stock to the bone well not so much bolt ons going on

My 83' LTD still has the AM/FM Radio with the Premium sound. And the Amp switch still works. Actually sounds good. The left dash speaker has a buzz, but the felt-like covering of the speaker came apart and was laying on it. removed it and the buzz it gone.

My 83' LTD still has the AM/FM Radio with the Premium sound. And the Amp switch still works. Actually sounds good. The left dash speaker has a buzz, but the felt-like covering of the speaker came apart and was laying on it. removed it and the buzz it gone.

the one in the 86 does. a buddy of mine wants to buy it for his fully restored 86. prob just give or trade it to him. would look great in such a perfect car.

Quote Originally Posted by 8ballEinstein View Post
    My '85 GT still has a working AM/FM radio but at times the left speaker cuts out. This has bothered me for years now. I've checked the wire going to that speaker and it's fine. If someone can tell me what to do next, I would appreciate it.
    Are they the stock speakers? If so, try replacing them, even if just for a little while. This will prove if the speaker has a bad voice coil that could be going out.

1986 SVO here stereo still works but tape deck seems slow and has no volume . also blown rr speaker. I'm actually on here searching on what to do. whether to find a working factory radio or install a new system completely speakers and all

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast