Close

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

My 79 has the stock AM radio with only the center dash speaker, still works great but can only find mostly talk shows

The factory radio was out of the Capri when my brother got it in '88.

BUT I still have the original AM (only) radio in the 73 Maverick! Still works great.
    Cars:1982 Mercury Capri RS, 5.0 HO
    1973 Ford Maverick, 250 L6, C4
    1977 Ford Maverick, 250 L6, C4

still have the stock system in my annie
    the movie twister..i lived it big cabin oklahoma summer of '73

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBXnM5-B1T4
    current cars
    1984 gt 350 vert. second owner
    1986 lx 5.0 hatchback gone but not forgotten

Mine still works I even got a spare on the shelf. My cassette does not work on either one. So my iPod won't play thru the cassette adapter got to get it fixed.
    Rob

current cars:
    83 GT Convertible
    83 Project GT T-Top Coupe
    84 GT T-Top Hatch
    86 GT Hatch low mile car
    00 V-6 Convertible

all white cars!

Mine is still all stock in my 85 but the tape deck drags and is the only speaker that works is the right rear. I'm going to take it out and get it redone and put it in my 84 GT Turbo that now has an OLD aftermarket tape deck. I am going all new in my 85
    65 Mustang
    77 Mustang
    84 GT Turbo
    85 Mustang Convertible
    86 Mustang LX

Sorry to 'not', have any input to your question, but to answer the op... My factory AM radio works, but the single center dash speaker is toast!
    '78 Fairmont with 4 doors and 8 cylinders.
    '92 LX convertible with 2 doors and 4 cylinders.

I do in my 86...keep it on the oldies stations as well...LOL

Later...Dave
    1986 Notch, Dual Cat Exhaust, Modified 94 GT Tail Pipes, FMS "B" Springs, KYB Struts & Shocks, 1.3 " Front Sway, 94 GT Rear Sway, Russell SS Front Brake Lines, 16 X 7.5 TSW Stealth Wheels, KUHMO 245/50's, MM 1/4" Front and Baer 1/2" Rear Wheel Spacers, MM G-Load Brace, 85 GT "Halo" Seats, SVO Style Steering Wheel, Flex-A-Lite Electric Fan, MSD Coil, 180 T-Stat

2007 V8 Sport Trac, 292 HP, Mostly Stock, K&N

2012 Mustang, 305 HP, K&N, Modified Exhaust Tips, 18" 5.0 Wheels

I have the stock AM/FM Cassette in my 79 coupe. The back light and FM works great, but AM and cassette were DOA. I really need to pull that thing out and get it repaired so I can use my tape adapter and iPod in the car.
    1979 Mustang Ghia Coupe, 302 swapped
    1982 Mercury LN7
    1986 Ford EXP, custom turbo car
    1926 Ford Model T, Bone stock and mostly original.
    1982 Kawasaki KZ440 LTD Belt Drive

The Mustang came to me with the radio removed.
    The Capri had the premium radio, which was working last time I turned it on SEVENTEEN YEARS AGO.
    1983 Mexican Mustang 5.0/4-spd
    1982 Capri RS 5.0 H.O.

Still have the stock radio in my GT, SVO & Cobra. All working fine.

Last edited by escogt; 03-26-2012 at 03:56 PM.
    '85GT Bright Atlantic Blue
    '92LX Bimini Blue-sold
    '93 COBRA Teal Metallic-sold
    '86SVO Oxford White-sold
    '86GT 'Vert True Blue-sold
    '81'GT' Medium Red-sold

Quote Originally Posted by who-nxt View Post
    Sorry to 'not', have any input to your question, but to answer the op... My factory AM radio works, but the single center dash speaker is toast!
    The OP is in pink, meaning banned, not sure you realize.

Official FOX-A-QUE Threads
    : 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009

Still have the stock radio in my 86

Still have the stock one in my 86 and have the one I took out of my 85 I use to have
    Robert
    86 GT vert
    85 GT

i had my stock 86 radio till last year. i had very intention of keeping it after it was swapped out, but i tried doing the swap without removing the dash, so when i tried to get it off that thin metal assembly, i slipped and shoved my screw driver into the face of it.

I have an aftermarket in the 85 for now, but it came with the orginal premium LED radio (same as the one in Esco's SVO pic above). The LED lights are out, so it took some time to figure out which station I was on. I talked to a couple of radio repair folks that said a certain part was required for the repair, and it was no longer available.

Anyone know where these radios with this problem can be repaired?
    67 Cougar
    85 Jalepeno Red GT
    85 Bright Red RS
    88 Smoke Grey GT Hatch
    88 Bright Regata Blue GT Hatch
    89 Bright Regata Blue GT Vert

Quote Originally Posted by GTJerry View Post
    I have an aftermarket in the 85 for now, but it came with the orginal premium LED radio (same as the one in Esco's SVO pic above). The LED lights are out, so it took some time to figure out which station I was on. I talked to a couple of radio repair folks that said a certain part was required for the repair, and it was no longer available.

Anyone know where these radios with this problem can be repaired?
    I had mine fixed as it was in the same shape as you describe. The LED lights have a bad converter supply transformer that is hard to find nowadays. I found two guys that had some when I did mine a year and a half to two years ago. One guy was in Oregon...he actually had a spare stereo unit also...and a local guy that had a couple of the transformers. He took mine apart, put the new transducer in, put new belts on the cassette player, and cleaned it up. It has been working great since then...I have a cassette that I use which has a wire lead off it to hook into an ipod and it is way clearer and much stronger sounding.
    Last edited by bwguardian; 11-24-2012 at 05:41 PM.
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

Quote Originally Posted by jaidedeye View Post
    my 82 GT has the original AM/FM radio in it and it works!! everything on it operates and it looks new...how many others still have the stock radio installed and working?
    Mine works in my '86 with the premium sound electronic radio, though it needs to be disassembled, the board/controls cleaned up and probably some solder reflowed. I was probably going to replace any and all the discrete components, especially the DIPS and flat pack type of components if they are acquirable. If I can as well, I intend on replacing the potentiometers for things like volume because it makes horrible static every time I turn the knobs.

Definately a couple of trips to Radio Shack and some online searching for parts/datasheets is in my future.
    '86 Mustang GT T-Top, 5-lug Cobra brake swap done
    '96 Mustang Cobra 302rwhp 296rwtq, Sold and missed
    '11 Mustang GT/CS, Traded and will be missed
    '13 Taurus SHO, Performance Pack, hit and run, totalled
    '17 Fusion Sport, Livernois tune, Steeda CAI, Steeda Rear Swaybar, Big Mouth Ram Air, GFB+ valve, Steeda Catch can, TTR FMIC (Garrett Core)

Mine is still stock in my 86, but when switching between radio and cassette it sometimes doesn't keep the tape deck up so it needs a little persuading
    1986 Mustang GT T-top, 5 speed manual- Daily driver

Mine still works also .But when i hit a bump the fm goes off.It is am fm only.But everything works low fuel light works, clock works keeps perfect time.

Quote Originally Posted by bwguardian View Post
    I had mine fixed as it was in the same shape as you describe. The LED lights have a bad converter supply transformer that is hard to find nowadays. I found two guys that had some when I did mine a year and a half to two years ago. One guy was in Oregon...he actually had a spare stereo unit also...and a local guy that had a couple of the transformers. He took mine apart, put the new transducer in, put new belts on the cassette player, and cleaned it up. It has been working great since then...I have a cassette that I use which has a wire lead off it to hook into an ipod and it is way clearer and much stronger sounding.
    This is consistent with what I heard a couple years ago. The transformers are hard to find. Guess I better get lookin'!
    67 Cougar
    85 Jalepeno Red GT
    85 Bright Red RS
    88 Smoke Grey GT Hatch
    88 Bright Regata Blue GT Hatch
    89 Bright Regata Blue GT Vert

Still there from 83, with the amp and pull switch under the dash, sounds like poo !
    83 GT 5sp,97 Cobra wheels, 70 Block .30 over, F 303 cam, World Products heads race prepped by Merkel,Edelbrock RPM Manifold , 600 Edelbrock carb. MSD Billet Dist. and 6AL,9 inch rear with 389 and Detroit locker, Hurst Billet with Stock lever and Steeda bushings Yadda...yadda yadda.....

84 stock still works. The AMP adds "whine" to the speakers so I don't use that.
    1969 Corvette 496 Roadster, Gas Guzzler
    2011 Mazda 2, Gas Saver

my 87 still has the original radio and equalizer. works well but the reception is horrible on some stations.

i really want to keep the car original because its so unmolested but the thing drives me nuts at times.. not sure what the heck to do..

guess i should just get the tape thing that allows me to play pandora over the radio through my phone.

Quote Originally Posted by psyco6string View Post
    Still there from 83, with the amp and pull switch under the dash, sounds like poo !
    I've got the same in my 84 RS. Works like it was supposed to I guess. Actually doesn't sound too terrible with a cassette adapter and my ipod hooked up. But I'm sure I'll change it eventually.
    86 Notch under construction

2011 4Runner Trail edition
    2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast