Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    FEP Senior Member silver85horse's Avatar

From what Zap's 85 GT has shown us here, the SEM Graphite makes the interior look the freshest and it's a colour that I think is a close enough match to look good (if that makes sense to everyone??). I think an entire interior would look right done in that shade.

The sem is not even close, notice how much darker the factory piece is compared to the others. The sem is closer to the color of the gauge trim panel than the factory charcoal. If you paint with the sem and have the charcoal dash pad it will clash and show you just how far off it really is (ask me how I know) I will get some pics soon of the stuff I have painted and you can see that the PPG #33602 is an EXACT match to the original color.
    Last edited by MAX86GT; 07-13-2010 at 06:12 AM.
    1986 Mustang GT

1987 Saleen Mustang #008

Here are a few quick pics I took to show how the paint matches.

here is the dash sprayed with SEM dark graphite and a new charcoal dash pad. as you can see the color is not even close.

here is a pic of the armrest that has been sprayed with the PPG #33602 charcoal. Only the top was painted and you can't tell where the paint ends and the factory color begins.

Here is the armrest with the new charcoal dash pad. They match perfectly, so good when you hold them together you can't tell any difference.

These are not the best pics but you can see that these match perfectly to the OE color.
    1986 Mustang GT

1987 Saleen Mustang #008

Wow, now that is a difference. Is that a NOS dash pad, or repo'd? Whatever the case, they don't match at all.

Is that PPG # a custom mix or is it sold right from the factory? Does the colour have a name?

Quote Originally Posted by silver85horse View Post
    Wow, now that is a difference. Is that a NOS dash pad, or repo'd? Whatever the case, they don't match at all.

Is that PPG # a custom mix or is it sold right from the factory? Does the colour have a name?
    Reproduction dash pad.

That is the OE charcoal color in low gloss dye.

The name is charcoal.

It was mixed at a local PPG paint supplier. All you need to do is find a PPG dealer in your area and tell them you need a pint, quart or whatever amount you need of #33602. They will ask if you want DBI or dye. DBI is basically a paint that doesn't need clear and would only really be useful on hard plastic pieces. Dye will work on plastic or vinyl parts and I think is more durable than the paint but is also a little more expensive. You will need an air source and a small detail gun. If you have a harbor freight close by you can pick one up for $20-$30 or maybe borrow one from a friend that paints. If all else fails you can PM me and I can have you some mixed up and put in spray cans and shipped to you. Keep in mind it is $98 for a quart, about $1.50-$2.00 ea to have it put in a spray can then shipping. In a normal 12oz spray can there is 4oz of material and 8oz of propellant so out of a quart you will have 8 cans of paint/dye.
    1986 Mustang GT

1987 Saleen Mustang #008

Quote Originally Posted by MAX86GT View Post
    Reproduction dash pad.

That is the OE charcoal color in low gloss dye.

The name is charcoal.

It was mixed at a local PPG paint supplier. All you need to do is find a PPG dealer in your area and tell them you need a pint, quart or whatever amount you need of #33602.
    Very helpful of you. Fantastic information. I'm sure there is a PPG dealer in close vicinity. Do you have any pictures on a larger scale of the interior. Like of the whole front seat area or anything?

Very helpful of you. Fantastic information. I'm sure there is a PPG dealer in close vicinity. Do you have any pictures on a larger scale of the interior. Like of the whole front seat area or anything?
    I am working on the interior of the car I just bought so I don't have any pics yet. I should have it finished and put back together this weekend and I will have pics then.
    1986 Mustang GT

1987 Saleen Mustang #008

From what Zap's 85 GT has shown us here, the SEM Graphite makes the interior look the freshest and it's a colour that I think is a close enough match to look good (if that makes sense to everyone??). I think an entire interior would look right done in that shade.
    I used it too. Looks just fine to me.
    '85GT Bright Atlantic Blue
    '92LX Bimini Blue-sold
    '93 COBRA Teal Metallic-sold
    '86SVO Oxford White-sold
    '86GT 'Vert True Blue-sold
    '81'GT' Medium Red-sold

Neither here nor there

Quote Originally Posted by escogt View Post
    I used it too. Looks just fine to me.
    When doing a whole interior it does work just fine as I did it with a prior capri.
    BUT if your looking to do a few things and not all, this isn't the best choice as you can tell Stock Parts from SEM Dyed.

Quote Originally Posted by Capriman86 View Post
    When doing a whole interior it does work just fine as I did it with a prior capri.
    BUT if your looking to do a few things and not all, this isn't the best choice as you can tell Stock Parts from SEM Dyed.
    Yes, this is true.
    '85GT Bright Atlantic Blue
    '92LX Bimini Blue-sold
    '93 COBRA Teal Metallic-sold
    '86SVO Oxford White-sold
    '86GT 'Vert True Blue-sold
    '81'GT' Medium Red-sold

WOW. Those pictures sell me. What a service you done for us. Thanks MAX86GT.
    1986 GT T-Top ~80,000 Original Miles
    1995 Bronco 302

i am a little confused about the outside color.

Here are a couple of pics I took today after getting the interior back in the car. Still not finished but you can see the color in the car.

1986 Mustang GT

1987 Saleen Mustang #008

This is what was given to me from a guy who use to restore mustangs, I haven't used it yet but now I am curious as to how it will come out!!
    Last edited by kingstang; 02-18-2011 at 02:42 PM.

#33714 is the semi gloss version of charcoal. Probably a little shinier than OE but definitely the correct color.
    Last edited by MAX86GT; 07-19-2010 at 11:08 PM.
    1986 Mustang GT

1987 Saleen Mustang #008

Hey I stumbled across this when trying to match my charcoal interior from my 85 GT. I have tried the LMR SVO Gray and its close but is a little darker and slightly blue. I tried to find somewhere that I can get the #33602 mixed but not having much luck up here in Canada finding a paint supplier that mixes interior dye. I'm going to order some 17083 Sem Classic-coat and 15303 Sem Color-coat to see how close they are to my interior. I am replacing the back panels but didn't really want to re-dye the entire interior. I did notice that #33602 seems darker than my interior now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12