Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    FEP Senior Member silver85horse's Avatar

Default Another "Charcoal" paint question

Hi there guys,

I know you've probably heard this many a time before, but here it goes . I know the paint used for exterior trim on an '85 Mustang GT is SEM 39153 Charcoal, but which product is used for the interior? Or is there not such a good match due to the two-tone interior (light gray, and dark gray)? I'm assuming the darker gray in the interior is Charcoal as well?

Thanks in advance,

Reed

Quote Originally Posted by silver85horse View Post
    Hi there guys,

I know you've probably heard this many a time before, but here it goes . I know the paint used for exterior trim on an '85 Mustang GT is SEM 39153 Charcoal, but which product is used for the interior? Or is there not such a good match due to the two-tone interior (light gray, and dark gray)? I'm assuming the darker gray in the interior is Charcoal as well?

Thanks in advance,

Reed
    I just changed the color of my back seat interior panels from white to gray on my 86 GT convertible. I used Duplicolor vinyl paint "charcoal". It is a dark gray and it came out pretty nice. I did not have any stock gray interior panels to compare it to though. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by 86V8NOTCH; 11-24-2010 at 01:10 PM.

For the interior I use SEM Graphite 15303.
    '85GT Bright Atlantic Blue
    '92LX Bimini Blue-sold
    '93 COBRA Teal Metallic-sold
    '86SVO Oxford White-sold
    '86GT 'Vert True Blue-sold
    '81'GT' Medium Red-sold

I always have to say this...SEM Graphite is a shade too green. It works but it is noticeably off.

I hear people use the Marhyde Bumper cover paint on the interior. It's supposed to be a very close match.

-Mike

Neither here nor there

I have Marhyde and plan to use it on my capri. I will report back in the next couple weeks. Way to hot, WAY to humid.

Quote Originally Posted by negusm View Post
    I always have to say this...SEM Graphite is a shade too green. It works but it is noticeably off.

I hear people use the Marhyde Bumper cover paint on the interior. It's supposed to be a very close match.

-Mike
    Mike,

I have a sem mixing sytem now. If you would like to come over and help me maybe we can come up with a great formula for the charcoal. I have a formula I am using know that I am very happy with(for interior).

Thanks, Matt

Marhyde, eh? Okay I'll keep an eye out for the stuff. I may try the SEM Graphite on some test pieces.

Good to hear you're working on a mix for us, Matt. Much appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by foxmustangrestoration View Post
    Mike,

I have a sem mixing sytem now. If you would like to come over and help me maybe we can come up with a great formula for the charcoal. I have a formula I am using know that I am very happy with(for interior).

Thanks, Matt
    NICE!

I might be able to next weekend....not this weekend.

I am currently in North Plymouth getting ready to deliver a 1931 Fire Truck to Amhurst, NH.

-Mike

BTW, this is awesome that FMR is going to work this out for us, because we need this so much. Metro Finishes really left us in the lurch.

I have some cans of the original Metro Finishes Charcoal paint we could compare to. I have to get back to NC and I'll see if I can get over there.

-Mike

Neither here nor there

Mar-hyde 3821 Grey Satin is the right sheen, but too dark. Tried it today.

I had some Duplicolor Charcoal HVP-111 and the color isn't bad but is very dull, almost a flat finish.

I had some VHT SP-954 Charcoal and it isn't the right shade either.

I am just having my local supplier mix me up some custom SEM, he will get me a quart ready to shoot in my gun. Tired of messing with all these damn cans...LOL

Capriman, get the code from that special mix.

-Mike

Neither here nor there

I will....I have to find a good piece to give him to match.
    Maybe even the back side of a panel to ensure there is no fade.

Neither here nor there

Let me try to explain what I have below.

From left, down to the bottom and across is Mar-hyde.
    Smack dab in the middle is some Duplicolor.
    Far right is the original material.

Another View.

Far right is Mar-hyde.
    Bottom Left is some Duplicolor.
    Top left is the original material.

Capriman. Do this test with the back of the panels. The fronts will be faded.

The paint that when dry, you can't figure out where the original material starts or ends, is the winner.

The MEtro Finishes paint did that. I sprayed the back of a kick panel and I could NOT tell where it begin or ended.

-Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Capriman86 View Post
    Let me try to explain what I have below.

From left, down to the bottom and across is Mar-hyde.
    Smack dab in the middle is some Duplicolor.
    Far right is the original material.

Another View.

Far right is Mar-hyde.
    Bottom Left is some Duplicolor.
    Top left is the original material.

Cool pics, Capriman.

Looks like Marhyde is a slightly better match than Duplicolor, but it's still not perfect. Hopefully SEM can whip you up something real nice

I am dying the plastic in my car and I just had a quart mixed up. the Dupont# is D8306J and the color code is 33D(may be 33P, label has some paint on it). Paint is a perfect match and they can mix it with 3 different resins to change the level of gloss. The medium gloss is 305S vinyl resin and that is a dead on factory match. Be prepared to pay for it when you go, one quart was $105 total, but a quart will do all the panels including the dash and should have just a little left over. I used a small detail gun with a 1.0 tip and it turned out great.
    Last edited by MAX86GT; 07-09-2010 at 09:51 PM.
    1986 Mustang GT

1987 Saleen Mustang #008

Neither here nor there

I will dig out my rear quarter plastics to futz with this weekend if the weather holds out, that has a better surface area to paint on the back.

I wanted to paint the back of this but it has that insulation crap on the back ,so this was the best I could for now.

I think the Mar-hyde is the closest of what I have at home.

But I guess I will still get the SEM, it will cost me $70 for a quart of it but will be ready to spray right out of the can, and I have a lot of stuff I want to do.

Quote Originally Posted by MAX86GT View Post
    I am dying the plastic in my car and I just had a quart mixed up. the Dupont# is D8306J and the color code is 33D(may be 33P, label has some paint on it). Paint is a perfect match and they can mix it with 3 different resins to change the level of gloss. The medium gloss is 305S vinyl resin and that is a dead on factory match. Be prepared to pay for it when you go, one quart was $105 total, but a quart will do all the panels including the dash and should have just a little left over. I used a small detail gun with a 1.0 tip and it turned out great.
    That's great info. Thanks.

i took my glove box in today and got some sem mixed up from that, I will be sprying tomorrow and I can tell you how well it looks.
    85 rs capri (gone)(tbi car)
    86 gt. (cat pee car is gone)
    85 capri rs
    84 coupri,cfi,aod sold
    61 thunderbird

non ford
    70 GMC
    76 MGB

Neither here nor there

Find out what paint they are using and a code if you can as well.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Capriman86 View Post
    Find out what paint they are using and a code if you can as well.
    Thanks!
    Take the dupont # I posted and see if they can cross it over to an SEM code.
    1986 Mustang GT

1987 Saleen Mustang #008

Just some FYI the PPG number is 33602. This can be mixed in DBI, which is paint that you don't clear, or dye. The DBI can be put in cans which is what you are buying when you get the stuff from late model resto and places like that. The dye is like what the factory used and should be more durable than the paint but is slightly higher in cost.
    1986 Mustang GT

1987 Saleen Mustang #008

Guys, Please keep this thread going until someone gets a really good match. I am not happy with the rattle can results I have gotten so far. I don't want to put my interior back together until I get it right and will pay more if I can get the right color. Thanks.
    1986 GT T-Top ~80,000 Original Miles
    1995 Bronco 302

These are perfect matches I have posted. I will get some pics up soon.
    1986 Mustang GT

1987 Saleen Mustang #008

On the left is a part that I painted with the SEM graphite interior trim paint about a year ago.

The middle is a new part from FMR. Almost identical to the SEM color.

On the right is my beat up but original part from my GT. The rest of my GT's interior is 95% original (including the dash pad) and has very little sun fading.

Other parts I've had to restore are very much like my original piece through and through. I know my parts have not faded over time, its just most of the current interpretation of the graphite color is incorrect.

Last edited by Zap's 85 GT; 07-12-2010 at 11:36 PM.
    Black 1985 GT: 408w, in the 6's in the 1/8 mile
    Bimini Blue 1988 LX 5.0 Coupe 5-speed, Hellion turbo, zero options
    Grabber Yellow 1973 Mustang Mach 1: 351c, toploader
    Black 2012 5.0 GT, 6-speed, Brembo brakes, 3.73's
    Wimbledon White 1966 F-100 Shortbed Styleside, 390, Tremec 3550, FiTech EFI

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast