Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thanks again!

fordguy, I didn't know that the 79 handles were at the bottom...where, and how did they clear the window cranks? Hmm, interesting. Anyhow, I'll figure it out when I get the power windows in.

And the dash, I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but it actually "fits" the car, and looks good in there. People that aren't familiar with Fox bodies usually don't even notice the difference, which I find strange....anyhow, I like it! And I love the AC haha
    78 Fairmont, the Montstr. 4.6 DOHC Cobra everything!
    92 F250 Diesel 4x4 ex cab, 237k and never been stuck!
    70 Chevelle Malibu 400 (clone)
    Aberdeen, SD

I was thinking of doing a 5.4 Lightning swap with a stick trans out of a Cobra to my 78 Fairmont Wagon. Thats a lot of work you did and a great job from the looks of it. Remember, as long as your happy with it thats all that matters.
    79 Mustang COBRA 302/C4 (sold)
    82 Zephyr Z7 200 I6/C5 (daily driver work car)
    78 Fairmont Wagon 5.0/5spd (possibly selling it)
    80 Mustang coupe (sold)
    84 Mustang coupe 5.0/5spd (gave to my son)
    85 Mustang GT 5.0/auto "Wifes"
    87 Mustang Coupe 5.0/C4 (sold)
    88 Mustang Coupe 5.0/5spd (sold)
    90 Mustang Hatch 2.3/5spd (traded)
    Load it like a boxcar........drive it like a dragcar!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by WHTLTHR79RS View Post

THat MAF support bracket is really simple and really cool!
    1981 T-top coupe - FEP #28
    1990 GT - H/C/I
    2003 GT daily driver - bolt-ons 252hp/292tq rw

Yeah it is! I was thinking about something along those lines, but I would've made it far more complicated for no good reason lol.

Just wanted to add....my car is a BLAST to drive!!! 6,800 RPM these engines sing soooo nice, I can't help but goose it when there's people around watching it haha. First is worthless, I don't have the quad shocks on yet because I have to modify the brackets to clear the wheels, and the 245's try but they can't hook up, so it wheel hops pretty bad. Second is fun, but the 3:27 rear gears mean that by the time the engine is pulling hard, I'm already in ticket zone....I left it in third the other day on the way out of town, and went from 20mph to....higher than the speed limit in some counties....and I didn't redline it lol. I think it needs 4:10s, or so I've heard from the Cobra guys. It's tough to keep it off of the rev limiter in 1st though that's for sure!! Plus the 17mpg I've been getting around town is pretty cool... Did I mention the icy cold A/C and the cruise? I love it!!
    Aberdeen, SD

If you put 4.10 gears in the car first and second gears would be worthless. 2.73 or 3.08 would be a better direction, possibly better mileage too.

Jess
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.
    1990 Mustang, 545 BBF, C-4 with brake, ladder bars.
    1983 Mustang, 1984 SVO Mustang
    1984 Mustang convertible, v6 swapped to 351
    1986 Mustang GT, 1989 Mustang GT convertible
    1992 Mustang coupe, 4 swapped to 302

The 3:27's are overly high gears for this engine already. I may compromise and go 3:73s, but these are very high RPM engines. I had a 3:08 rear with my old 351w and loved it, the torque would pull the car fine. These DOHC engines don't make peak torque until 4,200, and peak HP is at 5,200 (iirc) so it's a different driving game. The car is quick, but not a missile. It's lots of fun at 5,000 and up range, ranges where I was scared to take my 351w for more than a brief bit.

I know I'll have less traction in 2nd as well, but I'm not going to drag race this much, the track is 3 hours away. And if I do, I could launch in 2nd with street tires and my 3:27s and still spin, so I'll need drag radials unless I want to run a bunch of 15's like I did with my Chevelle 2 years ago.

As far as the mileage thing, essentially, think of this engine as a V8 Honda (I had lots of Hondas too lol) they don't like to lug. Step on it under 2,000, and you kinda wait for it to spin up, then it comes alive at 4,000, and you need to be grabbing 2nd QUICK, or you'll hit the limiter. I tried every trick in the book with the 11 Hondas I had to get even better mileage, and I found that they're happiest, where they're happiest. Making good, efficient power. My last CRX had a B16, which is a 8,200rpm, 160hp DOHC 1.6l with a 4:63 final drive, and I would get 24mpg in town, and 35mpg on the interstate, and I drove the snot out of that little engine. It was right around 3,800 RPM on the highway. I drove it 55 once, which put the RPM around 3,000 (again, if I remember correctly, it's been a few years!) and got about 30mpg, the engine wasn't efficient.

The other reason I want lower gears, is the car is no fun to shift.
    1st-45mph
    2nd-77mph
    3rd-115mph
    4th-152mph
    5th- ~~~

See? You run it through first and second and you're in ticket territory. No fun. Honda's are a blast to drive around town, because they are geared so short. Do they spin more? Yup, but it's fun ripping through the gears! Besides, I want 2nd gear rubber just by flooring it, it scratches right now, but I want burnouts lol. I've got my Chevelle for high gears and low end torque, I love taking this engine up where it sings, ask any guy with a Mach 1, Cobra, or a Lincoln Mark Viii, they'll tell you the same thing. Have a good one! Justin

PS--17.6mpg in town avg so far, haven't driven it out of town yet, but my parents 97 Roush Cobra gets 27mpg+ unless you're running the crap out of it.
    Aberdeen, SD

Most folks I know with the DOHC 4.6 run 4.10's if it's going to be a highway car, or 4.30's for drag strip fun. A friend of mine is down in the 11's with a basically stock Mach 1: cold air kit, K&N, 4.30's, short shifter, and drag radials.

Quote Originally Posted by montstr View Post

fordguy, I didn't know that the 79 handles were at the bottom...where, and how did they clear the window cranks? Hmm, interesting. Anyhow, I'll figure it out when I get the power windows in.
    check out the pics in this thread, good shot of the 79 doors
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=99398
    '66 mustang coupe- 89 302ho T-5Z 3.80's

Quote Originally Posted by superhighoutput View Post
    well if they start sending me checks again,FREE DASH PADS FOR EVERYONE!!!!!

Cool, thanks Fordguy! I think I'll just wait and see where the door panels will allow me to put them, I'm hoping slightly closer, about the same height though. I'm trying to free up time to work on this, the big local car show is coming up soon, and my car is no where near ready! I'm also needing to get my autocross planned, and I haven't made the first phone call about it yet! I have a laundry list of stuff to do on it, and the only notable item crossed off of the list is getting the AC charged! Soon, I hope! Back to work.
    Aberdeen, SD

wanna sell the 97 cobras?
    87 GT-sold
    86 GT- current project
    85 GT-totaled

Sorry, those aren't mine, the 97 Cobra's came off of my Parent's 97 Roush Cobra, I just wanted to see what It looked like. My Cobra had 98 Cobras, which I think are great wheels, but 2 were bent.
    Aberdeen, SD

Well, finally got a semi-decent engine shot! I'm clearing my schedule so I can actually wax my car tomorrow like it deserves! There's still a LOT to do under the hood, I plan on fabbing up all new brackets for all the cooling and power steering stuff, something custom but simple that you don't "notice" as being a custom bracket.

Aberdeen, SD

That looks great! It kind of makes me want to put the 3V engine I got in my car. Maybe next year.

FEP Senior Member quarterstang86's Avatar

Can you post a picture of how you routed the ECM harness into the cabin? Curious.
    - Richard

Looks good with the exception of the coolant pipe.

A COP conversion would really clean it up as well.
    1990 GT - H/C/I

Thanks guys! The wiring into the cabin is in the same place as the stock Cobra wiring, from inside the pass. fender and the ECU is mounted down in the pass. side kick panel. It's as 1998 as I could make it!

The coolant pipe is unavailable from Ford, mine was bent and leaking badly when I got it. I was at a loss as to what to do when I got the brilliant idea to whack it a couple times with a big rubber mallet. Good as new! haha lined up perfectly, but the battery acid ate the paint off a lot of stuff under the hood in the accident. I just wanted the car to move, there's a thousand things I'd like to do under the hood, but I'm not going to rip it apart right now while I'm driving it. Soon though!
    Aberdeen, SD

The 93-98 mark 8's should be the same pipe and are a dime a dozen. I believe I have one laying around. PM if interested.
    1990 GT - H/C/I

i am very impressed with your build and as i am pondering what sort of engine combo to put into my 84ltd 2 door wagon this will help

Ooooh finally getting shiny again!

I shoulda listened to my buddy and clay barred it months ago!! this is a slick system, WAYYYY faster than rubbing compound and hours of elbow grease!
    Aberdeen, SD

Oh yeah, the clay bar is the magic trick. It gets allot of stuff off your paint very easily.

Hmmmm. I thought the clay bar sucked. 7" polisher with wool pad and rubbing compound worked great for me in the past.
    1990 GT - H/C/I

The only thing I don't like about using my buffer is getting buffing compound out of every nook and cranny after you're done! OF course anything that takes the surface down will get rid of contaminates, but this really does work well! I read online that different bars and systems are better than others, but I really like Meguiars products overall!
    Aberdeen, SD

Little update, should have Mach 1 springs here next week, and THEN I'll finally be able to not rub my tires all the time, have just a touch firmer ride, and get it aligned properly so I can take it to the autocross I"m putting on next weekend!! I'm really looking forward to it, I'll be sure to post videos if I'm able to get the car done in time!

Mach 1 springs are a little stiffer than the "B" springs I put in. I had trimmed the stock Cobra springs, and it was too much, plus the back was much too soft. So I put in the "B" springs thinking that would be just right, along with replacing the poly bushings with new rubber. Well, the car rides great, but it's still too low, I think all the extra weight I put in with the dash, A/C etc made the difference. I LOVE the way the car LOOKS, hate the way it drives right now. Tires rub at every corner that's not perfectly level.
    Obviously, a Fairmont was not designed for 245-17s, and I thought about just getting smaller tires, but I want the balance of the 245's all the way around, I don't want understeer. So, did some more research, the Mach 1 or Bullitt springs are very similar, but 600# linear vs the 450# progressive like the "B" springs are. They lower a Mustang .75" vs the 1.5" of the "B"s, and I could handle the car being a little stiffer, but I don't want a battle wagon. Hopefully these Mach 1 springs will be perfect for me!

Anybody need a set of new "B" springs with about 200 miles on them? PM me. Thanks! Justin
    Aberdeen, SD

AWSOME Build ! I bet It runs like a raped ape.

The best compound for buffing bar none . . is Surefinish. You really have to try it to understand but many of the problems associated with cutting and buffing are eliminated when using Surefinish. It is only available online . . I do not have an interest in it . . but it is great and EVERYONE i have had use it feel the same way.
    Pete's Ponies
    Mustang RUSToration & Performance

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast