Close

FEP Member

Default can you put a v8 into a stock 4 cylinder mustang?

Just wondering if I can put a 351w rite into a 4 cylinder 87 mustang.

Like does it have the rite rear end and suspension etc?

Yup, people have been doing it for quite some time. Suspension will "work", but an 8.8 swap would be advised.
    No matter where you go, there you are

You do not want 10" front disc brakes, four cylinder springs, and a 7.5" rear with any V8.

Make it stop. Make it handle. THEN make it go.

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    You do not want 10" front disc brakes, four cylinder springs, and a 7.5" rear with any V8.

those would be almost exactly the specs for any 79-85 V8 mustang.

not saying you aren't right, but....
    1999 SE sedan - 5-speed, Amazon green with med. prairie tan interior. needs waxed.

1998 ZX2 - silver with gray interior. needs cleaned.

Chicago, Illinois. home to the world's largest collection of potholes

he wants a v8, let him have a v8. this has been done since the 50s and 60s, stuffing powerful engines in econo cars. yeah it can be scary, but if many hotrodders have done it already, why not him?

and prior to 1986 anyway, 10" brakes and 7.5 rear is all you got to begin with.

sure i'd reccomend the upgrades, moreso the 8.8 rear than the brakes, but its not a must-have unless he's going balls out with power.
    hello, my name is Epi and i'm addicted to four-eyes
    '86 Mustang GT convertible - restomod
    '86 Capri - DD hotrod
    '08 Ford Edge - Weekend hauler
    past:
    '86 Mustang GT hatch - sold for diapers
    '87 LTD - gone after 12 long years
    '90 Mustang LX - cancer
    '86 Thunderbird 3.8L
    '87 Mustang GT

Go over to Corral.net and they have a sticky for V8 swaps in the General section. Lots of good information whether you are going EFI or carbed.
    I'm an FEP Paid Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

1984 Capri Turbo RS - Alive after 7 years! Build Thread
    2018 Mustang GT - daily driver

This is not the 1950s or the 1960s, or for that matter, the 1980s anymore. Parts are available now, even used factory parts, that help a car handle better and stop better than what was available when these cars were built.

What does a used 11" fox V8 brake set-up cost these days? Or even SN95? Or an 8.8" rear? Less than a 351W swap for sure, considering such a swap is NOT just the engine itself.

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

FEP Senior Member OldsRocket442's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeownow View Post
    Just wondering if I can put a 351w rite into a 4 cylinder 87 mustang.

Like does it have the rite rear end and suspension etc?
    Simply answered, yes you can. The second part of your question, you really should do what is stated below. General rule of thumb is to make it stop first. Meaning...upgrade your brakes. The 7.5 will be ok for normal driving. Mine has held up for quite a while now. THat being said, I have an 8.8 in the garage waiting for me to have time for the swap.

Agree here 1000%. Although, out of necessity, I had to do it the opposite way.

So far, I can live with the 4cyl springs but there have been a couple times where my brakes have been a little scary. The first time I had a close call made me really pay attention. I'm WAY more cautious because of this......but, this is my daily driver so until funds permit the brake change, I'm stuck with what I got.

The 7.5 works for now. First chance I get, its gone. The 8.8 is in the garage.
    Richard

1986 Mustang LX v8 t5 conversion
    1986 Mustang LX 2.3 Auto - Acquired 2-27-13

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2549044

My other "4 eye" is a '67 Cutlass

This is not the 1950s or the 1960s, or for that matter, the 1980s anymore. Parts are available now, even used factory parts, that help a car handle better and stop better than what was available when these cars were built.

What does a used 11" fox V8 brake set-up cost these days? Or even SN95? Or an 8.8" rear? Less than a 351W swap for sure, considering such a swap is NOT just the engine itself.
    The parts are very easily available.

But 11" brakes do not stop better than 10" brakes. I don't know why everyone thinks that extra inch is just night and day. The 10" rotors do not dissipate heat as well and under heavy stop-go-stop situations. The calipers are the same as well as brake pads. The SN95 stuff is better because of the calipers and the fact you have a sealed hub and a rotor hat rather than replacing the hub every time you do brakes. SN95 calipers are much lighter as well.

The 8.8 rear really depends on how you use the car. I ran a 7.5 in the back of #71 for almost 2 years. It help up just fine with stockish HP. Just like a 4 cyl T5 can hold up to V8 torque, many guys are doing it.

How many years did Ford put standard T5s, 7.5" rears, and 10" brakes behind 5.0s? 1974-1985. Springs I'd definitely change, but some guys do run 4 cyl springs on drag cars. Sway bars would be good to change as well.
    85 SVO
    94 GT CMC#71
    65 Fastback

I'm doing a 351W swap in my 4-cyl Fairmont. The 351 is 2.xx inches wider than the 302, so there will be some clearance issues. The motor is a little taller also, so plan on a hood scoop. The headers are real expensive, and the oil pan is pricey too. The 302 is the cheaper and easier way to go, but I like the torque of the 351.
    either way, it will work.

And there it is. More torque than a 302. Torque breaks things, horsepower does not.

The '86 Mustang/Capri 5.0L had LESS horsepower than the '85 4V engine but MORE torque, and Ford saw fit to (finally) upgrade the rear and the clutch. And a year later, when torque went up again, the front rotors got bigger.

The 4cyl. springs should be fine unless you plan on carving corners. If your plan is for steet/strip use, 4 cyl springs will do the job. Of course, if you have the $$$ for a street/strip suspension uprade, do it.

Mine was basically a '79 four cylinder with a 351w when I bought it right down to the 9" front brakes. Since I was young and new to four eyes at the time so I didn't know any better but it was completely livable. Just don't drive like an a**hole or dumb teenager and you'll survive. Oh, and don't tailgate either...
    1979 Base Model Coupe- 351w, C4, 3.73s, the fun machine- Now getting a lot more well deserved mileage put on her!
    2007 Forest River Sunseeker 2200 Class C motorhome on an E-450 chassis. Oh yeah!
    2013 Subaru Crosstrek XV Premium- Marine Blue w/ 5-speed, awesome little car.

FEP Member

its all good I found a cheap one with a v8 already in it so cooleo

You got a lot of work on your hands.. it needs v8 sprengs, an 8.8, tranny,drive shaft. it woul be nice to get a v8 car and swap all the stuff.......
    2004 gmc rst.
    1996 gt for my DD
    1986 notchback in the works... doing a 4.6 5speed swap..

Will