Close

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Default 1985 Capri RS - Out of mothballs - Photos.

Hello everyone. Great forum.

Back in ‘85 I factory ordered this (1985) Mercury Capri RS and took delivery in March of the same year. It is white with charcoal trim and has sunroof, radio delete, PW delete and cruise control options.

I drove it only on sunny summer days (weekends mostly) up until it was mothballed in Sept ‘88. We accumulated 20,000 Miles on the clock in those four summers. It has been stored in a heated garage and never driven or started since 88. It is bone stock and in mostly original condition (including original tires)….,well other than some required paint work in 85 and a vintage 1985 Blaupunkt stereo and power antenna (no harm with radio delete option).

I live in Coquitllam, British Columbia, Canada (12 miles east of Vancouver).

Here in BC when an original vehicle unmodified (in any way) reaches age 25 and is in "exceptional condition" the owner may apply for collector license plates for it, the plates allow the owner to purchase quite inexpensive government insurance.

Over the next few weeks I'll be compiling the necessary information and photos to submit to the insurance corporation for the plates. Please wish me luck, it is not a slam dunk.

Quite frankly It is absolutely killing me holding back the urges to "make it better" by tearing it apart and installing all of the standard fare modern conversions. Is it fair that all I can do is dust it off and look at it? AAARRG! Who was the learned scholar that said "they are only original once"? I can't get the phrase out of my head!

Not sure how long I can hold off the five lug conversion and the flow masters.

TWiCS

Edit: Collector plate photo added (last photo). The plate number is altered for obvious reasons.

These photos are not the shots I will submit to the MV. The MV requires all the original badges in place and stock ride height. I'm going to work on that tomorrow and plan to submit the application on Monday

Have you ever seen cruise control buttons on a Ford that were not on the steering wheel? This 85 has the buttons on the signal stalk. Yes it was a Ford option. Look closely and you can just see the on/off rocker through the left side of the wheel.

I think it is very rare.

Note the cruise control buttons on the signal stalk.

This shot taken a month after OP, Proper Air cleaner cover installed and minor detailing completed underhood

At last! My collector plates arrive! After 25 years of waiting to qualify it was a 7 week wait for the plates.......Hmmmm.......Now what do we do?

Two choices left for the future. Mod it? Or sell it?

I think we will go with the former.

TWiCS
    Last edited by TWiCS; 12-03-2010 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Added Collector plates after seven week wait

photo please
    Current Cars:
    83 GT Turbo All org w/ org paint 127k miles
    84 GT350 5.0 Period correct changes 5spd T Top 44k org miles
    83 LTD Wagon I6 65k miles
    2010 Mercury Milan AWD
    2019 Flex SEL

Past Cars: 79 Pace Car 5.0 Auto, 80 I6 Coupe, 79 I6 Coupe, 81 4cyl Coupe, 92GT, 83 Capri RS Turbo, 82GT TTop, 83 GT 5.0, 84 GT350 5.0 Auto, 86 ASC Capri coupe #1, 78 5.0 Granada Coupe, 03 MACH 1 2013 Flex Limited

Neither here nor there

Welcome and you are asking the wrong group if they love photos.

Photos are required! Please please post some!

Quote Originally Posted by Capriman86 View Post
    Welcome and you are asking the wrong group if they love photos.

Photos are required! Please please post some!
    what capriman said. We love photos here. Welcome aboard! Great group of people here.

Official FOX-A-QUE Threads
    : 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009

Is this a joke? YES!!!!! PICS!!!!
    '85GT Bright Atlantic Blue
    '92LX Bimini Blue-sold
    '93 COBRA Teal Metallic-sold
    '86SVO Oxford White-sold
    '86GT 'Vert True Blue-sold
    '81'GT' Medium Red-sold

I can't wait to see pictures!
    Chris Lott
    '81 Cobra T-Top - Black
    '85 Dominator GT - Black, 24k miles
    '85 Predator GT302R #150R - Light Regatta Blue
    '85 Predator GT302 Convertible #119 - White w/blue stripes For Sale
    '86 Texas DPS Mustang (Unit # unknown) - undergoing resto

welcome aboard, and post some pics please.

1982 Mustang GT in progress

Welcome,cool story and yes let's see them pics.

the east coast welcomes you
    here's to the freakin' weekend,I'll drink to that

Welcome to the site!

Don't forget to load some pics!

Robert
    1984 RS 347 Capri, To many car parts to list, check out my car build page here for the story on my car and a full parts list/setup!:

My RS in Action

Um, yes, photos please.
    Robert

1986 ascMcLaren SC 5.0 -red
    1985 Capri GS (w/ 5.0) - red
    1985 Capri 5.0L - black
    1984 ascMcLaren SC 5.0 - white
    1984 Capri GS (w/ 5.0) - white
    1983 Capri RS Crimson Cat - red
    1982 Capri RS Black Magic - white
    1982 Cougar wagon
    1982 Mustang GT - red

Welcome! Great story and history of your car. Rare story now-a-days.
    Have
    1982 Mustang GT 2nd owner
    1999 Dodge Viper GTS Canadian model 2nd owner

Had
    1966 GT 350
    1967 GT 500
    1980 Fairmont Futura Turbo 2nd ownerhttp://www.cardomain.com/ride/3818362

Hey, I think I'm going to like it here! Whole buncha guys (and Gals?) that seem every bit as car crazy as me! Whodathunkit?!

I'll be taking some pics this weekend for the plates so I'll post em when done.

Neither here nor there

This weekend? That's like 4 days away?!?!?!?!?
    This just isn't going to work.

I really have a concern about starting this thing for the first time after 22 years of dry storage. I don't think I should just put a battery in it and turn the key, but I don't really have any idea where to start. Mechanically I have some experience rebuilding engines and transmissions, brakes etc but waking a car from the dead no not a bit.

I drained the carb before I stored it but not the gas tank or the rad. There is a couple of gallons gas in it still (I could hear it slosh about when I rock the car).

Is there a thread here that deals with long term storage startup? I really need some help with this.

Thanks

1985CapriGS

Well first I'd say "Post Some Pics". Second if it's the original fuel, I wouldn't start it until draining the tank. I'd say with near 100% certainty that fuel is shot. Dont' get it into the carb. I'd recommend dropping the tank, draining it, rinsing it out, and cleaning out the fuel lines. New fuel will do wonders. As for the engine, change the oil first and then turn the engine over by hand a few revolutions to get some oil into the dried out areas of the engine. After cranking by hand, then crank it with the starter but don't let it start by disconnecting the coil wire. After cranking some, then prime the carb and give it a shot. For te best lubriation, if you can remove the distributor and have a oil pump rod for priming, use a drill with the priming rod and spin the oil pump some to get oil into all the lifters and oil galleys.

Good luck and welcome fellow White Capri Owner !!! You can click on my photo albums to see the one I recently bought that I wil be restoring some once I'm back from Iraq this winter.

I would also plan on draining the antifreeze. Mine looked like crap. Black and brown. Good luck with everything and welcome to the best internet site around. There as unbelievable amount of great Capri lovers on here. Owners, also.
    Stan
    1986 Ford Mustang Saleen #80 Gray/gray
    1986 Mercury Capri ASC McLaren Coupe#20 Black/silver, gone.
    1985 GT Silver/gray T-top car, gone
    1985 Canyon Red Turbo coupe, gone

1985CapriGS makes some good recommendations. Perhaps even pull the plugs, and add some marvel mystery oil to the cylinders. But I'd say priming it before letting it run is a good idea. You'd be surprised how long a car could sit and then get back up and running as if you stopped time. Also if it's an AOD car maybe change tras fluid too.

Official FOX-A-QUE Threads
    : 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009

Neither here nor there

Quote Originally Posted by TWiCS View Post
    I really have a concern about starting this thing for the first time after 22 years of dry storage. I don't think I should just put a battery in it and turn the key, but I don't really have any idea where to start. Mechanically I have some experience rebuilding engines and transmissions, brakes etc but waking a car from the dead no not a bit.

I drained the carb before I stored it but not the gas tank or the rad. There is a couple of gallons gas in it still (I could hear it slosh about when I rock the car).

Is there a thread here that deals with long term storage startup? I really need some help with this.

Thanks
    These guys are on the right track but if you want any more input and ideas on top of what was said, feel free to make a post in our Tech section, you will get more visibility with your question there.

Mods, Maintenance and Mechanicals

^^^Click that.

Quote Originally Posted by 1985CapriGS View Post
    Well first I'd say "Post Some Pics". Second if it's the original fuel, I wouldn't start it until draining the tank. I'd say with near 100% certainty that fuel is shot. Dont' get it into the carb. I'd recommend dropping the tank, draining it, rinsing it out, and cleaning out the fuel lines. New fuel will do wonders. As for the engine, change the oil first and then turn the engine over by hand a few revolutions to get some oil into the dried out areas of the engine. After cranking by hand, then crank it with the starter but don't let it start by disconnecting the coil wire. After cranking some, then prime the carb and give it a shot. For te best lubriation, if you can remove the distributor and have a oil pump rod for priming, use a drill with the priming rod and spin the oil pump some to get oil into all the lifters and oil galleys.

Good luck and welcome fellow White Capri Owner !!! You can click on my photo albums to see the one I recently bought that I wil be restoring some once I'm back from Iraq this winter.
    Thanks for the reply. I think I will follow along with your recommendations.

I really dread taking the tank out and draining it though, not because of the work (that’s fun) but because of the fuel, the fuel needs to be disposed of properly and I expect it to be way more work finding how to recycle it that than the job itself.

I wonder if I could burn it off in one of my other vehicles by diluting it in an almost full tank of new fuel? It is only a few liters of old gas, or what if I filled the Capri tank completely with new fuel to dilute it that way (after flushing the fuel lines).

I will be looking forward to your return from Iraq and watching your Capri develop. BTW, I assume you are on a tour so thank you from this Canadian patriot to you and your family for your dedication.

Thanks
    I was in the same boat as you a couple of years ago. I have a 1985 GT with 13k miles that had not seen sunshine since 1989. I did the following:

1. Had the carb professionally rebuilt.
    2. Siphoned the gas and put fresh gas in the tank.
    3. Changed the oil and filter.
    4. Checked the antifreeze for level.
    5. Replaced the tires. Old ones were badly flat spotted.
    6. Replaced the battery.
    7. Replaced the serpentine belt.
    8. Put an inline fuel filter (well hidden from sight)

When I was ready to start the car, I cranked the car for about 5 seconds, and waited 5-10 seconds and cranked it again. I did this so I wouldn't over heat the starter and allow the engine to build oil pressure.

Once I had pressure I pumped the gas pedal to the floor 4 or 5 times. Cranked the starter (again for a few seconds). After about three times of doing this, the car fired right up and ran smoothly.

The only thing I noticed was a ticking sound in the engine (sounded like something sticking). I added some Seafoam to the crankcase and let the car idle about 20-25 minutes while keeping a close eye for leaks, smoke, fire, and engine temp. I did crack the throttle a number to times. After all of that the ticking sound did go away.

I changed the oil and filter again. WOW! The oil was filthy. Been driving it about 200 miles per summer.

Funny thing about the plates. I got Hisctorical plates this year. I was stopped by a cop just the second time I had it out with the new plates. No ticket just a lecture on the rules for Historical plates. I still drive it but not in his town.

Good luck.

welcome to the forums. glad to see another BC 'Stanger. can't wait to see pics of your car. I was going to go for collector plates too, but I can't now. too many mods. so I'm just going to build it the way I want it and have fun :P
    Vid of car running
    1979 Mercury Capri Ghia 5.0, T5 swap
    Edelbrock RPM intake & 600cfm carb, E7TE heads, BBK equal length shorty hedders & off-road H-pipe, Flowmaster 40's, 8.8 swap with 3.08 posi

{Project Info}

Cool,

I also has a 79 5.0 Mercury Capri, also a factory order. Wrapped it around a pole in 1985, that's when I ordered the 85.

Jeez I miss that car.

I'll post some pics of that this weekend too!
    Last edited by TWiCS; 07-12-2010 at 10:45 AM. Reason: spelling

1985CapriGS

Thanks for the reply. I think I will follow along with your recommendations.

I really dread taking the tank out and draining it though, not because of the work (that’s fun) but because of the fuel, the fuel needs to be disposed of properly and I expect it to be way more work finding how to recycle it that than the job itself.

I wonder if I could burn it off in one of my other vehicles by diluting it in an almost full tank of new fuel? It is only a few liters of old gas, or what if I filled the Capri tank completely with new fuel to dilute it that way (after flushing the fuel lines).

I will be looking forward to your return from Iraq and watching your Capri develop. BTW, I assume you are on a tour so thank you from this Canadian patriot to you and your family for your dedication.
    First, I want to say thank you for your comment and your service as well. Freedom has a feeling that those who've never served can ever understand.

As for the fuel, treat it like it's the worse thing you could do to your vehicles. I know about recycling and all. Best thing I can say is if you can get a coffee can or other metal can, try to burn it off. Of course just be real careful what you are doing. It's still a highly flammable chemical. Best thing is to dilute it with used oil and then take the used oil to a recycling center. The oil will be re-processed so it shouldn't be any real issue. Might take a while to dilute it, but that would be an option if burning isn't one.

The other comments about changing engine oil, trans fluid, anitfireeze are all good ideas. Without knwoing how it was prepped for storage, I would also recommend that you remove the spark plugs like someone else mentioned. You can spray W40 or some other spray mist oil or even squirt engine oil in the cylinders. You just want to get some oil on the cylinder walls. Rotate the engine over a few times to get the oil on the cylinder walls and around the rings.

Having drained the carb before storage, you may be okay but definitely watch for leaks once it's running. Hopefully the carb gaskets and seals are okay and you won't have to redo the carb. I'd say from my experience, you'll be fine with it.

The tires are a good thing to consider possibly being bad unless you had it on blocks where the weight was off of the tires or it was rolled occassionally in storage.

I'd also recommend lubing all the points on the car such as hinges, lock cylinders, any grease fittings, etc. Expect to have a squeak or two at first until it's lubed and moved around some.

Before driving and after getting engine running, place the rear axle up on jack stands and go slowly through the gears. This will work the fluid around in the rear axle without any dry scoring occurring to the bears, gears, diff clutches, etc. Plus you'll get the transmission fully lubed with no stress as well.

I may be forgetting an item or two but this should about cover it. You'll have it up and running and be glad you did. I'd say you'll probably be a little upset that you didn't take it out sooner and that you missed some good times with it. Now you have an excuse to drive it more to make up for that missed time

Good Luck & Happy Motoring !!

Quote Originally Posted by 1985 GT View Post
    Funny thing about the plates. I got Hisctorical plates this year. I was stopped by a cop just the second time I had it out with the new plates. No ticket just a lecture on the rules for Historical plates. I still drive it but not in his town.

Good luck.
    Wow that is a funny story!! I guess the cop was a Chevy man!

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast