Close

Question Need New Carb & Intake

So I am at the point that I need to replace the Carb on my car. I had it rebuilt in May because it was having a problem idling properly. the rebuild fixed it and it ran great, but now recently it's been doing the same thing. running rough and doesn't idle at all. I have been doing some research on new carbs and intakes. Here's what I have come up with so far:

Carbs:
    http://www.barrygrant.com/demon/default.aspx?page=8
    http://www.holley.com/0-80783C.asp

and for intakes:
    http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_..._gap-289.shtml
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WND-8020/

I am looking to get some reviews, stories, experience, suggestions. anything will be helpful.

1979 Mercury Capri
    302 auto trans (C4 i think)
    stock internals
    BBK equal shorties and off road h-pipe
    8.8 rear with 3.08 posi

current carb is edelbrock performer 600 on a torker II intake.

The car is mainly street. I would like to hit the strip in the future after I fix all the discrepancies to pass tech. I am also going to eventually do Cam and Heads.

Thanks
    Last edited by 79_5.0; 06-23-2010 at 12:19 AM.
    Vid of car running
    1979 Mercury Capri Ghia 5.0, T5 swap
    Edelbrock RPM intake & 600cfm carb, E7TE heads, BBK equal length shorty hedders & off-road H-pipe, Flowmaster 40's, 8.8 swap with 3.08 posi

{Project Info}

you've got the most desirable carb on that thing for what you're doing in my opinion. a little big but you've got future plans. from your pictures it looks like you are using the 1406. did you hook the choke up?

i wouldn't spend money on another brand, i'd try to figure out what is wrong with yours first. edelbrocks hold their tune very well in my experiences. they are also very easy to work on. there really isn't much to the carter afb design.

cale

its a 1408 and no the electric choke isn't hooked up. i have no idea where to get the power for it, and I can't find the power wire that came with it. I would like to get something with vacuum secondaries, I don't think I have quite the right application for the mechanical secondaries yet
    Vid of car running
    Edelbrock RPM intake & 600cfm carb, E7TE heads, BBK equal length shorty hedders & off-road H-pipe, Flowmaster 40's, 8.8 swap with 3.08 posi

{Project Info}

you can steal power from the positive side of the coil, the red/green wire, just use it to trigger a relay. i originally tried splicing directly off this wire, but the car ran pretty rough. it seemed to be stealing too much power from the coil.

edelbrock 1408 doesn't exist according to my carb book and summit racing. the mechanical secondaries on a 1406 are set up pretty conservatively out of the box.

i would ditch the torker intake you have though as it throws away torque with it's single plane short runner design. i would go with a performer rpm if hood clearance is an issue, if not the performer rpm air gap. a lot of people really like the weiand you have posted as well.

cale

I am definately going to change the torker for an RPM. and you are right, its a 1406. I never remember the number correctly.
    Vid of car running

{Project Info}

I'll take that carb if you change it out

i would just go with the summit racing brand airgap.. that what i bought its exactly the same as the edelbrock one except i got mine for 165!

"Exactly the same" is stretching the truth a bit. "Chinese knockoff" would be more accurate.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

Quote Originally Posted by JACook View Post
    "Exactly the same" is stretching the truth a bit. "Chinese knockoff" would be more accurate.

+1 on staying with your 1406. I bought mine new, and was close to getting rid of it, but it was other issues and not the carb. Its great, starts up in the dead of winter after sitting for a few weeks and very very easy to work on...
    1998 SVT Contour Daily Driver- K1 Racing Wheels CAI
    1985 Mustang GT T-top Black
    Freshened/Blueprinted 302-Heavily Worked GT40 Heads SS valves and Heavy Duty springs-1.6r Crane Cams RR-Custom Grind Comp Cam-Wieand Intake-Edelbrock Carb-MSD-King Cobra Clutch-World Class T5-Cobra 4whl Disc-31spl 4:10 rear-Longtubes-Strange 10Ways-Mac Exhaust with 3" Rolled tips-
    1984 RS Turbo Capri 100% Show car
    1982 Mustang GT

Quote Originally Posted by JACook View Post
    Exactly, with anyone's guess being about right as far as if each runner flows the same and is cast worth a crap. Just because it looks the same on the outside doesn't mean it performs the same or is truly cast the same. I'm a huge fan of the Stealth/Holley 600 combo for mostly stock engines. I've recommended it to a bunch of people and they where all thrilled. It put my car in the 12s (although with a 650) and the Stealth supported my 347 to the HP numbers in my sig so that to me is proof enough of how well it performs. The tuner was dead shocked that a duel plane intake pulled and peaked at 6300rpm and held power to 6500 without dropping off.
    -EVIL SSP-
    '85 KY Highway Patrol SSP Coupe
    Walk around/exhaust clip

-David

Quote Originally Posted by 85_SS_302_Coupe View Post
    Exactly, with anyone's guess being about right as far as if each runner flows the same and is cast worth a crap. Just because it looks the same on the outside doesn't mean it performs the same or is truly cast the same. I'm a huge fan of the Stealth/Holley 600 combo for mostly stock engines. I've recommended it to a bunch of people and they where all thrilled. It put my car in the 12s (although with a 650) and the Stealth supported my 347 to the HP numbers in my sig so that to me is proof enough of how well it performs. The tuner was dead shocked that a duel plane intake pulled and peaked at 6300rpm and held power to 6500 without dropping off.
    I think i'm going to buy the Edelbrock Performer RPM intake and work with that.

Quote Originally Posted by 84rsturbo View Post

+1 on staying with your 1406. I bought mine new, and was close to getting rid of it, but it was other issues and not the carb. Its great, starts up in the dead of winter after sitting for a few weeks and very very easy to work on...
    A buddy loaned me a carb today so that I could take the Edy off and tear it apart and see whats going on
    Vid of car running

{Project Info}

Quote Originally Posted by 85.0 View Post
    I'll take that carb if you change it out
    if i decide to replace it, you have first dibs, you want the torker II as well?
    Vid of car running

{Project Info}