Close

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    FEP Member

Some people don't like how much the fox platforms creaks and rattles. They want their heated seats also! haha

Quote Originally Posted by 4SPDFOX View Post
    I want tire-spinning torque at 1,000 rpm right off idle, and I want it .01 seconds before I hit the gas. I don't want to wait for the drive-by-wire to do its thang and the computer to run through diagnostic checks before it gives the thumbs up for full throttle. I want 100% torque at 1,000 rpm, IMMEDIATELY when I hit the gas, and absolutely NO new car offers that, not an SRT8 or a ZR1 or a Coyote. That can only be had by an old, fully mechanically operated, carbureted engine so I will take my '82 over an '11, thank you.
    Ed

"The Dude abides."

^^^ +1 ^^^
    Project "WinBacK" 1986 LX Hatchback
    - CA car, 5.0 w/5 speed
    - Cobra 17x8.5's + Modded Mach1 Chin Spoiler + 83-84 Hood & Scoop/85-86 "Blackout"+ FMS Mass Air Kit+ MM Clutch Cable & Quadrant + Fiore Cable Adjuster + MM SFC's+ Wild Rides "Battle Boxes" + Explorer Intake, Converted TB & Injectors, 70 mm Mass Air Meter + BBK Ceramic Shorties + 2.5" Bassani O/R X-Pipe & Cat-Back Exhaust w/ 3" Tips + 3L27 w/ Carbon Fiber Clutches​(out of retirement) + Pistol Grip Shifter + 99-04 GT Front/00 Cobra Rear Disc Brakes

Quote Originally Posted by D347643 View Post
    Some people don't like how much the fox platforms creaks and rattles. They want their heated seats also! haha

My fox has heated seats!
    2007 SL55 - Capri Blue - Leather, 487/560 WHP/WTQ at 13.5PSI

Quote Originally Posted by Forever View Post
    I dont understand why people say get a 351 or 408 stroker or a 460???

when the 302 can do just as good and better, and weights less on the nose (and fit under the stock hood), which would help you keep up better with the 11' ...

and it would not take much suspension work to make it handle just as good as the 11'

... it is just the motor HP that you would have to work with to have enough power
    A 351 is more cubic inches than a 302 or a 347, has a stronger block than a 302, does not have to be revved as high and doesn't really weigh that much more than a 302. Just my .02
    -John-

79 Mercury Capri RS: 5.0L 5 speed swap
    83 Mustang GT: 5.0L 5 Speed
    83 Mustang GT T-Top: 5.0L 5 Speed
    84 Mustang L: 2.3L 4 Speed
    85 LTD Wagon: 358W 5 speed swap
    87 Mustang LX: 5.0L 5 speed swap

Quote Originally Posted by sonofpf View Post
    What about entertainment value? If you plan on keeping your car for X number of years will you get 10k in fun out of your fox? Will you get 35k out of a 2011?
    In 35 years maybe!
    Have
    1982 Mustang GT 2nd owner
    1999 Dodge Viper GTS Canadian model 2nd owner

Had
    1966 GT 350
    1967 GT 500
    1980 Fairmont Futura Turbo 2nd ownerhttp://www.cardomain.com/ride/3818362

Quote Originally Posted by 4SPDFOX View Post
    1. I want tire-spinning torque at 1,000 rpm right off idle, and I want it .01 seconds before I hit the gas. I don't want to wait for the drive-by-wire to do its thang and the computer to run through diagnostic checks before it gives the thumbs up for full throttle. I want 100% torque at 1,000 rpm, IMMEDIATELY when I hit the gas, and absolutely NO new car offers that, not an SRT8 or a ZR1 or a Coyote. That can only be had by an old, fully mechanically operated, carbureted engine so I will take my '82 over an '11, thank you.
    I think my Viper is in that catagory, maybe not a 100% pretty close. Not bragging but they are torque monsters.
    Have
    1982 Mustang GT 2nd owner
    1999 Dodge Viper GTS Canadian model 2nd owner

Had
    1966 GT 350
    1967 GT 500
    1980 Fairmont Futura Turbo 2nd ownerhttp://www.cardomain.com/ride/3818362

Quote Originally Posted by Forever View Post

when the 302 can do just as good and better, and weights less on the nose (and fit under the stock hood), which would help you keep up better with the 11' ...

and it would not take much suspension work to make it handle just as good as the 11'

... it is just the motor HP that you would have to work with to have enough power
    The power is the easy part.

Making it handle like the '11 is going to be an issue. When talking street car, weight, suspension design, and braking is going to be a bigger issue than slapping on some MM parts, Cobra brakes, and have the car have street manners as well as track performance.

And a/c, and heated seats, and power everything, and new car smell, and no oil leaks, creature comforts, etc.
    85 SVO
    94 GT CMC#71
    65 Fastback

Originally Posted by Forever

because the 5.0 pushrod engines are out of date and not enough. It takes a 347 stroker with big heads nowadays just to turn 11's/hi 12's...or what the new 5.0 is nearly doing stock. The old 5.0 simply doesn't make enough power for it's size. You need more cubic inches.
    Jeremy
    -86 mustang SSP X CHP Unit # 3788-bone stock & staying that way
    -66 Mustang, bench seat car,8.8,t5 fuel injected 92 engine
    -72 Maverick 5.0 resto in process
    -12SS Camaro 6 speed. 600 FWHP, Kraftwerks Supercharger
    -03 z71 Avalanche 9" lift on 35s Daily Driven 20k a year. 290k miles at 11.8 mpg
    Entire 1986 electrical and vacuum troubleshooting manual download
    http://slantnosefox.com/picturehosti...g%20manual.zip

Guess this makes me an *ssman?!

I just don't like the bent 2011 taillights at all.
    86 GT Conv. Stock White "Shamu" - Sold 2014 @ 134k
    84 5.0 LX Conv. Canyon Red - Sold to collector 2010
    82 GT Coupe Black - Full body Stk Race Car - Sold 2003
    87 GT Conv. Wife's Stock Poppy Red - Sold 2002

Yeah, I wish they would redesign the tail lights .
    - CA car, 5.0 w/5 speed
    - Cobra 17x8.5's + Modded Mach1 Chin Spoiler + 83-84 Hood & Scoop/85-86 "Blackout"+ FMS Mass Air Kit+ MM Clutch Cable & Quadrant + Fiore Cable Adjuster + MM SFC's+ Wild Rides "Battle Boxes" + Explorer Intake, Converted TB & Injectors, 70 mm Mass Air Meter + BBK Ceramic Shorties + 2.5" Bassani O/R X-Pipe & Cat-Back Exhaust w/ 3" Tips + 3L27 w/ Carbon Fiber Clutches​(out of retirement) + Pistol Grip Shifter + 99-04 GT Front/00 Cobra Rear Disc Brakes

FEP Member

"""because the 5.0 pushrod engines are out of date and not enough. It takes a 347 stroker with big heads nowadays just to turn 11's/hi 12's...or what the new 5.0 is nearly doing stock. The old 5.0 simply doesn't make enough power for it's size. You need more cubic inches."""

I disagree with this statement ^^^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by v8only View Post
    because the 5.0 pushrod engines are out of date and not enough. It takes a 347 stroker with big heads nowadays just to turn 11's/hi 12's...or what the new 5.0 is nearly doing stock. The old 5.0 simply doesn't make enough power for it's size. You need more cubic inches.

I don't know what you're driving but my 250k+ 25 year old 302 with 40 year old ported Windsor heads, an off the shelf cam and basic bolt ons was running mid 12s. Granted part of that is due to it being lighter than the new Mustangs, but it also wasn't making 412hp at the crank either. People building 347's and running "hi 12's" are doing something wrong because an Explorer motor with a Stage 1 cam can do that all day long.
    -EVIL SSP-
    '85 KY Highway Patrol SSP Coupe
    Walk around/exhaust clip

-David

I've got a group of friends who all run explorer, gt40/gt40p heads with bolt ons. Every one of them are doing 13's. One is at 13.1 and should hit the high 12's this summer with more dialing in. This is all unported.

I've become part of a mustang club locally, all fox's. There are a dozen of us or more who regulary meet at the track. The stock mustangs average 15's to high 14's. I've seen one guy do late 13's with stock heads and stock intake with gears and tire.

The gt40 head/explorer crowd, and there are about 6 of them ALL do 13's...some are getting close to the hi 12 area, but not yet.

The guys with the 331/347 strokers average very very low 12's....my friend with a very heavy vert, 331 stroker afr 185's, rpm 2 intake has a best of 12.1, and 11.7 on a 75 shot.

There will always be some of you who can pull 12 second stocker times, and low to mid 12 second explorer motor times. I believe it, and I've seen it. However, from all my experience, which is quite a bit, by far the AVERAGE mustang guy does as I've said before. THe people who can pull those kind of #'s average less than 10% of those who race. It's possible, but you've really got to be hardcore, and know what you're doing.

The most streetable way and easiest way to do this, by far is with a 5.8 based stroker block, if you want 11's or better.
    Jeremy
    -86 mustang SSP X CHP Unit # 3788-bone stock & staying that way
    -66 Mustang, bench seat car,8.8,t5 fuel injected 92 engine
    -72 Maverick 5.0 resto in process
    -12SS Camaro 6 speed. 600 FWHP, Kraftwerks Supercharger
    -03 z71 Avalanche 9" lift on 35s Daily Driven 20k a year. 290k miles at 11.8 mpg
    Entire 1986 electrical and vacuum troubleshooting manual download
    http://slantnosefox.com/picturehosti...g%20manual.zip

Quote Originally Posted by twistedwankel View Post
    Guess this makes me an *ssman?!

I just don't like the bent 2011 taillights at all.
    Kinda looks like the tail end of a '76 Celica doesn't it?

-John-

Which was inspired by the Mustang...so in the end...it looks like a Mustang LOL
    No matter where you go, there you are

Quote Originally Posted by mfpmax View Post
    Which was inspired by the Mustang...so in the end...it looks like a Mustang LOL
    Yes, yes it was.
    -John-

I've got a group of friends who all run explorer, gt40/gt40p heads with bolt ons. Every one of them are doing 13's. One is at 13.1 and should hit the high 12's this summer with more dialing in. This is all unported.

I've become part of a mustang club locally, all fox's. There are a dozen of us or more who regulary meet at the track. The stock mustangs average 15's to high 14's. I've seen one guy do late 13's with stock heads and stock intake with gears and tire.

The gt40 head/explorer crowd, and there are about 6 of them ALL do 13's...some are getting close to the hi 12 area, but not yet.

The guys with the 331/347 strokers average very very low 12's....my friend with a very heavy vert, 331 stroker afr 185's, rpm 2 intake has a best of 12.1, and 11.7 on a 75 shot.

There will always be some of you who can pull 12 second stocker times, and low to mid 12 second explorer motor times. I believe it, and I've seen it. However, from all my experience, which is quite a bit, by far the AVERAGE mustang guy does as I've said before. THe people who can pull those kind of #'s average less than 10% of those who race. It's possible, but you've really got to be hardcore, and know what you're doing.

The most streetable way and easiest way to do this, by far is with a 5.8 based stroker block, if you want 11's or better.

The '88 notchback in my youtube videos was doing 12.70s @ 108 mph with a stock 302 short block with RPM heads, E cam, TF intake and 3.73 gears, nothing more. Even had the stock intake pipe and filter box with just a K&N drop-in. That was in AZ in August in 110 degree heat, D/A was over 5000 ft.... He recently sold the Edelbrock heads and put some other heads on (no idea what they are) and did a 347 stroker kit at the same time, still no other mods, and ran 11.89 @ 114 mph. Check out the car when it was just a H/C/I 302 in my videos. Just click one of the links in my sig and flip through the videos till you find it. There is one where he races an LS1/4L60E swapped third gen Camaro, and wins!
    1982 Mustang GLX coupe
    GT40P, 278H-10, Performer intake, exhaust, T5, 3.73
    13.28 @ 105 mph- SOLD

1992 Mustang Convertible
    GT40P, Explorer intake, exhaust, T5, 3.27
    13.89 @ 101 mph- TRADED FOR:

1982 Mustang GT 359W
    10.24:1, ported heads, X cam, RPM intake, T5, 3.55

Somebody should probably tell this guy that. It doesn't take a whole lot for a EFI HO car to run in the 12's, plain and simple. My car with a K&N and exhaust, with 3.08's and some 275/50 Cooper Cobras, was consistantly running mid-8's in the 1/8th before I bought it. Weight is a very big factor and that's where foxes, some more than others, have an advantage.
    80' Mustang Coupe

5.0 HO EFI (MAF)
    K&N Cone Filter
    Equal Length Headers
    O/R H-Pipe w/ Dumped Flowmaster Mufflers
    Built C4
    8.8"

8.62 @ 83.41MPH

I like the new GT's and the new 5.0 looks awesome, but I don't think you can find a better performance platform for the dollar than the fox platform. You can do all the mods you want to either car, but the fox platform will still have one performance advantage....weight. There is nothing you could do to the 2011 that could get the weight down to be comparable to a fox with the same mods. Reduced weight helps EVERY performance aspect of a car: accelerating, turning and stopping. I just don't see how you could spend 10K on a solid fox car and not be able to dust the 2011 in every performance aspect.

I harped on "performance" because I do believe the 2011 would be more comfortable with all of those mods than a fox car. Better interior, sound deadening, creature comforts, etc. For a daily driver that had a lot of balls yet was still comfortable enough to drive across the country at any time, I would choose the 2011...for my wife. I still love all the creaks and rattles of the older cars, including the fox chassis. Going over train tracks and not hearing the car complain just seems wrong to me.
    Originally Posted by Darkwriter77:
    And yes, it is your car and you CAN do with it as you wish. However, just because you CAN do something doesn't mean that you SHOULD. After all, I CAN beat myself in the face with a claw hammer and slam my weenie in a car door repeatedly, but common sense tells me I should NOT.

FEP Member

A problem (imo) is that people build their engines based too heavily on what their buddy, relative, internet members, etc have done. Some person rides in his friend's h/c/i fox and thinks holy crap this is way faster than my stocker. He adds similar parts and now they both have cars that really aren't putting down the numbers they should. I won't lend my opinion about gt40/gt40p's because I know it will upset people BUT just because you know half a dozen h/c/i cars that can't get out of their own way doesn't mean that's the norm. IF I built a 347 that couldn't run deep in the 11's (with supporting suspension components) I would be pissed. That's just my opinion though.

First off a good friend of my dads when he saw my car was more impressed with my 82 than he was with his own sons 07 Roush\. he thought it was way more impressive that i had built a car like mine, and that my friend and i did the work ourselves, than going and buying a "pre-made Hotrod"
    I have WAY more pride & passion into my car, than i could ever have in something i bought, that was modded by someone else.

For how much everyone here says they loves these car you sure can be self deprecating.
    Now, my car is nowhere near dialed in or perfect, but on the way to the "back to the fifties car show", i easily out ran a 455 Buick Gran Sport, and not only that but i also had some fun scarin my dad on the way back by takin a 35mph corner at 95, with no slip, tire howl, or pushing. and i have had plenty of time behind the wheel of my old 2k sn95(7) my dad now owns, and i gaurantee, that car would have drivin off the corner at that speed.

With the right motor mods, suspension, and safety mods(brakes LOL) you can easily have enough power and fun to scare yourself, and have No car payment to pay and the end of the month.

TO THE OP-No matter what you do, sink 10g into the fox or Mod the 2011, THERE WILL ALWAYS BE SOMEBODY FASTER.

BTW stop all this mustang on mustang crime, go embarrass some bowtie's and kill some imports.
    (sorry for grammar im sleepy LOL)
    No Longer a 4I Owner
    But Have way too much 4I stuff Collecting Dust.

It's funny how things come full circle.

I'm originally a musclecar guy. Back in the late 80's I remember how this debate raged between 60's and 70's Musclecars and Fox body cars. See the funny thing is that "real" car guys back then had no real respect for the 5.0 Mustangs...don't get pissy until you hear my whole point.

Back then 5.0 Mustangs were a dime a dozen. I remember I used to street race at Philadelphia's Front street pretty much every Friday and Saturday night. The place used to be over-run with 5.0 Mustangs. Every Tom, Dick, and Harry that bought one brand new, brought it down to Front street to beat the snot out of it. Were they quick? Sure. I've seen them beat IROC's, Trans Ams, and Monte SS's. They couldn't beat the Vette or the Gran National but they also didn't cost as much as a Vette or GN.

I saw 5.0 Mustangs beat mid-level Musclecars but they couldn't keep up with the real Musclecars. Cars like big block Chevelles, 442's, and GTO's would hand 5.0's their asses pretty regularly. I ran a 67 GTO with a 360HP 400, a 4 speed, and a set of 3:90's and no 5.0 could touch me. (neither could a GN for that matter)

Why did the 5.0 guys get no respect?? Because no matter how quick their car was, it wasn't THEIR car. It was Fords car. Walking into a dealership and walking out with a 12 or back then 14-15 second car doesn't make you a "car guy".

As a car guy, I would have 10 times more respect for the guy who sinks his time, money, and labor into a car and can either run with or run close to a new Mustang, as opposed to the 50 year old guy who walks into a Ford dealership and signs on the dotted line then shows up at the track like billy bad-ass.

My whole point is this. Granted the 11 Mustang is badass and fast as Hell. It would kill my 86 GT convertible and also my 69 Mach I. No doubt about it. But going fast is one part of owning a car. The second part is enjoying it. Taking it out on a Saturday afternoon, putting the top down on a Saturday evening and going out for ice cream, going to a cruise night and having 15-20 people tell you "nice car" and the countless thumbs up you get on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by gw468 View Post
    It's funny how things come full circle.

I'm originally a musclecar guy. Back in the late 80's I remember how this debate raged between 60's and 70's Musclecars and Fox body cars. See the funny thing is that "real" car guys back then had no real respect for the 5.0 Mustangs...don't get pissy until you hear my whole point.

Back then 5.0 Mustangs were a dime a dozen. I remember I used to street race at Philadelphia's Front street pretty much every Friday and Saturday night. The place used to be over-run with 5.0 Mustangs. Every Tom, Dick, and Harry that bought one brand new, brought it down to Front street to beat the snot out of it. Were they quick? Sure. I've seen them beat IROC's, Trans Ams, and Monte SS's. They couldn't beat the Vette or the Gran National but they also didn't cost as much as a Vette or GN.

I saw 5.0 Mustangs beat mid-level Musclecars but they couldn't keep up with the real Musclecars. Cars like big block Chevelles, 442's, and GTO's would hand 5.0's their asses pretty regularly. I ran a 67 GTO with a 360HP 400, a 4 speed, and a set of 3:90's and no 5.0 could touch me. (neither could a GN for that matter)

Why did the 5.0 guys get no respect?? Because no matter how quick their car was, it wasn't THEIR car. It was Fords car. Walking into a dealership and walking out with a 12 or back then 14-15 second car doesn't make you a "car guy".

As a car guy, I would have 10 times more respect for the guy who sinks his time, money, and labor into a car and can either run with or run close to a new Mustang, as opposed to the 50 year old guy who walks into a Ford dealership and signs on the dotted line then shows up at the track like billy bad-ass.

My whole point is this. Granted the 11 Mustang is badass and fast as Hell. It would kill my 86 GT convertible and also my 69 Mach I. No doubt about it. But going fast is one part of owning a car. The second part is enjoying it. Taking it out on a Saturday afternoon, putting the top down on a Saturday evening and going out for ice cream, going to a cruise night and having 15-20 people tell you "nice car" and the countless thumbs up you get on the road.

I think this pretty much wraps this thread up.
    - CA car, 5.0 w/5 speed

FEP Senior Member

I have an 08 GT, 05 V6 that was s/c'ed, and the Fox, the fox is pretty nimble and more balanced than my GT, the V6 blown would beat them all out and is fun to play with and drive because of the money spent on it, dollar for dollar on mods depending on what you want to do you can almost get whatever result you want, all cars will have their advantages/disadvantages. when thinking which car I could make go faster the fox always comes up 1st. I know there are plenty of 10 second and less S197s but when I go to the track there isnt any that can run with the 8, 9, or 10 second foxes, all a matter of opinion and personal preference
    1984 1/2 GT 350 finally done (well almost)
    2012 Focus SEL
    1971 Ranchero - needs bodywork
    1995 F150 4X4 Flareside - it is fun!
    2014 F150 Tremor - Holy Smoke!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast