Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default '83 GLX MUSTANG 4 SPEED

Is anyone an owner of an '83 Mustang GLX 4 speed? I am the owner of one and I know there are only about 3 left anywhere and I'm trying to find the other ones.

of 3 left??? i know of two for sale as we speak ....and ive seen a bunch of them....so i dont know where you got 3 from????

Of the eight 5.0L GLX convertibles I have in my database right now, three of them came equipped with the four-speed (SROD) transmission. One of them was for sale online only two months ago.

And I only have a total of 20 confirmed GLXes in the database.

I think your numbers are a bit off.
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 06-17-2010 at 01:52 PM.

I've seen lots of them.
    82 9D Black Magic 5.0
    82 1C Black Magic 5.0

Hey thanks for confimring that there are ONLY THREE 4 SPEEDS!!! People read what I am writing.!!! 4!!! SPEEDS!!! NOT 5! Ive seen tons of 5 speeds too. They are NOT rare. THE 4 SPEEDS ARE! Thanks FOX for saying I was wrong when you just confirmed that there are THREE. And where are you getting your information from? One of your THREE that you have, is mine; if not then there are 4 of them.
    Last edited by RunsWild; 06-18-2010 at 10:14 AM.

I meant that I've seen lots of '83 Mustangs and Capris with the 4-speed, including many GLX convertibles. And I'm talking about cars that are near where I live... Either on the road, listed for sale, or in the junkyards.
    82 9D Black Magic 5.0
    82 1C Black Magic 5.0

I have confirmed no such thing. I do not have access to Ford's archived production data (and neither do most other people who claimed there were only xxx made) so I have no idea how many 5.0L GLXes (hatch, convertible, or both) were made with a four-speed.

I have only eight of the over 5,000 GLX 5.0L convertible VINs. Of those eight, three have the SROD. I doubt very much I have your VIN, but it is a possibility.

If you have Websites that are claiming something like 500 made, or that the SROD transmission was a mistake (it wasn't), or there are only three known to exist, etc., please post the source(s).

Quote Originally Posted by RunsWild View Post
    Hey thanks for confimring that there are ONLY THREE 4 SPEEDS!!! People read what I am writing.!!! 4!!! SPEEDS!!! NOT 5! Ive seen tons of 5 speeds too. They are NOT rare. THE 4 SPEEDS ARE! Thanks FOX for saying I was wrong when you just confirmed that there are THREE. And where are you getting your information from? One of your THREE that you have, is mine; if not then there are 4 of them.
    Dude, go back and reread what was written. Fox has been keeping a database of cars that he comes accross. Apparently he has found a substantial number of cars with the 4 speed. This means that there are probably even far more out there that he has yet to come across.

What we want to know is where you got your production information as it appears to be erroneous.

-Mike
    Last edited by negusm; 06-19-2010 at 01:39 PM.

Let's try this on for size....

There were over 5,300 5.0L GLX convertibles made.

Of those ~5,300 I have only eight VINs, or about 0.0015% of production.

One of the three VINs I have that was built with the four-speed was VERY late production (PSN # 220522).

The data analysis is pretty clear that there were, and are, many more of these models than the original poster's information suggests.

That said, I've always liked this model, and would like to see pictures of the original poster's car.
    Bob in Lebanon, TN
    79 original owner six cylinder coupe
    MCA Gold Card judge for 3rd Generation cars

I have the vin of mine; if you happen to have it that would be awesome. Like I've stated I'm trying to find other owners becuase I know they are not a very common car. Sorry my numbers were off; much of it was heresay but here's some info that I found out about them.

http://forums.mustangandfords.com/70...are/index.html

1983 was the first year for the Mustang convertible. It was initially launched as a GLX with the 3.8-liter Essex V-6 and three speed automatic transmission. A 302 ci, 5.0 liter V-8 with four-barrel carb and four-speed overdrive was the initial option. The five-speed Borg Warner T-5 was a running change during the model year. To the best of my knowledge, there was no V-8/automatic combo offered for ’83, that would change the following year when Ford offered the central fuel injected 302 V-8 and AOD four-speed automatic trans combination. The vast majority of ’83 Mustang convertibles were GLX models, a few GT convertibles were offered late in the model year. From 1984 onwards, convertibles were offered in LX or GT trim. Through 1986 the base LX convertible engine remained the 3.8 liter V6, strictly with a three speed automatic, with the 5.0 liter V-8 optional. For 1986 a single sequential fuel injected V8 replaced the CFI automatic and Carb five-speed combos and was offered with both transmissions.

The 1983 Mustang convertibles were fairly rare to begin with and today are not often seen. So these days, an early build, four-speed equipped V-8 car would be definitely be rare.

Quote Originally Posted by RunsWild View Post
    I have the vin of mine; if you happen to have it that would be awesome. Like I've stated I'm trying to find other owners becuase I know they are not a very common car. Sorry my numbers were off; much of it was heresay but here's some info that I found out about them.
    Thank you for the response. Understand that we work hard to make sure that we keep to the facts. People often post numbers all willy nilly and it causes all sorts of problems because these things get out as "fact" and then we have to continually combat them with our "superior" facts.

I'll let Fox speak to the details you posted since he is more versedin the 83 Mustangs.

-Mike

Yes, the five-speed manual-shift transmission (T-5) was a running change as the standard transmission behind the 5.0L engine. HOWEVER, the four-speed manual-shift transmission (SROD) then became the optional transmission behind the 5.0L engine, through the end of the '83 model year. If you chose the optional SROD over the standard T-5, you got a credit on your invoice of $124.

I don't know where you got that Ford only made 500 5.0L/SROD GLX convertibles, and that they were a "mistake" (they were not a mistake), but you were the only one posting that number in that thread you linked-to.

I have one out here, Im working on getting it from a friends father that wants to clean it up but doesnt have the time or money so im slowly prying it out of his hands. I will check to see if its a 4 speed and let you know for the data base

bmx

I have a silver '83GLX that orig. had a 5.0 4spd. i have owned the car since '91. it has the sun roof and wedgewood blue int with no console. it also had the seats with the net in the head rests, but i removed them years ago. The car now has a 429 and c6 trans that i am in the process of removing in favor of an 89 5.0.

Can you post an image of the door tag and the buck tag? Thanks.

I have one, and I'm willing to sell it 83 GLX conv, 302/4 speed.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by 1983glx View Post
    I do.
    I have a 83 mustang Glx convertible with the 4 speed. Is it rare. I have been reading 3 left? 500 made 5000 made?????

Only Ford, or someone whom is authorized to look at Ford's production data i.e. Marti Auto Works, knows how many 1983 GLX 5.0L convertible were made with a 4-speed. Anyone else that claims they know really doesn't, and they're just making up a number.

There were over 5,300 1983 5.0L GLX convertibles made. That number is not broken down by transmission. That number is just the total number made with ALL transmissions.

Only three left with a 4-speed is complete nonsense.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

I just bought an 83 Convertible 5.0 4-speed. Not sure if it's a glx though.

Default 4 speed glx

Thanks for the clarification

Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    I just bought an 83 Convertible 5.0 4-speed. Not sure if it's a glx though.
    Can you post pics of the door and buck tags?
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

I purchased a 1 owner 42k miles 83 GLX 4 SPD Mustang GLX in October. It was completely stock when I purchased it but it had a rod knock. I kept the old original motor and swapped in a roller short block.

I've got a 1983 GLX T-top hatchback 4 speed 5.0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast