Close

Default how bad are the dash pads?

I really need a dash pad or two and since this a daily driver I'm ok with minor fitment issues. I heard the pads currently out have issues but how bad are they really?

Lets say you had a cracked up or even missing dash, would the one available be sufficent for now?

I just put a dash rug on mine. I glued mine down so it stays in place though. Some day I will get a new one but for now this works just fine.
    Mike

1986 ASCMclaren #108
    stock short block, Victor EFI, 75mm TB, 3.08's, Borla cat-back, slot style MAF conversion, Gt-40p heads, TFS1 cam, 80lb injectors, 69mm turbo, Moates Quaterhorse, E85. 501/584 @ the rear wheels

i bought one from 50 resto about a year back. it looks good. however im having an issue with it sitting high in the middle. im thinking its something on my particular car. and it could be many things. i just got around to the interior the past 2 weeks
    Build your own dreams or help someone else build theirs!

67 Mustang Coupe-Rusty Parts Car
    79 Mustang Cobra- Garage Art/Project Car 11.3@118mph on a 150 shot
    84 Mustang Gt- Bolt On Fun Car
    97 Wrangler Sport- Lifted on 33's - Trail Rig
    08 Mustang Gt- Bolt Ons, 12.89@109

The one in my car is a reproduction from FMR. It is not a perfect fit but it looks 100X better then the cracked up factory one that was in there. My factory one was so bad you couldn't even mask it with a dash cover.

Robert

1984 RS 347 Capri, To many car parts to list, check out my car build page here for the story on my car and a full parts list/setup!:

My RS in Action

Neither here nor there

I too put one in a few years ago...needed to do something.
    It's not factory OEM, but it is better then huge cracks.

It seems like everyone I've seen including mine has that slight dip over the HVAC controls and then it sits up too high at the middle peak. It's a great replacement for a busted up original but if you look close they're not like the originals were as far a fit and finish. For a driver it's a good deal IMO.
    1979 Base Model Coupe- 351w, C4, 3.73s, the fun machine- Now getting a lot more well deserved mileage put on her!
    2007 Forest River Sunseeker 2200 Class C motorhome on an E-450 chassis. Oh yeah!
    2013 Subaru Crosstrek XV Premium- Marine Blue w/ 5-speed, awesome little car.

Quote Originally Posted by SRM351 View Post
    It seems like everyone I've seen including mine has that slight dip over the HVAC controls and then it sits up too high at the middle peak. It's a great replacement for a busted up original but if you look close they're not like the originals were as far a fit and finish. For a driver it's a good deal IMO.
    Yeah, i noticed the dips too. Mine is a ford pad but it dips too and drives me crazy but FMR hasn't finished their dam pads yet, so I have to move on.

I called in December or January and the guy I spoke with said 1 or 2 months, but I guess that didn't pan out. Now that the weather is nice, and the interior panels are getting done, I just have to move on without the new pad, I waited as long as I could.
    Tom

CAMMED & SLAMMED! For more build pics and updates: http://www.facebook.com/SINISBuilt

For being "BUILT not BOUGHT" I am still broke!

Quote Originally Posted by 69clark View Post
    Yeah, i noticed the dips too. Mine is a ford pad but it dips too and drives me crazy but FMR hasn't finished their dam pads yet, so I have to move on.

I called in December or January and the guy I spoke with said 1 or 2 months, but I guess that didn't pan out. Now that the weather is nice, and the interior panels are getting done, I just have to move on without the new pad, I waited as long as I could.

I too was waiting for the new pad but I'm just tired of looking at the grand canyon and little pieces of dash falling into my speaker. I've already pulled the pad once thinking I blew brand new fosgate speakers. Turns out a piece of pad fell into the cone and was distorting the sound. I really don't think a Dash Topper would cover the cracks since the cracks run all the way down the front of the pad as well.

Looks like FMR or LRS will do if the pics above is what I get. Looks ok and I think I would rather live with dips then cracks. Thanks for the photos everyone.

I've had very good luck with the plastic covers. They do fit very well and you can paint to match. I've installed the repro. dash pads and they fit just like you would expect a repro part to fit, poorly. The colors on the repro pads usually are off and the urethane they are made from is NON paintable so you're also stuck with color mismatch. I will stick with covers or NOS ,when available, until a good quality part is available.
    '67 Shelby GT500 428 4spd. (owned for 32yrs. SOLD 11/26/2011. A sad day $$$$. Pics in my album!

'83 Capri 5.0 4spd. ASC McLaren Sport Pkg.(1983 Indy 500 Speed Week Motorcraft sponsored parade car) Original paint. Pics in my album! (SOLD 11/11/2017)

'79 Capri RS 5.0 52,000mi. Total molestation! (1300 man/hrs.) Build Pics in 3 albums!

Quote Originally Posted by wgt500 View Post
    I've had very good luck with the plastic covers. They do fit very well and you can paint to match. I've installed the repro. dash pads and they fit just like you would expect a repro part to fit, poorly. The colors on the repro pads usually are off and the urethane they are made from is NON paintable so you're also stuck with color mismatch. I will stick with covers or NOS ,when available, until a good quality part is available.

Do the covers go over the front edges all the way? I don't want to see any part of factory dash. Also this is a daily beater. Not a resto or even resto mod. I drive it 60 miles a day just for work. I'm not picky at this point. ALMOST anything is better then what I have. So color match isn't an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyegt View Post
    Do the covers go over the front edges all the way? I don't want to see any part of factory dash. Also this is a daily beater. Not a resto or even resto mod. I drive it 60 miles a day just for work. I'm not picky at this point. ALMOST anything is better then what I have. So color match isn't an issue.
    Yes, if you get a good plastic one, it's almost impossible to tell from 3' away. Make sure to use plenty of 3M two sided tape to adhere it to the old dash. It's the same tape used for exterior moldings. You only get one try at this! DON'T use the silicone that they send with the cover to glue it on!
    '67 Shelby GT500 428 4spd. (owned for 32yrs. SOLD 11/26/2011. A sad day $$$$. Pics in my album!

'83 Capri 5.0 4spd. ASC McLaren Sport Pkg.(1983 Indy 500 Speed Week Motorcraft sponsored parade car) Original paint. Pics in my album! (SOLD 11/11/2017)

'79 Capri RS 5.0 52,000mi. Total molestation! (1300 man/hrs.) Build Pics in 3 albums!

Hemlock what color is your carpet? I have grey interior and was going to go with a charcoal that would match the dash better. I'm trying to get away from all the light grey that fades to baby blue in the Az sun.