Close

Default center console question

my 84 center console is very loose and so is my buddies 85. I just got my car so i havent even had time to check it out but i was wondering if this is common with the older fox interior?
    1984 Mustang Coupe
    302 h/c/i with t-5

Mine was loose as well when i first got my '84. Had to take it off and tighten up the rear mounting point, the one under the armrest portion. Put it back together and has been fine ever since..
    Your notch is very nice btw!!
    1993 SVT Cobra Teal/Black/Roof #95 of 4993 All Original (Show)
    2002 GT (DD)
    1986 GT Convertible (Traded)
    1984 GT Hatch (Sold)
    1985 GT Convertible (Sold)

Alright thanks alot that should help.
    thanks gotta love the four eyes
    1984 Mustang Coupe
    302 h/c/i with t-5

Or the p.o. leaned like hell on it and broke the crap outta it. Mine in the SVO was cracked in 3 places, the dead pedal is loose, and the steering wheel bolts under the turn signal switch were loose as hell. He musta used it all to get in/out of the car. AND the seatback is broke... Need to pull it apart and weld it up.
    -Eric
    85 SVO 1C
    93 LX 2.3 5 spd stripper, no PW, PL, PM, w/ A/C & Sunroof
    92 Harley Fat Boy
    92 LX 5.0 - Long gone and sadly missed
    84 Capri T-Top - gone
    10 GT Premium

86 50CPRI

Quote Originally Posted by etc1006 View Post
    Or the p.o. leaned like hell on it and broke the crap outta it. Mine in the SVO was cracked in 3 places, the dead pedal is loose, and the steering wheel bolts under the turn signal switch were loose as hell. He musta used it all to get in/out of the car. AND the seatback is broke... Need to pull it apart and weld it up.
    haha was he a biggun'?

Chris Wood

Mine was loose several years ago, too much climbing on it to get to the back seat, it hasn't given me a problem in a while though. LOL

If I remember right, the arm rest/console is held down by only a few screws that screw into a metal plate. If the hole the screws go in are worn (due to stress over time), then you may need larger screws or another way to secure it in place.
    1985 Mustang GT 5.0 Holley 4180 5 Sp all stock!
    1957 Willy's CJ 5, 283 small block
    2004 F150 4x4 Lariat
    2017 Porsche Macan
    2017 Porsche Macan GTS
    2013 Porsche Panamera GTS

Back in the day, that console was called the 5th seat.

Between people sitting on it and it being removed and replaced by previous owners for whatever reason, they don't often site tight.

-Mike

thanks for info. i guess ill have to take it apart and find out whats wrong with it. hopefully its not cracked from previous owner
    1984 Mustang Coupe
    302 h/c/i with t-5

Quote Originally Posted by 85md View Post
    If I remember right, the arm rest/console is held down by only a few screws that screw into a metal plate. If the hole the screws go in are worn (due to stress over time), then you may need larger screws or another way to secure it in place.
    That's exactly what I had to do!!!
    1993 SVT Cobra Teal/Black/Roof #95 of 4993 All Original (Show)
    2002 GT (DD)
    1986 GT Convertible (Traded)
    1984 GT Hatch (Sold)
    1985 GT Convertible (Sold)

86 50CPRI

you could always get a thin metal plate, drill the holes to line up and put that in the bottom of the console,with the console sandwiched between. I figure that would be a little stronger as well. I DO need to devise a little plate to re-attach the arm rest, though....

Does anyone on this site not have a center console? ive seen pics before with people removing them and was wondering if anyone has pics? just an idea i was thinking about
    1984 Mustang Coupe
    302 h/c/i with t-5

86 50CPRI

console delete.. yup,they're around. I just saw an 86 notch today in the junkyard with out a console.The ashtray attached under the radio. I will likely go back to get that, as I didn't have any tools today. Sorry,no pics.

Chris Wood

I plan on doing the "console delete" thing when I replace my carpet. Seeing as how I just replaced it a couple of years ago, it won't be anytime soon. I am tossing around the idea of building my own though--just to be different.

that sounds cool. i am interested in doing something similar but i want to find some pics first to get an idea
    1984 Mustang Coupe
    302 h/c/i with t-5

Doing the nasty broke mine...3 times.

Quote Originally Posted by 1984 notch View Post
    that sounds cool. i am interested in doing something similar but i want to find some pics first to get an idea
    kinda going with this now. im going out to work on it in about an hour and ill take some pics. but i picked up the e-brake piece. and am going to use the box that came with my hurst shifter for now.

over the summer im going to use my wood working ability to build a console which includes cupholders, and a ipod docking station
    Build your own dreams or help someone else build theirs!

67 Mustang Coupe-Rusty Parts Car
    79 Mustang Cobra- Garage Art/Project Car 11.3@118mph on a 150 shot
    84 Mustang Gt- Bolt On Fun Car
    97 Wrangler Sport- Lifted on 33's - Trail Rig
    08 Mustang Gt- Bolt Ons, 12.89@109

sweet i cant wait for some pics.
    that will be nice making your own from scratch the way you want it
    1984 Mustang Coupe
    302 h/c/i with t-5

Chris Wood

Quote Originally Posted by 85GTTops View Post
    Doing the nasty broke mine...3 times.
    GOOD TIMES!

Here is a pic of my '86 coupe from before I put a GT console in it... Factory v6 with auto and no console...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

thanks for the pic that gives me a way better idea now on what i want to do. if i remove my center console is there carpet under it like the one in the pic or no?
    1984 Mustang Coupe
    302 h/c/i with t-5

86 50CPRI

yes,the carpet is there,but, it might be trimmed out a little less carefully for the console delete. So ,there may be gaps...

Quote Originally Posted by 86 50CPRI View Post
    haha was he a biggun'?
    I do beleive so.... Either him or his daughter. Oh yeah and the arm rest on the door was off also. I figure from leaning on it too. Judging from how the holes in the door were pulled outward... A little hammer work and all was well.
    Last edited by etc1006; 05-18-2010 at 08:33 PM.
    -Eric
    85 SVO 1C
    93 LX 2.3 5 spd stripper, no PW, PL, PM, w/ A/C & Sunroof
    92 Harley Fat Boy
    92 LX 5.0 - Long gone and sadly missed
    84 Capri T-Top - gone
    10 GT Premium

yeah mine was loose. I had to do the whole bigger screw thing. Actually right no I am in the process of putting together a new center console. Shifter foward will be 86. Shifter back will be SN95. I want cup holders. My firend did it on his 81 foxinator(GT with a termi swap) and it came out clean.
    1986 GT Just a small block ford

I had two issues with mine, actually. The screws were a bit loose, as with many others here. I also had some separation between the upper and lower plastic portions. It's two-piece, and held together by melted plastic "rivets" of sorts; these can break off and allow it to separate. I was able to glue it back together with 3M weatherstripping cement, and it's been rock-solid ever since.
    -- Brian

Have:
    '01 Mustang Cobra
    '74 F-100

Had:
    '84½ GT T-top
    '83 GT T-top
    '85 LX V6 Hatchback