Close

Default Progress on Bivouac restoration

Well it's been a while since I've posted any updates (or pictures for that matter) on my Bivouac restoration, so I thought I'd show you where we are to date.

Stripped the majority of the car down to bare metal, as expected we found no rust, no previous accident damage, and just a few parking lot dings here and there. First set of pictures show the car as we progressed through the stripping, along with some rough shots of filler being used to fill the dings.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Second shots show the car in it's first spread of DP840 primer. Still some minor items to touch up body wise (two more dings we did not see), but otherwise, it's almost read for paint.

Forgot to mention, drivers seat and passenger seat have been repaired (small seam tear), the factory "Y" pipe has been installed along with the factory tailpipe and tailpipe tip, need to fabricate the mid pipe (sans cat. converter) to muffler and that will be another item crossed off my list. As for the new master cylinder (original being bad), it's still sitting in the box awaiting me to either install it or for the potential new owner (long story, but the short side is my son cannot drive a stick due to spinal surgery he had two years ago) to install

More as things progress later this week.

Yours In Fords,

Bill S.

Nice Bill. How did you strip the vehicle? Chem? DA? media blast?

Official FOX-A-QUE Threads
    : 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009

Progress looks good! Keep up the good work (and pictures)

JT
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

Quote Originally Posted by eeprete View Post
    Nice Bill. How did you strip the vehicle? Chem? DA? media blast?
    No chemical strippers allowed as I did not want to chance messing up the side trim. All sanded down by hand (actually a DA with 180 grit ), then dings fixed, block sanded, guide coated, reblock sanded, then primed. We will now guide coat the whole car (both dings we missed the first time around are now delt with), block sand, and stick it in the booth (Friday afternoon most likely unless we get busy).....After, it will sit for the weekend, then I will start reassembly and detailing (wheel wells blacked out, interior cleaned, etc). Once that is done I'll decide what I'm doing with it one way or the other ....

Yours in Fords,

Bill S.
    Last edited by mrmustang; 05-10-2010 at 01:39 PM.

Very cool! Just an FYI, those tail lights will come out in about 5 minutes if you want to paint the filler panel behind the lights and avoid tape lines.
    Chris Lott
    '81 Cobra T-Top - Black
    '85 Dominator GT - Black, 24k miles
    '85 Predator GT302R #150R - Light Regatta Blue
    '85 Predator GT302 Convertible #119 - White w/blue stripes For Sale
    '86 Texas DPS Mustang (Unit # unknown) - undergoing resto

Same for the mirrors, antenna bezel, windshield moldings, chrome rocker molding and key cylinders. Door handles require two rivets per side to be drilled out then might as well pop off the dew wipes to get a complete professional finish. Nice clean car though!
    Last edited by 87gtVIC; 05-10-2010 at 02:29 PM.

FEP Power Member

Bill, have you decided on a color scheme yet ?? The sky's the limit on the possible combinations for that car, unless you are going to go back to pure ctock. Did the Bivouac cars use mercedes tops?

Derald.

Quote Originally Posted by DeraldRice View Post
    Bill, have you decided on a color scheme yet ?? The sky's the limit on the possible combinations for that car, unless you are going to go back to pure ctock. Did the Bivouac cars use mercedes tops?

Derald.
    Yes, back to stock, and yes, a Mercedes top (material, not frame).

Bill S.

PS: As for removing items, yes, I know (you do not get a user name like mrmustang for nothing ), but I chose not to as I am not building a show car, but a nice stock driver.

This is not photoshop enhanced

FEP Member

Wow looks good,are you keeping the trx's?
    86 GT,ALL STOCK

Quote Originally Posted by Fast86GT View Post
    Wow looks good,are you keeping the trx's?
    Yup, like the all stock look of this particular car.

Bill S.