Close

Question How many gauge lights can I add to the headlight dimmer?

Hi all. I added a total of 6 Autometer gauges to my interior, but I'm not sure about adding that many more bulbs to the headlight dimmer switch. I think there's already 5 in the cluster, 1 or 2 behind the AC and 1 at the cigarette lighter. I would be doubling the amount and I'm worried about blowing a fuse regularly. I've seen some posts about LED lights so maybe these would use less power and be a better way to go for brightness too. Holy crap, possibly a win/win!

Thanks,
    Howard

Subscribing. I am interested in this too.

Jess
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.
    1990 Mustang, 545 BBF, C-4 with brake, ladder bars.
    1983 Mustang, 1984 SVO Mustang
    1984 Mustang convertible, v6 swapped to 351
    1986 Mustang GT, 1989 Mustang GT convertible
    1992 Mustang coupe, 4 swapped to 302

No one has input or opinions for me and Mustang-junky? Well I did some quick checking and the fusebox ties the instrument panel lights and the outside running lights together and it's attached to a 10 amp fuse.

I haven't had the clock and warning center attached in my center console for a while and I can't remember if there's some bulbs there too. If so, they would just be getting replaced with the autometer bulbs for total amperage draw. I think the bulbs are a 192 or 191 and they are 0.4 amp bulbs so I would be adding about 3.0 amps to the circuit.

Any opinions or suggestions welcome,
    Howard

The lights for the center section are on the same as the dash lights. Same for the stock radio dimmer wire. I know cause the stock dimmer wire for the stock radio was left exposed and kept blowing the dash lights and the warning center lights.

I would suggest finding out how much amperage the autometer lights need. Then figure out how much amperage your currently using on that light circuit. That should tell you if you can do it. You already know 10 amp is the max you can go.

Edit: So you know the autometer lights will add 3 amps? If so then I would measure the amps already on the circuit you plan to use and add up the numbers. As long as you are under 10 amps the fuse shouldn't blow.
    Last edited by 4eyegt; 05-10-2010 at 11:04 AM.

I replaced all of my gauges with Autometer gauges, and I used the Autometer 164 bulbs that came with them, and I've not had any issues with lighting. I plan to either swap to 194's or LED equivalant because the 164's aren't really bright enough. No burned out wires or anything. I'll take a picture of it tonight, if you like, but here is the pics of my gauge cluster setup:

Hope this helps.

Wow, nice job! Very clean.

Did you use the factory ground wire that was on the original harness that went to the flex circuit or did you run and ground a new wire?

I ran my own chassis ground for the gauges and the lights. They are grounded together, but not to the original Ford ground circuit. The hardest part was finding a pair of factory Ford connectors I could cannibalize to make it plug & play.