Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default where to find 86 mustang GT molding

Hi everyone, I recently purchased an 86 mustang gt project car, and its missing a piece that I'm having trouble finding.

The body molding that is on the drivers side front between the wheel well opening and the front edge of the door. I have all the molding for the rest of the car complete but cant find a source for this piece.

Is anyone currently reproducing this?
    Or does anyone know where to get one?

Thanks in advance,
    -Matt

EBAY
    Craigslist
    Last edited by 85TurboGT; 04-29-2010 at 07:32 PM.

No one is reproducing these pieces yet. You can locate them in NOS form on rare occasion.

The P/N's for the molding pieces you are looking for are:

E5ZZ 16A039-AP LH Front Fender Rear Trim
    E5ZZ 16A038-AP RH Front Fender Rear Trim

If you do find them in NOS form, expect to pay at least $130 per side.

I'm not 100% certain but I believe FMR could be getting these done soon. I will have to talk to Matt about it next time we speak.

I found mine from the junk yard. All side pieces (front, door & rear) for both sides for $9. They arent brand new and needed some work but I found them. Got lucky.
    *Kendra*
    1986 Ford Mustang GT
    -Cobra Upper & Lower Intake
    -Underdrive Pulleys
    -BBK CAI
    -Longtubes, H-Pipe, 40 Series Flowmasters
    -3.55 gears

Thanks for the replies. Yeah i've been keeping an eye on ebay and Craigslist and its easy to find every molding piece except those. Thanks for the part numbers, hopefully those will aid me in my search. I have all the moldings on the passenger side, I'm just missing that one on the driver side. Thanks again.
    -Matt

Nottingham, PA now...from Perryville, MD...From Levittown, PA

expand your search on craiglist with a searchtempest style search program. I have gotten parts (off of the fyi's here) from all over the place too
    My name is Andrew
    1986 GT Convertible- 2nd owner
    1984 SVO-Impound Yard find

Page 25 of CJ Pony parts catalog. Pair of GT moldings for $29.95, 85/86 year. Has anyone gotten those?

I'll try and find it online. I was just looking at it this morning, that's why it stuck with me when I saw this post.
    85 SVO
    94 GT CMC#71
    65 Fastback

85 SVO
    94 GT CMC#71
    65 Fastback

I believe these are what you are referring to:

http://www.cjponyparts.com/product.asp?pn=BSM1P

The molding the OP is looking for is behind the front wheels, not in front of the rear wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by RichV View Post
    They're bad because they don't have the grey inset like the factory. Not sure why they had issues with the original cast.

Oh, gotcha.
    85 SVO
    94 GT CMC#71
    65 Fastback

Quote Originally Posted by 85GTTops View Post
    They're bad because they don't have the grey inset like the factory. Not sure why they had issues with the original cast.
    They're just open. Worse comes to worse you could get them and paint behind the molding that off white color.
    Son of Jleews6, Johnny 5
    85 GT 1C Vert = Grey int. no power options but A/C.
    85 GT 2R Hatch = "Pepper"ALL original sunroof car grey int.,full scale restoration coming one day
    85 GT 2A Hatch = tan int. 2.5" full exhaust, frame connectors, AutoMeter Pro Comp gauges, 5-Lug w/17" Bullitts, converted to FI, 8.8 w/3.55s etc.
    85 GT 1C Hatch = Dads new toy ALL ORIGINAL
    85 GS/RS 4D Hatch = My first capri
    73 Mach 1 - 351 2bbl Auto Yellow w/Tan interior

Thanks but as stated above those arent the right moldings. I'm looking for the one at the rear of the front left fender.

I contacted FMR, they said they should have repros available in a few months.

-Matt

Quote Originally Posted by v8stang289 View Post
    Thanks but as stated above those arent the right moldings. I'm looking for the one at the rear of the front left fender.

-Matt
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/85-86...Q5fAccessories

Those are the moldings in front of the front wheel opening and behind the rear wheel opening. I'm looking for the one behind the front wheel opening, that goes to the edge of the drivers door. But thanks anyway.

Those are the moldings in front of the front wheel opening and behind the rear wheel opening. I'm looking for the one behind the front wheel opening, that goes to the edge of the drivers door. But thanks anyway.
    Oh Ok you mean this one.
    Last edited by kingstang; 06-05-2010 at 05:49 PM.

The ones in front of the front wheen and the ones behind the rear wheel are not the same. But the pic does represent the hard plastic "look" of both.

The remaining moldings are soft with metal inserts for rigidity. They match the same material as the door molding.

Quote Originally Posted by 85GTTops View Post
    The ones in front of the front wheen and the ones behind the rear wheel are not the same. But the pic does represent the hard plastic "look" of both.

The remaining moldings are soft with metal inserts for rigidity. They match the same material as the door molding.
    The one I'm holding is the one that goes between the front wheel and the door edge

Yep, thats the one.

hey...im new to this site. but i found it while lookin for some moldind. just wounderin if yall could help me find some for my car....thanks..Name:  100_5004.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  76.0 KB

-Matt
    These cars will be 25 years old come Jan. That may be that age that was agreed upon for reproducing those parts. Some of the car companies were weird with their reproduction rules especially if there was alot of R&D that went into producing the factory units. They want their money out of the tooling, so they make up silly rules for reporduction. I work in the Automotive Industry in Detroit.

Its going to be a little while but Daniel Carpenter has the mouldings in the works. They recently released the 87 - 93 LX mouldings for the rear of fender and front of quarter, next he said they are working on the 87 - 93 GT door mouldings, then the rest of the 85 - 86 mouldings. After that the 79 - 84 mouldings will be done.
    78 Fairmont 2 door Boxtop
    81 Fairmont 2 door Boxtop (For Sale)
    86 TX DPS Coupe- 5.0 5 speed (Sold)
    80 Coupe- Carbed 4.6
    93 Hatch- 5.0 5 speed
    2011 Grabber Blue Shelby GT 500
    2003 Sonic Blue Cobra coupe (Race car) Sold!!
    2003 Redfire Cobra vert (Street Beast)

WWW.STEELCITYSTANGS.COM

is it fmr thats going to have them soon??
    Last edited by fordfreak; 10-26-2010 at 07:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1986GT2 View Post
    These cars will be 25 years old come Jan. That may be that age that was agreed upon for reproducing those parts. Some of the car companies were weird with their reproduction rules especially if there was alot of R&D that went into producing the factory units. They want their money out of the tooling, so they make up silly rules for reporduction. I work in the Automotive Industry in Detroit.
    Interesting info. In that case, we should be cool. The '85 GT already turned 25...same moldings.
    Ed

"The Dude abides."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast