Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Talking 1980 2.3t mustang project

Picked up a new (to me) car this weekend... its gonna be a bit of work to get roadworthy, but it is going to be worthwhile!

Last edited by Sasquatch; 04-30-2010 at 06:38 PM. Reason: pictures didnt load before

pics of the engine bay to come tomorrow, with hopefully most of the wires and hoses hooked up right. I figure it was a rather decent find for $800 Canadian. needed new spark plugs, two had the electrodes snapped off . timing belt was also out three notches. ignition timing was off. and I have reason to believe that a few vacuum lines have taken permanent leave.
    Short term goal: get it happy and running without hiccoughs, and maybe open the exhaust up a bit.
    Long term goal: Get interior bits matching in colour, paint it, and do propane blowthru.

and just curious, does anybody know any possible way to cut down on my vacuum hoses and still be okay to drive?

as far as I've been experiencing, and from what I'm told the carbed 2.3T is quite sensitive to vacuum system leaks or issues. I'm still trying to get mine running. good luck!

I hope someone chimes in with some helpful info, but for now I'm what ya got

welcome
    1979 Turbo Cobra - work in progress
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=81651

1998 Ford Explorer Sport - Daily Driver

thankee muchly, well I will do some experimenting until I'm told to stop :P
    partly because a lot of the vacuum lines, connectors, sensors, and wires are long gone
    First off, all remaining vacuum lines have been removed, carb cleaned, runs a little worse on the bottom end. Only hitting 3.5psi boost, BUT still got second gear rubber.
    Next step, I'm gonna do a coolant flush, because the water is **** brown, with some oily residue floating around.
    and compression is front to back 140-130-150-135, and getting very strong spark!
    then to weld up the cracks in my exhaust manifold, and maybe smooth the inside of my intake manifold, as it is disgustingly rough.
    Also doing a top end set, and pulling the turbo off to make sure it isnt going to commit suicide after a week of...fun
    and if the **** hits the fan when I decide to up the boost, it shifts amazingly smooth, and has brand new tires, so I can rejuvenate my dead 5.0 car
    good luck getting your lines sorted out, that car definately has potential!

I am also looking to swap in the most simple carb I can find that still will work with a turbo, and the little clearance I have available, but I cant find ANYTHING -pout-

FEP Senior Member

My apologies for squealing like a little girl at your 80 hatch carb turbo Mustang. Awesome car! congrats!

I used to have a orange 79 carb turbo hatch.

thats okay, I believe that I did too
    unfortunate developements today though, clutch cable came apart
    but I did drive it a while today, and am rather happy about that lovely turbo spool!
    just needs the carb to be set up properly, it's overfueling like a son of a gun
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 04-01-2011 at 11:46 AM.

I've heard rumors that there was another turbo 4(non svo) around BC but had no evidence untill now
    82 Capri RS, 5.8L, solid drop mounts, areomotive fuel system, 3" exhaust, ROD six speed, MM torque arm suspension, "mathis" 90 k-member, 04 cobra control arms, h&r springs, koni shocks, m-2300-k, caged, battery relocate

Needs more 3-piece-spoiler. It looks like a pretty nice car. THey probably wouldn't have so much trouble if they weren't draw-thru. Good luck with it. keep 2.3's on the road. I was thinking of goin turbo after I'm done with the N/A stuff.

theres Pics in my Cobra build thread of replacing the framerail underneath the battery tray. mine was toast too
    1979 Turbo Cobra - work in progress
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=81651

1998 Ford Explorer Sport - Daily Driver

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
    I've heard rumors that there was another turbo 4(non svo) around BC but had no evidence untill now
    theres another one in falkland, my friends dad has a turbo-4 cobra, but it needs some work... I think my doing this car up will give him the right push to finish his

and I think I have a line on a spoiler, if I dont just get one of those sexy '93 cobra styled spoilers

and for some reason my tach works whenever it feels like doing so
    clutch cable almost rebuilt, using an adapted one out of my '88 parts car :P
    but MAN is it nice hearing the turbo spool to 3psi, I just cant wait to hit 7!
    and I will definately check your build pics for help along the way lacky01, thanks!
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 06-05-2010 at 03:49 AM.

I have a clutch now, and I just need to figure that stupid carb out. There appears to be a hole where something used to go in at the back, but now its just dribbling gas out onto the turbo. And after idling for a few minutes theres a puddle of gas under my tailpipe...rich much?

well dont feel too bad, you should see my 1980 turbo Coupe...engine was seized so i picked up an 86 2.3 outta a turbo coupe!
    82 Mustang GT
    T5, 8.8
    Holley 650
    Performer 289
    BBK Shorties & H-Pipe
    Waiting for a Foureyed of the month vote!!!

Current Project: 1980 Project Green Machine

1999 Ford Taurus SHO DD

I would love to have a TC.
    Sooo I am rather unhappy, my dad is trying to make me sell the car
    I vow to do everything in my power to change his mind though!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    I have a clutch now, and I just need to figure that stupid carb out. There appears to be a hole where something used to go in at the back, but now its just dribbling gas out onto the turbo. And after idling for a few minutes theres a puddle of gas under my tailpipe...rich much?
    What are ya waitin for? The car to catch on fire?
    Run in a threaded screw wrapped with a little teflon tape.
    Please plug that dike, ay?

There must be a St, Christopher medal in the car or something.
    Last edited by gr79; 06-02-2010 at 10:24 AM.

it hasnt really been driven more than a few feet since that was found., I have been waylaid by other projects, and in my spare time, I have been trying to pull the manifolds and head off, regasket and check it all over, and looking into a different carb. I have no want to burn the car down, trust me.

As for the medal, I have the next best thing... Taz floor mats!

pics to come soon of the repainted valve cover and timing cover.
    and I hate to say it, but if theres anybody in my area interested in buying the car, I am willing to relinquish it IF I get your promise that the car will be finished and this thread continued with the progress
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 06-05-2010 at 03:51 AM.

I will if I can get rid of my jaguar
    82 Capri RS, 5.8L, solid drop mounts, areomotive fuel system, 3" exhaust, ROD six speed, MM torque arm suspension, "mathis" 90 k-member, 04 cobra control arms, h&r springs, koni shocks, m-2300-k, caged, battery relocate

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=96787 <-now advertised in the classifieds
    And I am going to try getting a sn95 k-member for it off of the local reserve. Ill offer a hundred bucks maybe :P spindles, rack, rotors, wheels, etc...
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 06-05-2010 at 03:53 AM.

I'll be up is SA later in the summer. Might be able to pop in and take a closer look at it. Wont know till alter this month

okey doke, I'll continue tinkering with it til then. hoping to regasket the whole top end this weekend... but who knows what my schedule will end up like

If you're going to sell this car, you need to go to the classifieds and start a for sale ad there. OR go directly to private messages or e-mail. Selling/buying in any forum other than the classifieds is not allowed. Thanks.

okay sorry about that, I'll post an ad there.

FEP Supporter

North of Seattle, near the "Four-Eye-Field-of-Dreams"

There is only one carb that will work with that motor....the one that came with the car. Find and stop your fuel leak, don't be too quick to tear down the motor, and as a side note, all vacuum lines and equipment needs to be installed for the turbo to operate properly. Madmax, let me know if you buy the car.

Neil
    Check out the Northwest "4-Eye" BBQ here >>> WWW.NWFOUREYEBBQ.COM

foureyebbq@hotmail.com (to be put on the BBQ list )

Lots of pics of my ride for your viewing pleasure....
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2052657/1

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast