Close

Hybrid View

Default My report: 1983 Mexican Mustang in Dallas

On April 22, I made the journey to South Dallas to take a look at the two Mexican Mustangs. They are at a small used car lot in a fairly marginal neighborhood where I would not want to hang out after dark.

The proprietor was a very friendly, helpful fellow. He was happy to show me the Mexican Mustangs and answer any questions that I had about them.

He said that he has owned them for around four years, having brought them to Texas from Mexico. He or his family used them as daily drivers for a while, and at some point after he opened his car lot a couple of years ago, he decided to put them up for sale.

The owner is aware of the rarity of the Mexican Mustangs up north, and he said that he has been contacted by quite a few collectors. Though he did not say it, I received the impression that they did not sell because they both need quite a bit of work to really look good, so he has been gradually lowering the price.

First up was the '83, which is the gray one that has the Capri front end. As you can see in the photos, the body has quite a few dings, areas of missing paint and other imperfections.

The interior needs help, too. The greenish color of the seats is really ugly, yet interesting at the same time. The speedometer and odometer are in km/hr and kilometers, respectively.

The engine bay too showed a car that has seen a lot of miles, er, kilometers. The proprietor said that both cars had been set up for racing, as evidenced by the aftermarket tachs, and that they still ran really well. He did not have a battery in the '83, so he did not start it for me.

I LOVED the little "Mexico" badges on the quarter panels. Very distinctive. The "High Performance" 5.0 badges were also nifty.

Here are the pics. If anyone has questions, I will try to answer them.

Robert

1986 ascMcLaren SC 5.0 -red
    1985 Capri GS (w/ 5.0) - red
    1985 Capri 5.0L - black
    1984 ascMcLaren SC 5.0 - white
    1984 Capri GS (w/ 5.0) - white
    1983 Capri RS Crimson Cat - red
    1982 Capri RS Black Magic - white
    1982 Cougar wagon
    1982 Mustang GT - red

More pics:

Robert

1985 Capri 5.0L - black
    1982 Cougar wagon
    1982 Mustang GT - red

It's nice to finally see this car up close and personal after seeing it on Craigslist for so long...
    1984 Predator 4S-130
    1984 Predator Cobra 4S-149

Had (in order): 83GL 3.8L notch, 86 3.8L hatch, 83 3.8L vert, 90GT hatch, 86GT hatch, 83GLX 3.8L Vert

Robert

1985 Capri 5.0L - black
    1982 Cougar wagon
    1982 Mustang GT - red

Blog Entries

I told you they were rough. It's been a while since I've seen the '83, it looks worse than I remembered.
    Bryan
    1985 LTD Police Package

Now that I've had my 1983 Mexican Mustang for awhile, thought I'd revive this thread and make some observations about this car.

It looks like it's been repainted. The wide red pinstripe is obviously a later addition.

The "5.0 HIGH PERFORMANCE" emblems are probably (definitely?) after-market additions. Mine are gone, but I can see where they used to be, and it's obvious that they only said "5.0" with no "HIGH PERFORMANCE (no room). The P.O. of my car purchased a pair of plastic "5.0 HIGH PERFORMANCE" emblems that look like the ones on this car. Also, note the location of the emblems on this car is higher than on mine and not aligned the same. I'm guessing that the Mexican-made Mustangs did not have an H.O. option. If anyone knows otherwise, I'd like to hear more about the H.O. Mexicanos, including what years they were offered, any differences from U.S. version.

The Ford oval on the fan shroud probably came from somewhere else (another car?). Mine just has the one on the right corner of the rear hatch.

That foil tag is interesting. I don't recall seeing one like that anywhere on my car.

Steering wheel is for a later year Mustang.

Door panels look like they've been re-done. I'm wondering about that avocado green.

Aftermarket air cleaner. Otherwise, the engine bay is identical to mine, right down to the locations of inline fuel filter and coil.

Of course the 10-hole wheels are not original, since they were not yet available in 83.
    1983 Mexican Mustang 5.0/4-spd
    1982 Capri RS 5.0 H.O.

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by tcruise View Post
    Now that I've had my 1983 Mexican Mustang for awhile, thought I'd revive this thread and make some observations about this car.

It looks like it's been repainted. The wide red pinstripe is obviously a later addition.

The "5.0 HIGH PERFORMANCE" emblems are probably (definitely?) after-market additions. Mine are gone, but I can see where they used to be, and it's obvious that they only said "5.0" with no "HIGH PERFORMANCE (no room). The P.O. of my car purchased a pair of plastic "5.0 HIGH PERFORMANCE" emblems that look like the ones on this car. Also, note the location of the emblems on this car is higher than on mine and not aligned the same. I'm guessing that the Mexican-made Mustangs did not have an H.O. option. If anyone knows otherwise, I'd like to hear more about the H.O. Mexicanos, including what years they were offered, any differences from U.S. version.

The Ford oval on the fan shroud probably came from somewhere else (another car?). Mine just has the one on the right corner of the rear hatch.

That foil tag is interesting. I don't recall seeing one like that anywhere on my car.

Steering wheel is for a later year Mustang.

Door panels look like they've been re-done. I'm wondering about that avocado green.

Aftermarket air cleaner. Otherwise, the engine bay is identical to mine, right down to the locations of inline fuel filter and coil.

Of course the 10-hole wheels are not original, since they were not yet available in 83.
    Ok here´s more info:

The 5.0 badges are not original, Mexican cars had the same as the regular 5.0 badges in the US. The red tape on the side mouldings is an add on.

The H.O. engine was offered only in 1984 as part of the Mexican SVO Mustang package, this car has a 157 hp 302 regular mexican engine, unles it was changed at some point.

Interior: The dash panels are not original or they are painted in black. 1983 Mustangs had the fake wood panels that the 1979-1982 had. Steering wheel is also not original

Ford Oval on the fan shroud is an add on. Air filter is not original. The original is blue and has a single snorkel pointing towards the right hand side of the car (passenger side).

On the hood, where the Capris have the Capri lettering, these cars should have F O R D lettering

Quote Originally Posted by blueandsilver View Post
    Ok here´s more info:

Interior: The dash panels are not original or they are painted in black. 1983 Mustangs had the fake wood panels that the 1979-1982 had. Steering wheel is also not original
    This one statement is not correct. My 83 Burbajo has the same black plastic dash panels as my 82 Capri RS. It looks like black anodized brushed aluminum (very cool look, IMO), but is just plastic.

The 1983 Capri were available with either the fake walnut burland the sportier black look. I verified this by looking at the brochures. I'd bet the same is true of 1983 Mustang.

Sort of related:

My car's door panels have the exact same chrome ponies that were on the Mustang II door panels. I did some research, and it looks like none of the U.S. made ones had these. My guess is that they were left over from the Mustang II production run, and someone decided they would look cool on the Fox!
    1982 Capri RS 5.0 H.O.

Default 157 HP???

Quote Originally Posted by blueandsilver View Post
    The H.O. engine was offered only in 1984 as part of the Mexican SVO Mustang package, this car has a 157 hp 302 regular mexican engine, unles it was changed at some point.
    I must have missed this statement before. The early U.S. Fox 302s were only rated at 140 HP. I don't know what carbs they came with. I assume this covers all of the 2-bbl 2v non-roller engines.

Both my 82 Capri RS and my 83 Mexican Mustang 5.0 (not an H.O.) have the 2150 two barrel carburetor, only difference is that the Mustang has the altitude adjustable version, which should not impact performance.

I'd love to believe that my Mustang has a 157 HP engine in it, but does it really??? Why would the Mexican 302 output 17 more horse power?
    1982 Capri RS 5.0 H.O.

HP rating for US-built (Dearborn or San Jose) 5.0L Capri/mustang:

'79 = 140 HP (49-state) or 143 HP (CA)
    '82 = 157 HP
    '83 = 175 HP
    '84 = 165 HP (CFI/AOD) or 175 HP (4V/T-5)
    '85 = 165 HP (early CFI/AOD), 180 HP (late CFI/AOD), or 210 HP (4V/T-5)
    '86 = 200 HP
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

FEP Super Member 79mustangcobra's Avatar

So that is the original motor? Looks like an earlier Ford engine. No serpentie belt. Is that a points system? Thanks
    1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
    2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
    MCA #70281 - 79-93 MCA Concours Judge
    Proverbs 3:5-6

My Mustang Story
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...71#post1688371

This car has resurfaced again, still at the same dealership. So if you are kicking yourself for missing it you have a second chance!!!

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/3167768101.html

It's actually been posted on craigslist since June of this year. At least that's the first time I had seen it.
    1985 5.0 Coupe - will eventually be hated by Ford purists

i would buy that and store it with my other 83's if i lived closer
    1983 Mustang gt-t-tops,5.0,4spd,all original
    1983 Mustang GT -sunroof 5.0 5sp, work in progress.
    2003 Cobra - 2.8 pulley, headers, o/r xpipe,flowmaster cat back, bf irs brace, h&r race springs, mmcc. SOLD
    2002 Mustang GT - Lt headers,o/r hpipe,slp2 catback,4.10 gears,cai, pro 5.0 shifter,sct2 tune. SOLD
    2001 Focus zx3 - Daily Driver
    1988 Bronco XLT - 5.0 -Sold
    1983 Mustang GT - (my first car) sunroof, 306,srod 4sp, 3.55 gears, Lt headers, o/r hpipe, flowmaster catback. SOLD