Close

FEP Member

Default 85 GT, black carpet and grey interior??

Hey guys I'm wondering if anyone has a 85-86 GT with grey interior that they have put black carpet in place of the original grey carpet? If anyone has done this please post pics because I'm interested in how it looks with the grey and black trim.
    85 GT...work in progress

Heres some crappy pics of mine (keep in mind my interior wasnt fully put together)

Son of Jleews6, Johnny 5
    85 GT 1C Vert = Grey int. no power options but A/C.
    85 GT 2R Hatch = "Pepper"ALL original sunroof car grey int.,full scale restoration coming one day
    85 GT 2A Hatch = tan int. 2.5" full exhaust, frame connectors, AutoMeter Pro Comp gauges, 5-Lug w/17" Bullitts, converted to FI, 8.8 w/3.55s etc.
    85 GT 1C Hatch = Dads new toy ALL ORIGINAL
    85 GS/RS 4D Hatch = My first capri
    73 Mach 1 - 351 2bbl Auto Yellow w/Tan interior

Yes, its exactly what I have, but also put a black dash pad on it, then also black seats. Don't have any pics at the moment, but can get some.

Blog Entries

I tried, but just couldn't bring myself to do it, so I ended up ordering SVO charcoal carpet instead. Still going to have to put matching carpet on the door panels though.
    Bryan
    1985 LTD Police Package

FEP Member

That's exactly what I planned on doing! I am however changing the piping on the seats to black as well, the red piping is worn and makes the rest of the seats look horrid. I'm also planning on putting in a black headliner, I just want to seperate the grey from the black, I think it gives it a little more pop. Keep the pics coming, looks great!
    85 GT...work in progress

Speaking of gray interior carpet for 85's what color is the stock carpet. I see a lot of places list it as charcoal but it sure seems like it would be light gray. I ordered light gray ACC mats for mine a few year back and they were a good match. Of course it's faded too.

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by 85GT-79FJ40 View Post
    Speaking of gray interior carpet for 85's what color is the stock carpet. I see a lot of places list it as charcoal but it sure seems like it would be light gray. I ordered light gray ACC mats for mine a few year back and they were a good match. Of course it's faded too.

Well I don't know what aftermarket manufacturers are calling the color, but I call it light grey.
    85 GT...work in progress

Blog Entries

I believe the color is called Oxford Gray.
    Bryan
    1985 LTD Police Package

Quote Originally Posted by 85GT-79FJ40 View Post
    Light Gray/Oxford Gray color code 852 from ACC is what is correct.

Charcoal (897) is what is correct for SVO's.

Official FOX-A-QUE Threads
    : 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009

Black is great for a sporty look, and while it shows fuzz and grass clippings, it doesn't show that nasty grease and stain type stuff that lighter carpets get.

Downside: Black can make an otherwise large looking interior feel closed it -- especially a black headliner or door panels. It's a sensory thing, of course the interior doesn't actually get smaller.
    - 1965 Mustang Conv. A-Code 4 spd.
    - 1966 Mustang Conv. 4 spd
    - 1969 Mustang Mach 1 - M Code
    - 1986 Saleen Mustang #26 (Saugus Speedway Pacecar)
    - 2005 Mustang GT S197
    - 1957 Ford Thunderbird Dusk Rose

* Current

My wife put black carpet in her gray interior 96 mustang convert including on the door panels. It definitely changes the feel of the interior.

It does change your perspective while driving the car. It feels a little lower kind of like the car's top is lower, more sleek, without decreasing your head room. It's kind of hard to explain the difference. I do like the contrast in the interior. It helps break up all the gray.
    Dave

If common sense was common wouldn't it just be sense?

1983 Capri L T top 5.0 efi aod
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4