Close

View Poll Results: What is your opinion on the Capri 83-86 bubble back hatch?

Voters
146. You may not vote on this poll
  • I like it!

83 56.85%
  • It's not my thing.

31 21.23%
  • I use to think it was ugly but I am all better now!

32 21.92%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I am surprised that I missed this "discussion" years ago too.

I voted, but wasn't in the majority!

To me if the Capri was born with the Bubble Deformity then you accept it and learn to love it! A little plastic surgery with a nice spoiler really helps out and improve the looks too!

I prefer the 79-82 Capri with the flat hatch, but that is because I personally really like the early Capri tail lights and although I am generally an aero package kind of guy, I like the lean muscular look of the early Capri without the RS air dam. The Bulge hood scoop, the 3 piece rear spoiler and nothing else!

The only change I would make to my 82 RS if I could would be the front bumper cover below the belt molding would be more like the 85/86 GT with the fog lamps. Nothing crazy, but just a bit fuller on the chin to give the illusion of a bit lower stance up front. Besides I love integrated fog lamps.

Oh and before everyone flames me for my first comments remember that I do own a 1984 RS that when I bought it had a flat hatch on it! I went thru the exhaustive hatch enlargement surgery to return it to it's original bubble back glory!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Although I've always like the Capri with either hatch, I think the car suffered from too much similarity to the Mustang which the bubble hatch helped change. Those of us that are close and personal to the car would never make that mistake but that's not the case with people not so familiar. I also think that Ford always wanted to keep a link to the European heritage from the original Capri. When they introduced the bubble hatch the immediate comparison was to a Porsche 944 or 928 thus solidifying the attempt to feel more European.
    Shawn

Currently in the stable:
    83 Capri RS Crimson Cat
    90 7 UP Mustang
    87 Mustang GT
    83 Porsche 928S
    69 Thunderbird Landau
    65 Cadillac Calais 4DR Hardtop
    02 Thunderbird

Quote Originally Posted by Dadsccat View Post
    ...... ........I also think that Ford always wanted to keep a link to the European heritage from the original Capri. When they introduced the bubble hatch the immediate comparison was to a Porsche 944 or 928 thus solidifying the attempt to feel more European.
    It went much deeper than just the Capri line in 83/84 Shawn.
    Look at the early T.Cs and SVOs......very european styling in both of these. Then three years later the "Aero Mustang" appeared with the European front ends and it has progressed to a more european look all the way up through today in just about everything except for some Chrysler Cars!
    I have trouble distinguishing a Taurus from a Kia, or a Hundai, or a Toyota, or an Accord, etc until I get close enough to see the badging.
    Ron
    I never seem to get the nut that holds the steering wheel fixed

Quote Originally Posted by BLK BRD 88 View Post
    It went much deeper than just the Capri line in 83/84 Shawn.
    Look at the early T.Cs and SVOs......very european styling in both of these. Then three years later the "Aero Mustang" appeared with the European front ends and it has progressed to a more european look all the way up through today in just about everything except for some Chrysler Cars!
    I have trouble distinguishing a Taurus from a Kia, or a Hundai, or a Toyota, or an Accord, etc until I get close enough to see the badging.
    Ron
    I can see what you're saying but I do think the European concept for the Capri was there from the start because of it's German legacy. Jack Telnack was the guy who brought in the aero look in the eighties which definitely gave Ford styling a European feel. Thunderbird, Taurus, Tempo and Mustang as well as their Mercury counterparts all felt this influence.
    Shawn

Currently in the stable:
    83 Capri RS Crimson Cat
    90 7 UP Mustang
    87 Mustang GT
    83 Porsche 928S
    69 Thunderbird Landau
    65 Cadillac Calais 4DR Hardtop
    02 Thunderbird

FEP Member

Bubble it is!

Proud owner of 86 t top bubble back. Bubble all the way.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dtmilsap View Post
    proud owner of 86 t top bubble back. Bubble all the way.

Sent from my samsung-sm-g900a using tapatalk
    jealous!!!!!!
    conmech - aka Marshall
    Pending build-1983 Mercury Capri RS NOT staying as it left the showroom floor......
    Sonic blue pearl, sand beige, netted halos, FR500 wheels and shiny under the hood.

I think the bubble gives these cars their distinct look. I remember looking at a brand new one on 1986 and wanting it so bad but I was 16 and knew I could not afford the insurance LOL.
    Keep it!

When I was in high school whenever my friends and I saw a nice 83 - 86 Capri we would always say to it's owner "Nice car! Too bad it's a bubble butt!". That would usually earn us a passionate two word response.

I think it's ok though because we really did love the cars deep down and in the end I put the bubble butt back on mine. Still a CRAPI though.

Name:  2017-06-25_13.41.30.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  95.5 KB
    Last edited by BLUECRAPI; 03-07-2018 at 10:35 PM.

I missed the poll the 1st time around as well.

I bought an '85 Capri RS 5.0 5spd back in 1993. It was the 1st car I ever bought and the 1st thing I ever borrowed $$ to buy. To be truly honest, I wanted a Mustang more, but never could find one in the condition and price I wanted at the time. I ended up putting a flat hatch with three piece spoiler on it a couple of years later. After tearing up the 2nd 7.5 rear and the t-5 needing rebuilt, it sat for a couple of more years while I got married and started a family. About 1998 a young guy offered me more money than I could pass up as a young married guy with a family and I sold it. Regretted it from the moment I watched them tow it away!
    Finally, after a good 2-3 yrs of looking, back in October of last year I found a really good deal on an '84 Capri RS 5.0 5spd on craigslist and made the 17hr roundtrip to scoop it up. She still has her bubble butt and I love it! I have more mature taste now I guess..lol.. Only thing I want to do is add the ASC Mclaren spoiler when $$ allows. Long live the bubble butts!
    '79 Fairmont Futura
    '79 Mercury Zephyr wagon
    '83 LTD Wagon - future Mustang "Sport" Wagon
    '84 Mercury Capri RS - 5.0 5spd
    Owner of Victory Engines and Machining, LLC
    g2G

Wow this is an old post! LOL

Glad to see it is still getting votes!

Just to let everyone know, I was in the use to hate it, now I love it crowd. When my Dad first gave me my 84 RS when I was 21 my first intention was to change to a flat back hatch and put a Saleen wing on it. After a few years I started to like the way it looked and loved that it separated it from the Mustang.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Hemlock View Post
    Ok folks, I wanted to do a poll on the bubble back hatch on the Capri. I will use my car as an example. I have seen several replies on these message boards with people trying to encourage our Capri owners to ditch the bubble back hatch on their 83-86 cars. I wanted to do the poll just to see how many people still have hang ups about the bubble back and also to try to encourge our 83-86 Capri owners to keep their cars intact! Here it is folks, Let the debate begin!

I hope the post is not in the wrong place
    1984 RS 347 Capri, To many car parts to list, check out my car build page here for the story on my car and a full parts list/setup!:

My RS in Action

They make me think of Garths car in Wayne's world. Pacer?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I am OK with the Bubble but I probably would not buy one that had it. I prefer the 79 to 82 Capris. I have not seen one in a long time but my fave combo is an 82 Capri RS with t-tops in the gun barral gray exterior colour. Does anyone on here have one and also a picture to share?

Quote Originally Posted by 5pointoh View Post
    I am OK with the Bubble but I probably would not buy one that had it. I prefer the 79 to 82 Capris. I have not seen one in a long time but my fave combo is an 82 Capri RS with t-tops in the gun barral gray exterior colour. Does anyone on here have one and also a picture to share?
    I have my 82 RS T-top Capri, but its the Dark Blue Metallic color or was/going to be. Undergoing a full restoration as I type this.

Name:  2017-09-19 12.14.00.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  121.3 KB

I also recently picked up a basket case 1981 Black Magic T-top Capri.

Name:  2018-09-02 12.31.47.jpg
Size:  171.3 KB

Oh and here's my 84 RS T-top Capri that I returned to Bubble Back Deformity

Name:  036.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  121.2 KB
    Last edited by wraithracing; 11-02-2018 at 05:50 PM.
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Very nice! I love the wheels on the blue one there. Very classic mesh Enkei/Riken style back in the day. I was hoping to get the SVE Series 3 wheel (a modern and bigger version of the classic Enkei/Riken wheel) for my 82 GT but apparently they will not fit unless I have a 5 lug SN95 brake conversion. Unfortunately I have the 5 lug SVO brake kit on mine which apparently limits my wheel selection.

It looks like you prefer the 79 to 82 Capri hatch as well. I think it makes the car look more aggressive and can I say "manly" lol compared to the round bubble hatch. Yes, I remember the good ole Black Magic Capri.

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    I have my 82 RS T-top Capri, but its the Dark Blue Metallic color or was/going to be. Undergoing a full restoration as I type this.

Name:  2017-09-19 12.14.00.jpg
Size:  121.3 KB

I also recently picked up a basket case 1981 Black Magic T-top Capri.

Name:  2018-09-02 12.31.47.jpg
Size:  171.3 KB

Oh and here's my 84 RS T-top Capri that I returned to Bubble Back Deformity

Name:  036.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  121.2 KB
    Packrat.

Quote Originally Posted by Davedacarpainter View Post
    Packrat.
    No I just need one for every occasion.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller