Close

View Poll Results: What is your opinion on the Capri 83-86 bubble back hatch?

Voters
146. You may not vote on this poll
  • I like it!

83 56.85%
  • It's not my thing.

31 21.23%
  • I use to think it was ugly but I am all better now!

32 21.92%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I did entertain switching to a flat hatch years ago but... I am all better now!

I don't mind the hatch as it gives the car a slipperier look.
    The hatch is indeed more aerodynamic than the flat hatch.

As an owner of both hatch styles, I appreciate them both equally.

In my opinion if the car has the bubble back leave it a bubble back. They do grow on you and before you know it you'll be all better to.
    Dave

If common sense was common wouldn't it just be sense?

1983 Capri L T top 5.0 efi aod
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang Marty View Post
    I don't mind the hatch as it gives the car a slipperier look. I don't like the tail light treatment of the 83-86 Capri. That hatch with the ASC wing and early tail lights look good.
    I would love to get a ASC wing for my car but I haven't seen any for sale in a long time I am keeping my eyes open though!

Robert
    1984 RS 347 Capri, To many car parts to list, check out my car build page here for the story on my car and a full parts list/setup!:

My RS in Action

Neither here nor there

It's all in the wing baby.

Quote Originally Posted by Capriman86 View Post

Yup, that looks much better.

Jess

I love the bubble, it makes the Capri stand out fr. the Mustang. A lot of people said they didn't like my bubble, but now the asc wing is on, they like it.

The wing definitely finishes the hatch. Once I finish the rest of the work I will try to find one.
    Dave

If common sense was common wouldn't it just be sense?

1983 Capri L T top 5.0 efi aod
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4

FEP User

I once saw a capri that was a hybrid SVO mustang/capri, and not to offend anyone here with SVO's but in my honest opinion, thats the way Ford should have went building that car. Oh my god that car made me fall in love with Capri's. Bought a capri right after seeing that car.

they are very truly unique
    and yes i love the bubble back

plus with bubble you can fit more stuff back there

i like the 83-86 taillights but they looks 100x better with the clear plastic covers to smooth everything up
    own:
    1986 Mustang GT convertible 5-spd (#2)

previously owned:
    1978 Mustang II hatchback,t-top, auto, 302
    1985 Mustang GT hatchback, auto, t-top
    1986 Mustang GT hatchback, 5-spd, hardtop
    1986 Mustang GT convertible 5-spd (#1)
    1993 Mustang GT convertible 5-spd triple black
    1998 Mustang GT hardtop, auto

I too was a bubble hatch hater. Twenty three years ago after riding in a friends 87 LX 5.0 (I was bitten by the bug) I began to search for an 85 GT with a 5spd (wanted a carb, easier to modify than fuel injection who knew). Another friends family owned a car dealership and knew I was looking. One day he called me and told me he had 2 cars that fit my needs one was an 85 Mustang GT, the other an 85 Capri. I told him on the phone that i'd come and look at both and asked what the colors were. He told me the GT was burnt orange and the Capri was pewter. I told him if the Capri was silver and had " that goofy hatch" I did'nt want it. He said come in and drive them and then make the decision. I drove the Capri first and was hooked when we got back to the dealership I gave him asking price ( which was actually 2000.00 less than theGT) and haven't looked back since. Also when comparing the front end looks the Capri wins hands down. That flat nose and huge airdam coming at you with four eyes gleaming is one of the most nasty front ends I have ever seen. Personally I think the front end is more distinctive than the bubble. I am now in the process of installing an ASC wing I purchased from Hank at ASC McLaren.com. I talked to him at Carlisle last year and ordered one a few weeks later paid 350.00 for it. I'm hoping to have it painted and installed in time for Carlisle, but I still haven't figured out how to remove the original lower trim with out bending it or breaking the glass, being real careful. Silver bubble hatch Capris rule.

Quote Originally Posted by nvr2low View Post
    im not a fan of the bubble or the tails on the capri, but after my post of putting and 82 front on an 86 coupe i think you are going to find this board telling you to keep it since it is even more rare.

I think your car would be perfection with a normal LX/GT hatch and 93 cobra tails, but that is my personal oppinion.

Is this your way of saying no matter what the outcome of the poll is here, people don't like the bubble back hatch?

If I did this poll on a die hard Mustang board I am pretty sure you would be right, because these are the same guys that would call the Capri an "imitation Mustang" in the first place. So the reasoning behind their decision would be skewed as well.

All I can do is base my opinion off of what I hear on the street when I am driving my car to shows and cruising. As with anything there are going to be people out there that like it and people that don't. I am just saying the opinion on the Capri hatch is 10X more friendly now, then it was back when the cars first came out, whether you are willing to admit it or not.

Robert
    1984 RS 347 Capri, To many car parts to list, check out my car build page here for the story on my car and a full parts list/setup!:

My RS in Action

Personal thought's here, and likely to start a debate but.......

I much prefer the bubble over the flat back and if I could fit a bi-wing the SVO would have one. Also increases the cargo space

As far as front ends go, i much prefer the capri nose to the 79-84 Mustang nose although I think the 84-85 recessed light SVO front end is the meaneast looking.
    Ausie, Aussie, Aussie
    Oi, Oi, Oi

84 1C SVO "Blackie the Wonderbeater" (DECEASED!!!!)
    84 9L SVO T-TOP (under restoration)
    84 1C SVO T-TOP (Deceased)
    86 2R SVO (roller, future pro-tourer)

Quote Originally Posted by Capriman86 View Post

indeed it is.

Official FOX-A-QUE Threads
    : 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009

I like both. I happen to like the flat hatch a bit better, but the bubble is cool as well. They each look good for their styles. I like the bubble better with the spoiler, and a front air dam, but i like the flat hatch with no spoiler, and no air dam.
    79 Capri RS
    341 rwhp,348 rwtq 11.20@127

1939 Pontiac Deluxe 6. 73,xxx original miles. Barn find. Currently the secomd owner.

2013 Focus ST
    2012 Taurus SEL
    1997 F350

I love the bubble hatch!! To me, the hatch adds to the uniqueness of the Capri.
    John

1986 SVO 1C
    1993 Cobra

Banned

I hate bubble hatches. It completely takes away from the body lines. And it just looks bad!

i almost traded mine off once, but i snapped out of my stupor...

gotta get me one of those wings though...

gotta be truthful, still don't much care for the taillights (dont freak out guys, im not gonna throw them in the trash...)
    I used to have superhuman powers, but my therapist took them all away.

84 mercury capri gs, 3.8 to 5.0 swap, weiand intake, edelbrock 600, longtube headers, c4 then an aod then another c4, 3.73 geared 8.8 with worn clutches, gt sway bars, boxed control arms.

spare engine and doug nash 4+1 waiting to go in. A4 based supercharged 306 in the near future...

Quote Originally Posted by downtime! View Post
    So early taillights will fit the lines of the late body OK? There's a guy here locally with a mint set of tails for sale, and I always liked the look of them better. Hmmmmm....
    Mike's 79 Capri w/ bubble
    79 Mustang Coupe - Jade Green Metallic - 5.0 5Sp - Purchased 2006
    17 Mustang Convertible - Triple Yellow Tri-Coat - 3.7l Auto - Purchased 2020
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    01 Mustang - 3.8 Auto True Blue - Oct 2001- Apr 2022 RIP
    85 ASC - McLaren 5.0 SC - ASC White - 5.0 CFI Auto - Owned 2004 - 2016
    98 Mustang - White - 3.8 5pd - Owned 1998 - 2001
    84 Mustang SSP - White - 5.0 5sp - Owned 1993 - 1998
    84 SVO - Charcoal - 2.3t 5Sp - Owned 1989 -1992
    79 Mustang Ghia - 5.0 Auto - Owned 1981 - 1986
    68 Mustang Coupe - 302 Auto, Yellow - Owned 1980 - 1981

I actually would prefer a flat hatch but have no real intentions of trying to find one or swap my bubble out.

Quote Originally Posted by varn82 View Post
    I like both. I happen to like the flat hatch a bit better, but the bubble is cool as well. They each look good for their styles. I like the bubble better with the spoiler, and a front air dam, but i like the flat hatch with no spoiler, and no air dam.
    That's pretty funny chris, as I feel exactly the same way about the hatch corresponding to the airdam (or lack thereof).

Official FOX-A-QUE Threads
    : 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009

I can hardly believe that I just voted on an almost eight year old poll.
    I did not see that it was from years ago, but since I missed it back then, I am glad that I finally got to put in my opinion on this continuing discussion.
    I am also glad to see that my vote was in the majority column!
    Ron
    I never seem to get the nut that holds the steering wheel fixed

Quote Originally Posted by BLK BRD 88 View Post
    I did not see that it was from years ago, but since I missed it back then, I am glad that I finally got to put in my opinion on this continuing discussion.
    Ron
    Thats OK, the argument never gets old............
    86 Capri, 5.0, 5Spd, A9L QH/BE, 47 lb Inj PMAS 3" MAF, Single T44 Turbo, Front Mount IC, TW170,
    Stock Cam, Explr Intake/TB, 1.7 Rockers, CF dual friction clutch, 3" DP, 2.5" full Exh, 3.27, 11.932 @ 115.78
    84 LTD, 331-10:1, TW170/Exprl Intake, 47 lbs inj/80 mm LMAF, Full Duals, Quarterhorse, Vortech 7PSI, Lentech AOD, 5 lug Mk VII brakes/rear, Eibach Sway bars, Cobra HB (dads ride, but I fix it )

Quote Originally Posted by OX1 View Post
    Thats OK, the argument never gets old............
    Did you notice that I referred to it as a "continuing discussion", not an argument..........LOL
    Ron
    I never seem to get the nut that holds the steering wheel fixed

Did you notice that I referred to it as a "continuing discussion", not an argument..........LOL
    Ron
    No, I didn't notice, but that sounds better.............
    86 Capri, 5.0, 5Spd, A9L QH/BE, 47 lb Inj PMAS 3" MAF, Single T44 Turbo, Front Mount IC, TW170,
    Stock Cam, Explr Intake/TB, 1.7 Rockers, CF dual friction clutch, 3" DP, 2.5" full Exh, 3.27, 11.932 @ 115.78
    84 LTD, 331-10:1, TW170/Exprl Intake, 47 lbs inj/80 mm LMAF, Full Duals, Quarterhorse, Vortech 7PSI, Lentech AOD, 5 lug Mk VII brakes/rear, Eibach Sway bars, Cobra HB (dads ride, but I fix it )

Ron
    Lol.... I did the same. LOVE the bubble hatch. I want one. A t-top would be awesome.....
    conmech - aka Marshall
    Pending build-1983 Mercury Capri RS NOT staying as it left the showroom floor......
    Sonic blue pearl, sand beige, netted halos, FR500 wheels and shiny under the hood.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast