Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by David Claflin View Post
    ...but I could never come up with a way to stop it from sucking oil into the pump.
    Oil catch-can in the middle, with a one-way drain back to the oil pan? Not sure how that would affect vacuum, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzie View Post
    Would having a tall(er) valve cover with baffles in it prevent / cut down on the oil mist? Or is the mist an inherent side effect of using 2 breathers?

Mike, are you getting any mist on your setup?
    I have the taller covers with baffle out to clear rockers. I put wristbands around my breathers to soak up oil but then I had oil getting pulled through the TB and down the Intake tube. I just got tired of cleaning up oil and realized for a NA setup its just not necessary IMO.
    85 GT Vert' (CFI converted to EFI), 306 TFS 170's, Systemax II, Lunati cam, 8.8 w/3.73, Ford Racing T-5, AFM Powerpipe
    317 rwhp 304 rwtq

I put the baffles on my tall valve covers and they cleared my large scorpion RR. Helped out a lot.
    1985 Mustang GT Mild 331 4bbl 5 spd, 1985 SEFI LTD LX AOD.
    Cardomain: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/565542
    Mid Size LTD LX Facebook page! http://www.facebook.com/groups/233213650060739/

Redneck Riviera, Fort Walton Beach Florida

Quote Originally Posted by SVT Rob View Post
    Oil catch-can in the middle, with a one-way drain back to the oil pan? Not sure how that would affect vacuum, though.
    I had an oil seperator, but it was still drawing oil. WHen I built the engine i knew I would put a pump on it, so I hooked the vacuum cleaner to the motor and listened for leaks, got them all sealed up. THen I turned off the vacuum, and let it sit for 30 minutes and it held the vacuum for that time. I think after awhile the sealants and some bolts holding gaskets just loosened up and let it have some leaks. The leaks let the pump draw air in and allowed more oil to be drawn into the pump. Most of the drag engines that run pumps typically don't stay together for several years and 30K+ miles.
    THere are a lot of places where air gets sucked in, typically at the junction point of the heads/intake/block, around the harmonic balancer bolt, around the flywheel bolts, if the bolt holes on the crank go all the way through, through the dipstick tube where the dipstick sits in it, and the oil fill cap. THe fill cap on fox mustangs are two piece and it can suck air through that as well.
    Last edited by David Claflin; 08-12-2012 at 02:35 PM.
    1985 LTD LX, Mach1 brakes, 17" Mopar police car wheels. 302, T5, 4.10s
    1984 LTD station wagon, with 84GT nose, some might remember it as the old Dugan Racing station wagon.
    1986 FHP coupe, stock shortblock, TW heads, Holley SMII intake, 4.88, T5Z
    1990 Red LX, ported AFR heads, TFS-R box upper, weenie cam, 1 3/4 long accufabs, 3" exhaust, T5, 4.56

Ah, ok. More to running a vacuum pump than I thought.

I built this breather system a few years ago for my GT. The push on style breathers would always leak oil over the valve covers and eventually onto the exhaust. Not if I just pootered around but only if I'd give it a good blast through the gears. Works totally awesome.

Black 1985 GT: 408w, in the 6's in the 1/8 mile
    Bimini Blue 1988 LX 5.0 Coupe 5-speed, Hellion turbo, zero options
    Grabber Yellow 1973 Mustang Mach 1: 351c, toploader
    Black 2012 5.0 GT, 6-speed, Brembo brakes, 3.73's
    Wimbledon White 1966 F-100 Shortbed Styleside, 390, Tremec 3550, FiTech EFI

Quote Originally Posted by Zap's 85 GT View Post
    I built this breather system a few years ago for my GT. The push on style breathers would always leak oil over the valve covers and eventually onto the exhaust. Not if I just pootered around but only if I'd give it a good blast through the gears. Works totally awesome.

I like that setup. Would you mind giving some more info on it? I would be interested in duplicating it.

The push on style breathers would always leak oil over the valve covers and eventually onto the exhaust.
    What have you done to stop this?
    85 GT convertible

I set mine up this way again yesterday. After test running it last night I have no issues at all, nor did I when it was set up this way before.

Here's my version.
    Last edited by 86capriASC; 08-13-2012 at 09:37 PM.
    Mike

1986 ASCMclaren #108
    stock short block, Victor EFI, 75mm TB, 3.08's, Borla cat-back, slot style MAF conversion, Gt-40p heads, TFS1 cam, 80lb injectors, 69mm turbo, Moates Quaterhorse, E85. 501/584 @ the rear wheels

Quote Originally Posted by SVT Rob View Post
    I like that setup. Would you mind giving some more info on it? I would be interested in duplicating it.
    I bit and pieced it together. I had -12 bungs welded onto the valve covers and the Moroso catch can. Then bought the fittings and hose to finish it off. They now sell catch cans with the fittings already on them but they were not available when I built mine. I modified the a/c accumulator bracket to fit the catch can. Made it look like it was supposed to be there.

Quote Originally Posted by Puter View Post
    What have you done to stop this?
    ? The push-on style breathers were what I tried to use originally. This setup is what I needed to go to, to stop that from happening.

hey guys i know this is a fairly old thread but the above pic is the same way i was advised to setup my 5.0 with a paxton and systemax efi intake .. i was told to block the rear pcv hole in the rear of the intake and just run large hoses (5/8 or bigger) hoses from the valve covers to a catchcan with a breather ..

how do you fill oil into the engine? i guess 12an is big enough to stick a funnel in and fill up.

im using factory ford cobra valve covers that have a metal baffle plate under the filler neck.. im trying NOT to modify the covers with any welding etc.. In my case, do you think using a valve cover grommet in the filler necks (with 3/4" ID) and push in a 90 deg heater hose size connector (3/4" OD) to plumb hoses to the catch can rather than using AN screw in fittings and welding etc.. ? or will this blow out?

like this

this way i can pull out and fill with oil in the filler neck.
    I cant find a standard breather valve cover cap with a 5/8 or larger outlet otherwise id just get that.. they all seem to be smaller 3/8 and it was recommended for me to get something large (like in the pic posted above to the catchcans)

does that sound about right .. this means theres no pcv valve .. and based on some comments above how does fresh air go in? .. oh and i think i read with this system you plug up the pipe on the TB?

EDIT: just as i typed this and after a week of searching i found this:

http://mr-gasket.com/engine-componen...v-fitting.html

although it has a PCV fitting.. which i wonder if i could remove it and just use it as a standard breather and vent out via the 5/8 tube to the catch can .. this would fit well into my filler neck ..
    Last edited by resto86; 02-15-2013 at 07:49 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123