Close

Thread: 1985 SSP LTDs

Default 1985 SSP LTDs

I asked this on another site but got minimal response, so I figured this would be the best place. Just out of curiosity does anyone know how many '85 (or around there) LTD SSPs were built? I guess these were counted separately from the LTD LX models right (IE, an SSP is not just an LTD LX with a 140 certified speedo?). What else might the SSP cars have had that would have been unique to them?

Does anyone have any pictures of them, or has anyone restored one back to in-service?

Thanks in advance.
    Chris Lott
    '81 Cobra T-Top - Black
    '85 Dominator GT - Black, 24k miles
    '85 Predator GT302R #150R - Light Regatta Blue
    '85 Predator GT302 Convertible #119 - White w/blue stripes For Sale
    '86 Texas DPS Mustang (Unit # unknown) - undergoing resto

FEP Senior Member

i can't help, but i would also like to see some pics of them, were they just like the ltd lx's or diff.

Idon't know how many were built but what I have observed is the police/taxi LTDs had a trans oil cooler, an adapter where the oil filter attaches to the block for a water cooled oil cooler, 10" drums in the rear (although the LTD LXs had 'em too), a heavy duty alternator, and a steel battery tray which could accomidate a group 24F battery. I have an LTD cop car battery tray in my '78 Fairmont wagon, bolts right in and great for installing the larger battery. Bad for corrosion resistance.

Some police LTDs has rubber floor "carpet" rather than carpet. The Auxilary gauge panel above the glove box was also an option on the police car.

The police LTD did not have a Tach like the LTD LX.

Whoops, one more thing: The police LTD has a heavy duty clutch fan - this unit works very well on a certain '78 Fairmont wagon.

Dean T
    Proud owner of the one and only Friggin' Futura

single key lockset?

Dean and nelz are both correct.
    85 Ford LTD LX: Four eyes and Four doors

EFI swap, AFR 165 heads, 5-speed conversion, Cobra brakes, etc.

Good information guys!
    Chris Lott
    '81 Cobra T-Top - Black
    '85 Dominator GT - Black, 24k miles
    '85 Predator GT302R #150R - Light Regatta Blue
    '85 Predator GT302 Convertible #119 - White w/blue stripes For Sale
    '86 Texas DPS Mustang (Unit # unknown) - undergoing resto

ive got a 85 ltd ex police car....also has a colum shifter not the floor shifter....and above the radio and ac/heater controls it doesnt have the clock it has a delete panel.....has rubber floor mat not carpet, one key lock set, had a trans oil cooler, an adapter where the oil filter attaches to the block for a water cooled oil cooler, 10" drums in the rear which parts stores say only came on the wagons of that year, 140 mph speedo and no factory tach......it came from hillsborough county fla (still has the property of tag on door sill with id #) and has orange reflective tape on inside door sills and trunk lid

The '84/'85 LTD LX also had 10" rear drums.

The LTD LX was such a low production item that it confuses the parts store clerks with look-at-the-computer skills only.

Dean T
    Proud owner of the one and only Friggin' Futura

Quote Originally Posted by Dean_T View Post
    The '84/'85 LTD LX also had 10" rear drums.

The LTD LX was such a low production item that it confuses the parts store clerks with look-at-the-computer skills only.

Dean T
    mine is a non lx but has 10 inch brakes....

Quote Originally Posted by sirhc2004_192 View Post
    mine is a non lx but has 10 inch brakes....
    yours is an ex police car, no?
    1984 Mustang GT - BUILT 351W 5spd
    1985 LTD LX - 306, 3" exhaust, 87+ Front brakes
    1985 LTD Wagon - 5.0 5spd project
    1985 LTD LX - 347 Stroker 5spd, Cobra 5-lug brakes, 17" Cobra R's....

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyed4life View Post
    yours is an ex police car, no?
    yea its an ex county car but not the cop car with the decals on it it was i guess an un-marked car

Quote Originally Posted by 02Z06 View Post
    I asked this on another site but got minimal response, so I figured this would be the best place. Just out of curiosity does anyone know how many '85 (or around there) LTD SSPs were built? I guess these were counted separately from the LTD LX models right (IE, an SSP is not just an LTD LX with a 140 certified speedo?). What else might the SSP cars have had that would have been unique to them?

Does anyone have any pictures of them, or has anyone restored one back to in-service?

Thanks in advance.
    heres a little bit i found just now

In the middle in the 1984 model year, Ford introduced a performance LTD called the LX. It came standard with the high output 5.0 L CFI V8 engine, four-speed automatic transmission with overdrive, 600 lb-in front and 270 lb-in rear coil springs, front and rear sway bars, 10 inch front disc and 10 inch rear drum brakes, and a 3.27:1 rear gear ratio with a Traction-Lok differential. The LX model was the only LTD to have a center console with a floor-mounted shifter for the transmission, and a tachometer in the instrument cluster. Roughly 3,260 LXs were produced from mid-1984 to 1985. The Mercury version of the LX was the Marquis LTS and was available only in Canada in much smaller numbers. A LTD (fox body) cop edition was as also made, roughly 800 were produced. Notable for its bigger sway bars and brakes, it also included bench seats with an automatic trunk opener located underneath the steering wheel. They were a factory option and most were equipped with light bars and police accessories, although some came without.

found this site , lots of LX police info http://home.earthlink.net/~jopeterson/

I'd like to address your Q abt LTD SSP production figures ....... I'd prefer to start a new thread on this topic, but I cant figure out how to start one, so i'll answer the Q here, and see where this goes ... there is information out there, that only 800 SSP LTD's were made ( for 84 & 85 ) but based on all that I know, this figure just cannot be correct ( it has to be be way more than that ). An FEP mbr posted; 1984 LTD V-8 production figures at 6,528 and 1985 at 8,998 ( Chicago Assembly, the only place the v-8's were made ), and if you add the total, and subtract off the 1984 & 1985 LTD production of 3,260, you get a figure of 12,266 V-8 LTD's for 1984 and 1985 ( which wld have to be the 84-85 LTD SSP { police } vehicles ).

So my conclusion, based on what evidence I have is ……. that Ford made 12,266 SSP LTD's in 1984 and 1985, or they made less than that, ( and more than 3,260 LTD LX's ), but the ttl comes out to 15,526 ( that is 15,526 V-8 LTD's, in 1984 & 1985 )

There was ( is ) no difference btwn the SSP vehicles, in their VIN - digits - and the LTD LX VIN's ( except that the police vehicles tended to all have high production #'s, ( i.e. last 6 digits of the VIN ) whereas the LTD LX has randomly distributed production #'s, since the police vehicles were all made at the end of the production year, thus insuring they had high VIN - sequential - #'s )

There are many differences btwn the the LTD LX and the SSP cars ( many or most of which were listed on the replies to your post ), but the most unique difference to me, is that the SSP cars ( in std trim; i.e. ones not converted to patrol cars or black & whites ) are just so ordinary looking, they are virtually just like a STD V-6 LTD of the era in exterior appearance, they are so ttlly plain in exterior appearance, but if you like undercover or sleeper type cars, they "rang the bell" in that category. The ones that were converted to B&W's or patrol cars, then they looked like whatever those police agencies wanted them to look like, & are so easy to see that they were patrol cars ( i.e. they were rather obvious )

The LTD LX, on the other hand, had alot of appearance details, that set them off from a STD 1984 or 1985 LTD sedan, ( 1984 less so, 1985 more so )

LTDLX7

To start a new thread, simply click on the little blue box in the upper left corner that says "new thread" This box appears on the list of threads page. Not sure what you'd call it, just click this link, and you'll see it.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63
    80 Fairmont Futura 2.3 4spd (soon to be 2.3T 5spd)
    86 Turbo Coupe 2.3T 5spd
    89 Mustang 2.3T 5spd (WRL Racer)

www.RaceWRL.com

I know this is an old thread, but I need to chime in... one difference my 85 SSP has is a second fuel pump. It has the standard fuel pump in the tank, and a second fuel pump on the frame in one of the exhaust bays, with a separate fuel line feeding it. That line runs to a very large second injector in the back of the throttle body. The pump only kicks in when you stomp it.