Close

Default RS Capri fender logo/Graphics Express

This post is by no means a bash against Graphics Express. They are a great company and I would highly recommend them for car decals. Dan was a really nice guy and extremely helpful and honest about his product.

I am currently trying to fix several problem areas with the RS decals on my car including the stripes on my Air Dam. My RS fender logos are not in terrible shape but they do have a few small scratches in them. The edges are also getting brittle and are now starting to slightly break away in some places. I am sure they will eventually need to be replaced. Thinking in advance, I bought a set of RS logos from Graphics Express and got them in the mail yesterday. I knew the light orange color in the logo would be darker then the factory color because I had already discussed this issue with Dan. What we hadn't discussed was the size of his logo. If I was repainting my entire car this wouldn't be an issue at all because his decals look great but seeing as I am just trying to replace my old RS logos, I can't use them. The new logos are about 10-15% smaller then the old Factory logos on my car. With paint 26 years old, decal ghosting would be a major issue for sure. I am guessing the RS Fender logo must have changed sizes between the 1979-84 models. I am most likely going to need to have a custom set made to replace the old RS logos.

Robert
    1984 RS 347 Capri, To many car parts to list, check out my car build page here for the story on my car and a full parts list/setup!:

My RS in Action

Blog Entries

The ghosting may not be as bad you think, especially on a white car. Do you have the old ones off yet to see how bad it really is? Color sanding, or possibly even just a quick rubbing compound application (with some good quality liquid compound) might take care of it. When I did the fender decals on my '76 Camaro RS (yellow car with the black two tone), there was a slight amount of fade, but I was able to use liquid compound (I believe it was 1500 grit, maybe 2000) and a buffer to make it all but invisible.
    Bryan
    1985 LTD Police Package

Quote Originally Posted by downtime! View Post
    The ghosting may not be as bad you think, especially on a white car. Do you have the old ones off yet to see how bad it really is? Color sanding, or possibly even just a quick rubbing compound application (with some good quality liquid compound) might take care of it. When I did the fender decals on my '76 Camaro RS (yellow car with the black two tone), there was a slight amount of fade, but I was able to use liquid compound (I believe it was 1500 grit, maybe 2000) and a buffer to make it all but invisible.
    I don't dare take the old ones off til I know I have something to replace them with. They aren't in that bad of shape yet. When I bought the stickers from Graphics Express I was just figuring I would get some before they stopped making them like the lower RS stripes they stopped making. I would also like to keep the new sticker the same size as the old sticker on the car as well. Gonna try to do a rubbing of the sticker on paper today to see if I can get a exact size one made somewhere.

Robert
    1984 RS 347 Capri, To many car parts to list, check out my car build page here for the story on my car and a full parts list/setup!:

My RS in Action

Blog Entries

I have a complete set of NOS original decals (in blue) I can measure for you. I've got to make a conference call in about 5 minutes, but after that I'll see what I can do.
    Bryan
    1985 LTD Police Package

Blog Entries

Call got postponed, here's what I came up with -

The decals are 7 23/32" long, from the top left point of the R to the top right point of the S -

They are 2 15/32" tall -

The top row of blue is 31/32" tall, followed by a 3/32" space, the middle blue is 11/32" tall, followed by a 3/32" space and the bottom row of blue is 31/32" tall. All measured on my trusty Crafstman 20' tape measure, read by some 47 year old eyes! LOL! Hope this helps.
    Bryan
    1985 LTD Police Package

I went out and measured the decal on my car and this is what I found.

not a huge difference in size but enough to where I would want to make one the factory 1984 size with a orange center stripe closer to the original factory color

What year are your decals for?

Robert
    Last edited by Hemlock; 04-08-2010 at 04:21 PM.

My RS in Action

Blog Entries

83-84 as near as I can tell. They're identical to the one that were on my '83 RS.
    Bryan
    1985 LTD Police Package

Quote Originally Posted by downtime! View Post
    83-84 as near as I can tell. They're identical to the one that were on my '83 RS.
    Thanx a bunch downtime! for all the info on these decals

I am starting to think they were increasing the RS fender decal size by 1/4 inch every year up to 84.

Did the 83 RS have a hood logo or just the fender logos?

I know my car has the factory decals because my Dad bought the car new in 84

Robert

My RS in Action

Blog Entries

Just the fender logos. Only thing on the hood was the Capri lettering.

It shouldn't be too hard to have the ones you bought resized. Take them to any good sign shop, they'll be able to scan them and scale them which ever way they need to.
    Bryan
    1985 LTD Police Package

I was doing a little research, and found this thread. How did you make out with the graphics, especially the "RS" logos. I'm doing a paint change on my 79, and am trying to figure out what to do for the logos/stripes. I just got a "RS" logo in the mail today from Graphics Express. It looked great, except I noticed the size difference when I held it up to the logo on my 83 parts car... My 83 doesn't have a hood logo like my 79 did. I am wondering if the size is correct for the hood though. I'm thinking that the fender logos were definitely larger though. Just wondering how you made out. Thanks!

When I had the new stripes made for my air dam I had the company make me a new RS logo for the fenders as well in the same color I had the strips done in. I have not put them on the car but I used the measurements off the old stickers to have the new ones made, hopefully they are right LOL

Robert

My RS in Action