Close

View Poll Results: Would you put OEM liftgate louvers on an 85 GT?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

59 84.29%
  • Maybe

2 2.86%
  • No

9 12.86%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by 85GTTops View Post
    If you do install them, make sure to buy fresh pair of shocks with a rating of 10# higher than what you are currently using. Because the louvers add weight you'll wind up getting a nice konk on the head with out them.
    Now that's a good piece of advice. I've already had enough noggin' bonks.

Actually, the struts have been replaced. I'll check the rating.
    67 Cougar
    85 Jalepeno Red GT
    85 Bright Red RS
    88 Smoke Grey GT Hatch
    88 Bright Regata Blue GT Hatch
    89 Bright Regata Blue GT Vert

Quote Originally Posted by GTJerry View Post
    Now that's a good piece of advice. I've already had enough noggin' bonks.

Actually, the struts have been replaced. I'll check the rating.
    You ain't kidding. I have scars all over my head from that blasted latch.

Quote Originally Posted by 85GTTops View Post
    If you do install them, make sure to buy fresh pair of shocks with a rating of 10# higher than what you are currently using. Because the louvers add weight you'll wind up getting a nice konk on the head with out them.
    How? Mine are aluminum and probably wiegh under 8lbs. The plastic ones are even lighter. Probably

Quote Originally Posted by Jax Rhapsody View Post
    How? Mine are aluminum and probably wiegh under 8lbs. The plastic ones are even lighter. Probably
    Try this test. Take a regular hatch and throw a 10# weight on it when it's open. See what happens.

They look great!
    Project "WinBacK" 1986 LX Hatchback
    - CA car, 5.0 w/5 speed
    - Cobra 17x8.5's + Modded Mach1 Chin Spoiler + 83-84 Hood & Scoop/85-86 "Blackout"+ FMS Mass Air Kit+ MM Clutch Cable & Quadrant + Fiore Cable Adjuster + MM SFC's+ Wild Rides "Battle Boxes" + Explorer Intake, Converted TB & Injectors, 70 mm Mass Air Meter + BBK Ceramic Shorties + 2.5" Bassani O/R X-Pipe & Cat-Back Exhaust w/ 3" Tips + 3L27 w/ Carbon Fiber Clutches​(out of retirement) + Pistol Grip Shifter + 99-04 GT Front/00 Cobra Rear Disc Brakes

Sorry to say the look does not look OEM.
    Have
    1982 Mustang GT 2nd owner
    1999 Dodge Viper GTS Canadian model 2nd owner

Had
    1966 GT 350
    1967 GT 500
    1980 Fairmont Futura Turbo 2nd ownerhttp://www.cardomain.com/ride/3818362

I have louvers on both of my 84-1/2 Anniversary cars, keeps the inside way cooler on those hot sunny days and keeps the UV rays off the interior carpets and seat backs.
    GS

FEP Power Member

Louvers are a classic add on for the four eyed foxes...

I have them on my 85 GT and I think they make the car (in my opinion). I bought them in 1985 when I bought my car and they have never been removed.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=81486

Scroll to my reply (9th post) and there will be some pics of my 85 with louvers. working on adding them here..
    1985 Mustang GT 5.0 Holley 4180 5 Sp all stock!
    1957 Willy's CJ 5, 283 small block
    2004 F150 4x4 Lariat
    2017 Porsche Macan
    2017 Porsche Macan GTS
    2013 Porsche Panamera GTS

Jerry,

Are these gonna fit? They do appear to be for a capri.. not sure if bubble hatch matters but I'm really curious how the fit is on the standard rear window. Do yours have the prop rods for lifting during cleaning?

Post some pics when they're on!!

SI
    Smile, it's an easy thing you have complete control over that takes less work than the alternative.

Have:

'82 GT T-top #24 Red x 2

Quote Originally Posted by SilentInsomnia View Post
    Jerry,

Are these gonna fit? They do appear to be for a capri.. not sure if bubble hatch matters but I'm really curious how the fit is on the standard rear window. Do yours have the prop rods for lifting during cleaning?

SI
    Yeah - funny thing. The louvers for the GT hatch would definitely be diffrent than those on a Capri bubble hatch. But the louvers are for the GT - they just put the instructions together using a Capri as an example.

Thanks, everyone, for your comments and voting. I appreciate those who commented about not putting them on this car, too, as I was interested in that perspective as well.

I will probably install them later in the summer. I'll post pics when it's done.
    67 Cougar
    85 Jalepeno Red GT
    85 Bright Red RS
    88 Smoke Grey GT Hatch
    88 Bright Regata Blue GT Hatch
    89 Bright Regata Blue GT Vert

Quote Originally Posted by SilentInsomnia View Post
    Jerry,

SI
    The original aluminum louvers have those proprods. If they have them they might be original. Tag search Odd aftermarket parts and check out the Total Recal louvers for the Bubleback Capri.

Back in the day I had an aftermarket set of louvers on an '82. Louvers had two small holes punched in each slat on the window side into which small rubber bumpers, like those under the fuel door, could be placed. These prevented contact with the glass and stopped any rattling when everything was buttoned down.
    If I recall these louvers came from Sears and Roebucks, and attached to the glass.

We found a set of NOS? Cragar brand louvers years ago that I put on my wife's 91. They have a strip of foam that runs down the length of them so they don't rub. Been on there for years and the trim is not rubbed anywhere.

Looks aweful... I guess I would buy that from you just so you don’t have to look at them anymore

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12