Close

Default '79 Cobra Value/other questions

Hey everyone,
    I'm about to be a '79 cobra owner with a 84 302 and 5 speed transplant in it. The car is in decent shape, and I am going to give him a bike worth around $3,000 for it. Is this the going rate for these cars? I cannot find the value anywhere around for the '79 cobras.
    Also, I was looking for some sort of vin decoder to verify that it was a cobra. Can anyone help with this?
    This is my first post, and I must say that I come from the land of GM's, but fox bodies have always held a place in my heart. They're just awesome.
    Thank you in advance for your help!

The vin will not tell you if it really is a Cobra optioned car. You have to look for the buck tag that is mounted on the front of the radiator support. It is a small metal tag that has build codes stamped into it. Look for the letters CBR and that will tell you it is a real Cobra.

Thank you. And what about the value of one that needs some work but runs well and doesn't need too much restore besides a paint job and a dashboard?

Value is always up to the buyer.
    I would need a lot more info to give an opinion.
    What wheels are installed and their condition, interior condition and does it have Recaro seats, any signs of rust in the floor pans or frame rails? We already know the engine and tranny are not original, has any other mods/changes been done to it?
    Last edited by kj_80Cobra; 03-22-2010 at 08:01 PM.

79 Cobras didn't come with recaros but the rest of 80Cobra's advice is sound. Wheels are important. TRX rims are pretty easy to come across, but tires and center caps not so much. If it has the TRXs are the tires good? A set of new 390 mm Michelin tires from Coker are in the thousands of dollars. How are the center caps? Good ones are worth their weight in gold. If you have good tires and caps, you have a 3000 dollar car if all it needs is a paint job and an interior conditioning. Yes, check the buck tag, make sure the dash and interior door cobra emblems are present, and save the Cobra if you can. Based on experience, I estimate there are less than 100 road worthy 79 Cobras left. I went to the 40th anniversary show in Nashville with thousands of Mustangs and there was not one 79-81 Cobra. The Cobra IIs had a better showing!!!! That is a wee bit embarrassing for me.
    Last edited by Sellis1012; 04-01-2010 at 11:09 PM.
    83 Mercury Capri RS, 91 Mustang Gt 'vert, 04 CO Mach 1

sellis. i totally agree with you on that number. i have been to MANY car shows, and have only ever seen one other cobra. i saw it and basically freaked out, my dad basically told me big deal he sees one everyday (meaning mine)... it ruined my mood. lol. in the next few weeks there will be 101 roadworthy 79 cobras =P

if you buy that car and it has decent trx rims/tires. my advice would be to sell them and buy some form of other wheels. those tires are just too hard to come by. also make sure you check the frame and floors for the notorious cracking and rusting. (under battery tray, behind ps wheel, and the floors by the pedals and the crack under the seat bolt.) if you need any information or pictures shoot me a message and i'll be glad to take some, my car is still very well apart so if you want pics now would be a great time
    Build your own dreams or help someone else build theirs!

67 Mustang Coupe-Rusty Parts Car
    79 Mustang Cobra- Garage Art/Project Car 11.3@118mph on a 150 shot
    84 Mustang Gt- Bolt On Fun Car
    97 Wrangler Sport- Lifted on 33's - Trail Rig
    08 Mustang Gt- Bolt Ons, 12.89@109

I have seen a total of five 79 mustang cobra's here in central to northern ohio in the last 5 years, and 3 of them we own.....and one of them we traded for a 84 gt convertible and a beater car....not too many running around.

I have been to several national shows, and I can count the number of 79-81 Cobras I have cumulatively seen on one hand. The examples we have from members here are some of the best remaining anywhere.
    Bob in Lebanon, TN
    79 original owner six cylinder coupe
    MCA Gold Card judge for 3rd Generation cars

Venomous Moderator Hissing Cobra's Avatar

Welcome to the board!

I'm not too sure of how many of the 17,579 Cobras remain from 1979 but I can tell you this, I've owned mine for 10 years now and I've NEVER seen another '79 in person. I've seen many fine examples on the internet and the ones on this site represent the best of the best from what I can tell. I have seen two 1980 Cobras at New England Dragway. One of them has a built 351W and it runs mid 11's and the other one has a Pontiac 400 in it but the guy who just bought it wants to return it to Ford power.

If you get this Cobra, cherish it! You may never see another one again!
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    420 rwhp/380 rwt (New Motor)
    11.49 @ 121.86

306/T-5/4.30's (Old Motor)
    307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

Yeah, I was contemplating selling mine, then i thought to myself that I would never see another one again....