Close

Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    FEP Member

Man, this is a awesome rare piece of history. You are doing a great job. Do you have any idea how many of these cars were made?
    Keep up the great work.

Quote Originally Posted by m81mclaren View Post
    Ok had a few hours today and have made some progress. Carb has been gone through by a nearby shop I was referred to by a great guy who races pintos. Before putting it back in I decided to pull the valve cover and do some inspecting. It looked pretty clean with nothing appearing out of place or broken. I cleaned up the cover and cleaned off the cork gaskets that were dry and brittle with some obvious leakage. Should I replace with something other than cork? Is there a 1 piece rubber version that works here? Also going to replace all the hoses and if I can find them all the plastic tabs and vacuum tees I broke! Suggestions on a good place to order from that can match things up?
    Ford valve cover gasket, 88TC spec:
    #F57Z-6584-A
    This is the v/c gasket to use. It is a rubber-coated, steel framed gasket that is reusable and holds its shape, unlike the crappy floppy Fel-Pro blue gasket, with the stupid metal inserts, and infinitely better than cork.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Thanks as far as I can tell 9 total made. Mine is marked #003p. Not sure if the p is prototype or production as there was at at least 1 magazine car similar in color but diff BBS and a trunk mounted gas tank. I have a list I've been making with most identified but there a few gaps.

Also thanks for the part# Chuck!
    Current FEP:
    1980 M81 McLaren Carb Turbo 2.3T #003P ... IT'S ALIVE after a 22 year slumber thread!

Past FEP:
    1986 Capri GS 5.0- very missed but in goods hands
    1985 LTD SSP- quick little fox 5.0

Ok had a few hours today and have made some progress. Carb has been gone through by a nearby shop I was referred to by a great guy who races pintos. Before putting it back in I decided to pull the valve cover and do some inspecting. It looked pretty clean with nothing appearing out of place or broken. I cleaned up the cover and cleaned off the cork gaskets that were dry and brittle with some obvious leakage. Should I replace with something other than cork? Is there a 1 piece rubber version that works here? Also going to replace all the hoses and if I can find them all the plastic tabs and vacuum tees I broke! Suggestions on a good place to order from that can match things up?
    pics from the day...it was 95 out and I forgot to eat as I whittled away for 5 hours. Slow progress but progress nonetheless.

Before

After

Inside

Anything look out of place? Suggestions on anything to do while I'm in here? Do the cam lobes look ok and is that scoring ok? 23k on the odo.
    Last edited by m81mclaren; 08-22-2017 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Update away from Photobucket
    Current FEP:
    1980 M81 McLaren Carb Turbo 2.3T #003P ... IT'S ALIVE after a 22 year slumber thread!

Past FEP:

That cam looks very dry. You may want to put some oil or break in lube prior to starting it to help avoid wiping a lobe.
    Dave

If common sense was common wouldn't it just be sense?

1983 Capri L T top 5.0 efi aod
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by mustangxtreme View Post
    That cam looks very dry. You may want to put some oil or break in lube prior to starting it to help avoid wiping a lobe.
    This.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

After 2 tries I finally got the new VC gasket per Chucks specs. Yesterday I was able to Lube the camshaft, installed the very nice new rubber gasket, installed the freshly rebuilt carb, replaced the water to turbo lines, new fuel filter, matched up and installed all but 1 vacuum line. Spent 2 hours making the valve cover shine that can now barely be seen under all the hoses! I trickle charged the battery which is now ready and will borrow a timing light to make sure it is spot on (spec anyone?). I'll try to fire this again tonight after work. Crossing fingers that the exhaust smoke is eliminated from overly rich settings...but not counting on it.
    Last edited by m81mclaren; 08-22-2017 at 06:16 PM. Reason: photobucket move
    Current FEP:

Past FEP:

Nice Progress...I'd say 10° for timing as a start. I know the newer cars like up to 17° but 10 for a start.

Thanks n20! Anybody know what this blue electrical connector goes to? It sits right next to the carb by the valve cover...
    Last edited by m81mclaren; 08-22-2017 at 06:20 PM.
    Current FEP:

Past FEP:

FEP Power Member

It does not plug in to anything on mine.
    Kendal

Thanks Kendal.
    Current FEP:

Past FEP:

Still smoking but now almost pure white now. Will get a video up tonight for feedback. With the carb rebuild it fires up as soon as I twist the key and idles great! Time for some deeper detective work so on the list next is timing double check, a radiator hydrocarbon test and the compression test. Need to borrow or rent the equipment to do this as my tool chest is very limited. That should narrow the focus of what's broken but a head-gasket leak is back to the likely suspect.

Been working on my Callaway turbo rabbit gti which had me distracted a bit the last few months but I'm back on track with the M81.
    Current FEP:

Past FEP:

Can you see bubbles in the radiator when the car's running? That's another sign of a blown head gasket.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

No bubbles in the radiator Mike and the oil has always been very clean.
    Current FEP:

Past FEP:

Small updates. Working on interior cosmetics to feel like I am making progress again! Mounts for the Recaro's are here, drilled, and test fitted.

The new proper grade hardware to install them are finally in

so hoping the rain lets up this week when I have an hour of garage time. To install the new headliner I have to remove the rollbar. To remove the roll bar I have to drop the gas tank again I previously tested what i though twas the original radio but seems it does not fit properly without dash removal so that's on hold. I can install my new Dashes Direct Gen3 dash cover so that's on the list too.

Small steps but goal is to complete the interior this month., fix the engine once and for all April/May and take it to GoodGuys June 4. Given my track record it's more than a long shot but I've got to have something to shoot for!
    Last edited by m81mclaren; 08-22-2017 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Photobucket move
    Current FEP:

Past FEP:

Glad you're still at it....
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

FEP Power Member

Thanks as far as I can tell 9 total made. Mine is marked #003p. Not sure if the p is prototype or production as there was at at least 1 magazine car similar in color but diff BBS and a trunk mounted gas tank. I have a list I've been making with most identified but there a few gaps.

Also thanks for the part# Chuck!

#10 Orange one showed up in California. I have always heard 9 and 10, looks like 10.

later Kendal
    Kendal

hi Kendal! Is that the one in San Jose or other? Details link?

FEP Power Member

Remember the guy I told you about and he would not let you look at his cars. Looks like he had two, a race car and #10. He died and they were sold at an estate sale. I got an e-mail in January from a guy wanting to sell one but he never got back with me when I e-mailed him back. I think it was #10. Here is a pic of the McLaren plate. I do not have the vin number.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Kendal

Quote Originally Posted by KCoker View Post
    Remember the guy I told you about and he would not let you look at his cars. Looks like he had two, a race car and #10. He died and they were sold at an estate sale. I got an e-mail in January from a guy wanting to sell one but he never got back with me when I e-mailed him back. I think it was #10. Here is a pic of the McLaren plate. I do not have the vin number.
    Cool I'm local if it helps with comms. Would like to see this thing!
    Current FEP:

Past FEP:

FEP Power Member

Cool I'm local if it helps with comms. Would like to see this thing!
    I will let you know if he ever gets back in touch with me.
    Kendal

Sorry double post
    Last edited by Tony Corley; 07-22-2016 at 02:31 PM.

Default Car 10

What would be a fair market value for that car?

FEP Power Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Corley View Post
    What would be a fair market value for that car?
    I am too cheap to comment on what I think it is worth. They did get back with me and I also talked to the guy in the picture that bought the property the cars were on. I have the #2 back up race car that is pictured. Last I heard he wanted $80K for it. The #1 street car is still for sale in Indy too. He only wants $70 for it.
    Kendal

FEP Senior Member

I saw one show up for sale in the Facebook Foxbody Addicts page yesterday. He wouldn't specify a price for it, but supposedly redone recently and for sale now.

Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast