Close

Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

I think the filler neck is specific to the early cars. I know i had to replace mine when i went to a later tank. I think i still have the one out of the capri but it is probly in as bad shape as yours. It was pretty rusty but I have a habit of keeping things.lol.
    80 Capri RS turbo(svo in capri clothing)
    86 SVO
    "Doh, Why do my actions have consequences?"

The one line under the air cleaner lid goes to what I think is the egr(UFO looking thingy) or to the carb.
    -Currently Searching for "The One"

Quote Originally Posted by cipher View Post
    Good luck on finding the tank. I went ahead and made a late model tank fit in my wifes 80 capri. I called the local radiator shop and they quoted me 80 to clean my old tank. Might be an option for you.

Mike J.
    EDIT! I just decided to rebuild mine instead. I'll have the tank cleaned, coated and painted and hopefully salvage and rebuild the ne
    Filler neck gasket appears universal (edit for 79 and early 80 cars a 74-78 style filler neck is required not this listed below!)
    http://www.cjponyparts.com/fuel-tank...4-1981/p/FPS3/

Also the sending unit lock ring here: http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/LRS-9307A
    Looks like the sending unit is obsolete (anyone have a part # for this?!) so I will need to now hunt for a replacement if mine does not work.

I cannot locate a vapor valveon my tank so this may be unnecessary: http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/LRS-9076A

Looks like the only thing that attaches to my tank are the 2 fuel lines and the sending unit.
    Last edited by m81mclaren; 01-22-2013 at 07:02 PM. Reason: fix part number for 80 neck grommet
    Current FEP:
    1980 M81 McLaren Carb Turbo 2.3T #003P ... IT'S ALIVE after a 22 year slumber thread!

Past FEP:
    1986 Capri GS 5.0- very missed but in goods hands
    1985 LTD SSP- quick little fox 5.0

Ok wow it has been a while so time for a quick update. The gas tank will be done next week, carb is off to be rebuilt by someone with experience, new neck seal is here and OEM fuel lines/clips installed. I'll install the new fuel pump and rear end gasket/cover and fill with fresh fluid this weekend. Hunting for replacement Recaro LS's but no luck so far (or for the last 5 years for that matter) so if you know someone with a set for sale let me know! I hear there is a tranny/shifter bushing that goes bad on the 4sp. but not sure based on the diagram what folks are refferring to. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
    Current FEP:
    1980 M81 McLaren Carb Turbo 2.3T #003P ... IT'S ALIVE after a 22 year slumber thread!

Past FEP:

The tank is back and rebuilt see pics below. Need to heal my back a bit before I attempt the install. Carb & fuel pump are last remaining issue standing in the way of me and turbo spool!
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Current FEP:

Past FEP:

Killer car, but it would be easier to put humpty dumpty back together again I think.

Ha ha no kidding. I've got time and another mustang to have fun with so no big deal!
    Current FEP:

Past FEP:

Did this car ever fire up?
    "Never Trust a Bunny!"

The Great Sir Twitch

MERCURYS is what I'm bout. MERCURY CrAzY

Not yet. I have spark and fuel. It wil crank like it wants to start but just won't. I'm thinking after all this maybe something is wrong with the distrubutor. I'll try again next weekend when I can get a neighbor to help. You know I will post se pics and detail when I do!
    Current FEP:

Past FEP:

FEP Senior Member

have you tried spraying a little ether down the carb throat? if it starts then you have a fuel delivery issue. if nothing then i could be a spark issue.
    Neal

Quote Originally Posted by neald View Post
    have you tried spraying a little ether down the carb throat? if it starts then you have a fuel delivery issue. if nothing then i could be a spark issue.
    Yes I have. Keep the suggestions coming!
    Current FEP:

Past FEP:

How is the ignition timing set? You might want to advance it a little to get it started, and then dial it in once it's running. Sometimes it's more retarded than you think, and then will give you fits trying to get it started.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

FEP Senior Member

What happens with the starting fluid? No fire at all? starts and stalls? Is your timing way off, or wires not in correct sequence?
    Neal

when u get it started ill race ya in my 79 turbo cobra lol

did this thing fire up? if not replace all vacuum lines. i think i still have some original ford carb turbo manuals plus a complete carb turbo set up and parts.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowwolffe View Post
    did this thing fire up? if not replace all vacuum lines. i think i still have some original ford carb turbo manuals plus a complete carb turbo set up and parts.
    You are too funny with the replace all the vacuum lines; you should see the rats nest of lines! Several are disconnected with no indication of where they go. Ether just makes the car turn over faster but not really fire. I'm going back to basics and check firing order and advance the distributor a bit. Will report back Saturday.
    Current FEP:

Past FEP:

Well I finally found the ever elusive Recaro Gen 1 LS's in great condition in original fabric! Now I need to find the correct ford mounts for the seats and install them. I also ordered the NOS radiator overflow tank from NPD to button up the cooling system.
    The sun is out and the work begins again!
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by m81mclaren; 03-31-2011 at 01:16 AM.
    Current FEP:

Past FEP:

Quote Originally Posted by m81mclaren View Post
    Well I finally found the ever elusive Recaro Gen 1 LS's in great condition in original fabric!Now I need to find the ford mounts and get them installed. I also ordered the NOS radiator overflow tank from NPD to button up the cooling system.
    The sun and out and the work begins again!
    Great score on the seats

The RS Turbo I just picked up is rusty and dirty but appears to have most of the Vac. lines still hooked up . I will get some detailed pics of it all next week , hope it helps .
    Last edited by FloridaGrabber; 03-30-2011 at 10:39 PM.
    JP
    79 Capri RS 2.3t / 4spd (project)
    79 Pace Car 2.3T / 4spd (driving project)
    79 Pace Car 5.0/auto ( project)
    84 GT White 5spd T-Top (project)
    86 Tan/Tan 3.8/auto (daughter's project)
    87 LX vert Red 2.3/auto
    07 4.0 Grabber Orange 5spd (Modified Mustangs Nov.07 Cover)

FEP Member

silly question but here goes. when you said right at the beginning the plugs were oily and you cleaned them, did you actually replace them? how do you know you have spark? I have seen fouled plugs fire outside of the engine but they wont fine under compression. just a thought.
    65 fastback blue
    66 gt fastback red
    66 vert red
    84 capri rs t top red
    85 capri rs t top red
    85 capri GS 5.0 the unicorn. lol
    97 cobra vert blown pacific green
    07 shelby gt 500 vert 40th pkg #267 black
    14 gt500. Ingot/ blk. Svtpp glass roof, cover. Getting modded

Quote Originally Posted by freakshow12 View Post
    silly question but here goes. when you said right at the beginning the plugs were oily and you cleaned them, did you actually replace them? how do you know you have spark? I have seen fouled plugs fire outside of the engine but they wont fine under compression. just a thought.
    Thanks for the thought. Years ago I pulled the plugs and squirted oil in the cylinders while in storage . I replaced those plugs with new ones and changed the oil and filter before attempting the start again but no luck. Last year I was back at it and walked through the activity in this thread including bypassing the gas tank and checking for spark by pulling a plug while cranking. I verified I had spark and then pulled the plugs and they were dirty/oily. I cleaned them with gas and very light sanding to make sure I had clean metal. I checked the cap & rotor and all looked great and verified the plug wires were in the right order. Plugs are cheap so I'll put in another set before my next start attempt so great suggestion since I've never actually experienced fouled plugs. My goal is to get this old girl running enough to diagnose how deep I need to go into the motor to fix the smoking issues. It previously ran very well but that was many years ago.
    Current FEP:

Past FEP:

FEP Senior Member

did you ever do a compression test on her, compression may be a little weak. also is your carb getting fuel. Check all chassis and engine grounds. maybe try another coil if you suspect a weak spark. Try holding the throttle wide open while cranking. Just trying to shoot you some ideas. Want you to fire this baby up already!
    Neal

Quote Originally Posted by neald View Post
    did you ever do a compression test on her, compression may be a little weak. also is your carb getting fuel. Check all chassis and engine grounds. maybe try another coil if you suspect a weak spark. Try holding the throttle wide open while cranking. Just trying to shoot you some ideas. Want you to fire this baby up already!
    Thanks Neal. No I have not done a compression test on it yet. It ran before after a multi-year slumber and have not messed with the timing or coils etc. Great ideas thank you.
    Current FEP:

Past FEP:

Quote Originally Posted by m81mclaren View Post
    EDIT! I just decided to rebuild mine instead. I'll have the tank cleaned, coated and painted and hopefully salvage and rebuild the neck.

Filler neck gasket appears universal and can be found here:
    http://www.foxresto.com/products/vie...l_at_Fuel_Tank
    or here http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/LRS-9072A

Also the sending unit lock ring here: http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/LRS-9307A
    Looks like the sending unit is obsolete (anyone have a part # for this?!) so I will need to now hunt for a replacement if mine does not work.

I cannot locate a vapor valveon my tank so this may be unnecessary: http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/LRS-9076A

Looks like the only thing that attaches to my tank are the 2 fuel lines and the sending unit.
    UPDATE: I learned a few more things over the weekend. 1) the filler neck to gas tank gasket for 1980 is different than the one I purchased for 79-97.
    See it is too big. New one is on order correct one is here: for 79 and early 80 cars a 74-78 style filler neck is required
    http://www.cjponyparts.com/fuel-tank-to-filler-pipe-seal-1974-1981/p/FPS3/

2) the SW guage package sending unit in the gas tank requires a unique gasket for mounting. SW was kind enough to assist and find one in stock.

It's on the way.
    3)my 7.5 rear took just just shy of 2 qts before it ran out the fill hole.
    4) nobody seems to carry a replacement fuel inlet for the tank part# D9ZF-9275-KA see picture below.

Is it safe to assume there is supposed to be some kind of pickup filter on the end of this?

Would this be the correct item?
    http://www.cjponyparts.com/filter-fu...-1985/p/FSUF2/

SLOWLY, but surely on the way.
    Last edited by m81mclaren; 01-22-2013 at 07:03 PM. Reason: edit for correct part number for neck to tank grommet
    Current FEP:

Past FEP:

It's alive!!!! After a very, very long time and the support of the great people on this forum (recent thanks to Chuck, Neal, and Freakshow for suggestions and my '75 Impala driving neighbor David) my M81 finally started tonight! My 7 year old son and I skipped the local Ponies and Snakes car show today to have some real fun. We put in new plugs, recharged the battery, changed the oil, dropped the gas tank again and added a pickup-filter, the correct neck to tank seal, lock ring gasket and sending unit gasket. A small advance on the distributor and a shot of ether and she roared right up! Last registration sticker...1991! We took it around the block and had to quickly bring it back because of the massive plumes of smoke. I'm sure the neighbors are thrilled! I'll post pics and a video tomorrow. Thanks again to all of you who have assisted me in even the smallest way.
    M81
    Last edited by m81mclaren; 06-27-2011 at 12:41 AM.
    Current FEP:

Past FEP:

Congrats!!!

79 Mustang Coupe - Jade Green Metallic - 5.0 5Sp - Purchased 2006
    17 Mustang Convertible - Triple Yellow Tri-Coat - 3.7l Auto - Purchased 2020
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    01 Mustang - 3.8 Auto True Blue - Oct 2001- Apr 2022 RIP
    85 ASC - McLaren 5.0 SC - ASC White - 5.0 CFI Auto - Owned 2004 - 2016
    98 Mustang - White - 3.8 5pd - Owned 1998 - 2001
    84 Mustang SSP - White - 5.0 5sp - Owned 1993 - 1998
    84 SVO - Charcoal - 2.3t 5Sp - Owned 1989 -1992
    79 Mustang Ghia - 5.0 Auto - Owned 1981 - 1986
    68 Mustang Coupe - 302 Auto, Yellow - Owned 1980 - 1981

Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast