Close

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jax Rhapsody View Post
    Maybe the carb is a tad gummed spray some carb cleaner or brake cleaner in it.
    yep tried that
    Current FEP:
    1980 M81 McLaren Carb Turbo 2.3T #003P ... IT'S ALIVE after a 22 year slumber thread!

Past FEP:
    1986 Capri GS 5.0- very missed but in goods hands
    1985 LTD SSP- quick little fox 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by gr79 View Post
    The line from the charcoal can runs up to the top of the tank somewhere.
    Those carbs need a good going over every few years, mainly cleaning.
    Do not let that carb stray-turbo calibrated carbs are special.
    Hard to find intact with the correct parts and in good shape.
    Rebuilt exchange carbs are a big gamble.
    Always keep the original even if its beyond hope.
    Thanks GR I have read here elsewhere that they are unique and hard to come by. I'll try a few other steps before thinking about rebuilding.
    Current FEP:
    1980 M81 McLaren Carb Turbo 2.3T #003P ... IT'S ALIVE after a 22 year slumber thread!

Past FEP:

So after blowing out the lines I replaced the rubber lines breaking a few of the spring clips in the process. I'll need to buy new ones but the auto parts store doesn't have them and I'd like to stay factory correct as much as possible. While under there i could not figure out where the heck that extra unplugged line goes to so I decided to drop the tank. Was actually much easier then I thought it would be (my manual still has not arrived!) and I'm glad I did. The filler neck is removable and the rubber sleeve that conects it to the tank was pretty dried out. When I pulled the neck out it was NASTY inside. The outside of the tank and neck look really good but the inside that lives in the tank was rusty and the gas was rancid. So I need to look at my options for either cleaning/repairing my tank or simply replacing it and the neck. Anybody have experience with either repairing or with good replacements? I'll hunt around a bit locally and with repair shops to see where to properly dispose of the old 1/2 tank of gas. Oh yeah, still could not find where that line went to. The hunt continues.

I am not surprised it would not start with that nasty gas. With that said, I did bypass it and that did not work. Just to get it right I will replace the pump and (uh oh) try to clean/rebuild the carb.

Oh yeah, I also removed the diff cover and pounded it it a bit back into shape. Man that is some thick, hard metal! It should be usable with a good gasket. It had a super light bead of something on it but no real gasket to speak of from the factory. I'll search on here for tips on how to properly install a gasket and if I need to add a liquid gasket as well. I also noticed that the bolts had some kind of rubber at the base of the threads below the bolt. I wonder if that is a liquid gasket, a special rubber washer of some kind or anti-seize. Anyone with experience can fill me in?

I'm having fun with this and my 6 year old son was a trooper refusing to leave my side even when his friends cam by to play. I am sore all over though and it's a reminder that I am not getting any younger physically!
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by m81mclaren; 04-18-2010 at 12:55 PM.
    Current FEP:

Past FEP:

Old gas used to be a good weed killer.
    RTV was used on the diff cover. Fel-Pro makes housing cover gaskets.
    Ford 7.5 78-85. P/N RDS 55393. .05" thick. About $5 at AutoZone.
    That may be Loctite® on the bolts.

Lucky you having a 6 year old that likes to study mechanical work.
    Prob figures it will take 10y to get er running-just right-16-drivers license.
    A little home schooled DIY mechanic training. Ahead of his class already.
    And short height closer to the ground to pick up the dropped sockets.
    Last edited by gr79; 04-18-2010 at 01:46 PM.

FEP Senior Member blackmagicman's Avatar

ebay has that tank new for 128.00 its hard to find but ill see if i can link it to you its listed as 1979-82 capri gas tank pump on engine gas tank
    current stable:1981 blackmagic capri gt40 crate engine 5spd 12.7@109mph.150 shot nos gt40 heads 3.55 gears
    1981 blackmagic capri 2.3 liter 5spd project car goin turbo , daily driver 2004 chevy silverado 4x4

Old gas used to be a good weed killer.
    RTV was used on the diff cover. Fel-Pro makes housing cover gaskets.
    Ford 7.5 78-85. P/N RDS 55393. .05" thick. About $5 at AutoZone.
    That may be Loctite® on the bolts.

Lucky you having a 6 year old that likes to study mechanical work.
    Prob figures it will take 10y to get er running-just right-16-drivers license.
    A little home schooled DIY mechanic training. Ahead of his class already.
    And short height closer to the ground to pick up the dropped sockets.
    Thanks I'll check out AZ online for that Fel-Pro; I called but they said they did not have a listing for one. Yes, my son is a chip off the old block. He was the one really pushing me the last 2 years to get started on the car. I wanted to wait until he was old enough to not drink the gas or something really dangerous. He's a great listener and very mechanically inclined; never stops asking questions about how things work. He handed me tools and rags and just about anything I asked for all afternoon. Today we tried to change the spark plugs on my Volvo but that's another story!
    Current FEP:

Past FEP:

Quote Originally Posted by 85bubblebackboy View Post
    ebay has that tank new for 128.00 its hard to find but ill see if i can link it to you its listed as 1979-82 capri gas tank pump on engine gas tank
    Thanks for that. I tried RockAuto, Kragen, Autozone, and the major FEP sponsor site but got no listing. Carparts.com has one listed for 1981 (mine is a 1980 car) for $110 here http://www.carparts.com/SPECTRA-PREM...2134_10618.car

Does anyone know if all tanks are the same for 79-82?

Cheers,
    DH
    Current FEP:

Past FEP:

I can't help much, but all I can say is OMG that car is cool!!!!
    ** 89 LX 5.0 ** blower whine, better brakes, and faded paint

They get confused on parts lookup nowadays.
    The rear diff sould be a 7.5 unless replaced with an 8.8
    7.5 diff. has a 10 bolt cover.
    3 top, 3 bottom, 2 each side=10 bolts.
    Any parts store can get a gasket kit.
    Purchased from AZ 'cause they had them in stock on the shelf.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...&parentId=12-0

They get confused on parts lookup nowadays.
    The rear diff sould be a 7.5 unless replaced with an 8.8
    7.5 diff. has a 10 bolt cover.
    3 top, 3 bottom, 2 each side=10 bolts.
    Any parts store can get a gasket kit.
    Purchased from AZ 'cause they had them in stock on the shelf.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...&parentId=12-0
    Thanks GR. Got it on order along with Fuel Pump. Working hard to find correct 1980 Gas Tank and filler neck w/grommet to tank.
    Current FEP:

Past FEP:

http://www.rowand.net/Shop/Tools/Electrolysis.htm

It works like crazy. I have done this to many motorcycle gas tanks.
    Back off, man! I'm a scientist.

*81 T-Top Notch

Quote Originally Posted by m81mclaren View Post
    Thanks for that. I tried RockAuto, Kragen, Autozone, and the major FEP sponsor site but got no listing. Carparts.com has one listed for 1981 (mine is a 1980 car) for $110 here http://www.carparts.com/SPECTRA-PREM...2134_10618.car

Does anyone know if all tanks are the same for 79-82?

Cheers,
    DH
    That is not the same tank as yours. 79-80 tanks are smaller and are not reproduced by anyone that I have found. 79-80 tank straps and the mounts on the car are not the same as the later model cars either.

Quote Originally Posted by jbishop View Post
    http://www.rowand.net/Shop/Tools/Electrolysis.htm

It works like crazy. I have done this to many motorcycle gas tanks.
    Looks interesting but a slittle scary for me to attempt with such a big piece.
    Current FEP:

Past FEP:

Looks interesting but a slittle scary for me to attempt with such a big piece.
    I promise it works.

Its Crazy whats comes out. Plus you do it from the inside using the gas tank as your tank.

http://www.altelco.net/~jacil/clay/m...ElecSetup.html

*81 T-Top Notch

Quote Originally Posted by kj_80Cobra View Post
    That is not the same tank as yours. 79-80 tanks are smaller and are not reproduced by anyone that I have found. 79-80 tank straps and the mounts on the car are not the same as the later model cars either.

Wow tanks for the answer so I'll keep looking!
    Current FEP:

Past FEP:

Wow tanks for the answer so I'll keep looking!
    I see what you did there...
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck W View Post
    I see what you did there...
    yeah, sorry about that!
    Current FEP:

Past FEP:

Still looking for a place locally to clean my tank but no luck so far. Got the felpro for the rear diff cover. Do I need to double up with rtv or just bolt on? Anybody have a good recommendation for the fluid for the diff?
    Current FEP:

Past FEP:

Still looking for a place locally to clean my tank but no luck so far. Got the felpro for the rear diff cover. Do I need to double up with rtv or just bolt on? Anybody have a good recommendation for the fluid for the diff?
    Just try the electrolysis it will cost you $5 and if it doesn't work you will be no worse off.

*81 T-Top Notch

good luck on that tank. i bought one from some junk yard in tx. took a long time to find one. it was in mint shape.

Perfect thanks!
    Current FEP:

Past FEP:

Good luck on finding the tank. I went ahead and made a late model tank fit in my wifes 80 capri. I called the local radiator shop and they quoted me 80 to clean my old tank. Might be an option for you.

Mike J.
    80 Capri RS turbo(svo in capri clothing)
    86 SVO
    "Doh, Why do my actions have consequences?"

When NPD starts selling fox chassis parts, the first thing i will check will be fuel tanks, straps, etc. for the carb cars.
    Will tell how 'deep' they go on parts. Like the SVO's lower ball joint thing.
    Common parts for a notsocommonanymore common car.

When NPD starts selling fox chassis parts, the first thing i will check will be fuel tanks, straps, etc. for the carb cars.
    Will tell how 'deep' they go on parts. Like the SVO's lower ball joint thing.
    Common parts for a notsocommonanymore common car.
    That would be ideal. In the meantime I called around and found a place 30 mins from home that will clean, sandblast in/out, seal and paint the gas tank for $175. Seems a bit steep given the cost of replacements for other years but may be my only option. The external part of the tank is really clean. I wonder if I can clean it myself (not using the instant electrocution method!) with a pressure washer and then some solvent? Is the filler neck the same for the later 81 and up cars? Maybe I can just replace the neck.
    Current FEP:

Past FEP:

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast