Close

Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast

M
    Quote Originally Posted by billkandi View Post
    Not to take away from your M81 at all-it's an historical gem, but that RST is very nice as well.
    Yes that RST is awesome and fully built top to bottom including a nice interior, sn95 knuckles, engine and turbo upgrades, stereo and repaint looking great as well. I believe his name was Mike and he is a hard core Capri guy who has several and is trying to make all the RADWood events this year. His buddy drives the Starion and they both made the drive from Phoenix. I love Capris having owned an 86 GS 5.0 back in my 20’s that I wish I had not sold to buy a commuter car. I stay in contact with Charlie hoping some day I can buy it back.
    I wonder how many pics I can attach direct to FEP as my Flickr pastes don’t work from my phone.
    Name:  49983F00-B16C-46B4-9C52-74942AF26B4D.jpg
Views: 614
Size:  143.8 KB
    Last edited by m81mclaren; 08-04-2019 at 03:54 PM.
    Current FEP:
    1980 M81 McLaren Carb Turbo 2.3T #003P ... IT'S ALIVE after a 22 year slumber thread!

Past FEP:
    1986 Capri GS 5.0- very missed but in goods hands
    1985 LTD SSP- quick little fox 5.0

Nice ride

The lack of performance and cred of the turbo Carb Four was due to Fords decision not to tkae the advice of Scwitser and run a blow through carb system.

Quote Originally Posted by xctasy View Post
    i have to be carefull to answer your questions.....Oh, and there's a reason Ford USA never went blow through aside from the first Paxton supercharged T-birds and 57 Fords and the 67 Shelby's....

if a blow through carb ruptures a power valve or collapses a float or has a in service fuel delivery problem, in the words of Assistant Chief Engineer for the 1979 Mustang 2.3 Turbo Project

Same with the blow through 1985 4-bbl Saleen PaxtonMustang conversion;

should have been a shoe in for CARB emissions certification,

but even the most excellent car sorters in the world had so many problems making a blow through carb work and be legal and safe, they avoided blow through carb instillations for years.

Gale Banks,
    Austin Rover's MG Metro 1275/ MG Maestro2000 and
    Ford of Europes 2.8 Capri Turbo and
    Alfa Romeo's TurboDelta and
    the Lous Esprit Turbo were the best blow through conversions.

The R5/R18/Feugo Renault Solex 1-bbl blow through carb instillations weren't very reliable because of in service fuel dlivery problems.

My summary?

Norm General from Ford was right,

but if your carbs are in good shape and you have a good, robust and well sorted fuel air distribution and linkage, Holley Weber 5200's will be a great blow thru carb.

This all goes back to what I said a while ago. If you use Webers carb to get an inital jump on horsepower before turbo charging is added, then a low pressre, less than 12 pound boost turbo with a mechanical fuel pump and Malpasi rising rate fuel regulator will allow a Weber carb to run easily and simply underboost.

The Italians, Germans (Zakspeed 2.8 Turbo Capri) and English made blow through turbos work by simply understanding what a carb does, and by using moderate boost increase, not huge ones.

Getting reliable 40 to 65% power boosts with just 9 pounds of boost was because they understood how to make the basic carbs work properly.

You absolutely need to consider how great a draw through carb can be.

gr79 nailed it when he got the 350 cfm 2305 Holley 2-bbl carb to work.

For your Ford, you only need to

1. change out the exhaust to SVO spec to lower backpressure, and
    2. put a proper primary cat to turbo cross over pipe without those crazy bend restrictions.
    3. The carb can go up to 31 and 30 mm venturis with proportionally larger jets, with the secondary made simulatneous like the 38DGAS or 38 Solex used in the 1981 Zakspeed Capri 2.8 liter, a true 200 hp engine.
    4. All the emissions gear can stay,
    5. you convert the carb to mechanical secondary, and
    6. you water/metyl alachol mix to charge cool it for the high compression ratio.
    7. The fuel pump can be uprated to the SBC NASCAR or Holley Strip Dominator type and looped out to a lower pressure with a Malpassi or other fuel pressure regulator
    8. A Five speed T5 based on the same unit gr79 has.

The igntions Sol's, the VOTM, the EGR TAB/TAD, the HP Screw..... all that jazz can stay, you just need to let the engine have a proper 350 cfm of carburation without the restrictions of the exhaust and 280 cfm stock carb.

And add the stock under hood cool air induction scoop.

Hiding in that engine is another 99 horsepower restricted by the exhaust backpressure and carb sizing.

See

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlMI9m-sn7I

This is what Ford should have done.

Mitsubishi's early unlead gasoline JDM carb turbo Colt, Tredia, Cordia,
    Gale Banks,
    Austin Rover's MG Metro 1275/ MG Maestro2000 and
    Ford of Europes 2.8 Capri Turbo and
    Alfa Romeo's TurboDelta and

Lotus' Turbo Esprit.

All mighty turbo carb cars.

double-post; not sure how to delete.
    Last edited by m81mclaren; 08-08-2019 at 04:38 PM.
    Current FEP:
    1980 M81 McLaren Carb Turbo 2.3T #003P ... IT'S ALIVE after a 22 year slumber thread!

Past FEP:

Thanks X I have watched intently all of your and GR's posts and they are excellent and much appreciated. I can actually now follow along having learned from you all and my reading on how carbs work. I did reset my mixture and timing following procedures after installing all the smog equipment & pump belt but need to revisit as it just isn't where I think it should be or even where it was earlier this year. More fine tuning is needed and a replacement timing light as mine just died. At full throttle/high RPM's it runs quite strong (I wouldn't call it very fast!) with good turbo sounds and safe A/F ratios. This allows me to keep up with traffic from stoplights but at part to 3/4 there's simply not much there and a little leaner than it should be. I honestly was not expecting more so it's no big deal but freeway on-ramps left me wanting for sure compared to my other cars. It was over 100 degrees that day and tons of stop and go traffic on my side of the bay so I'm sure that didn't help! The fan kicked on and off even 10 minutes after shutting down so the cooling system is working tops. Maybe over time I will play with a different setup like you guys suggest to extract all the potential.
    Last edited by m81mclaren; 08-08-2019 at 04:40 PM.
    Current FEP:

Past FEP:

came across some amazing historical postcards and promo posters for sale that I thought I would share. Example inserted for attention.... but here's where I found the actual posters and cards for sale!

http://www.performancepartsinc.com/mis.html

Name:  m81poster1.jpg
Views: 545
Size:  255.2 KB

Thanks Erratic my brother bought me a box of the postcards 15 years ago and I have 4 different posters with an M81 on it although I am sure there are more. I have this one with the indy car (personally my favorite!), the Daytona and the Sebring posters and the "1964-1984 Mustang A Legend Turns Twenty" poster with all the generations on it. The ones I will still get are the "Spirit of Competition" track posters from 1981 which I like the artist drawing a lot.
    Last edited by m81mclaren; 09-16-2019 at 02:08 PM.
    Current FEP:

Past FEP:

Hi all hope everyone is coping well under Covid19. All good here with just a recent scare where my wife’s “bubble friend” tested positive but thankfully she’s fine and my wife tested negative so we’re isolating another week to be safe. We just wrapped up the Gti salvage rebuild for my 16 year old son so we dusted off the M81 and took it for a summer morning drive. It fires instantly but is taking a long time to warm up. I’m still getting a small carb backfire the first 20 minutes if I jump on then off @ full throttle (like when shifting gears getting up to speed of traffic) and after many minor adjustments here and there with timing and carb I’ve gotten it mostly out but still a concern. I’m only running part throttle during the warm up so I don’t do any harm but would love to figure this out. I’m wondering if switching to the Ranger cam and roller rockers requires any unique tuning to compensate? The anti_backfire valve and all the other smog do-hickeys seemed to change nothing on this. Anyways I’ve put a couple hundred more miles on 5-10 at a time and no tow rides home so I’m calling it reliable for now! We have made a few more local shows and C&C pre Covid and itching to get out to the one this Sunday in Moraga. My OG alternator pulley just disintegrated this morning after my morning drive (didn’t even know it happened until I popped the hood to check for an odd rubber smell) so I swapped that with new generic while I hunt for an NOS to replace it. Questions for you all what impact does removing the smog pump belt have on running? My pump is making some marbles in a jar sound so I want to bypass it before it seizes. Also if I take out the secondary cat under the floor pan are there other running adjustments that need to be made? Next up is to install the rack bellows, replace the sway bar end link bushings and overhaul the brakes. Cheers, Derrick
    Last edited by m81mclaren; 08-11-2020 at 08:50 PM.
    Current FEP:

Past FEP:

FEP Power Member

They do make a rebuild kit for the smog pump. I’m sure there Are some rebuilders out there as these are somewhat generic to GM cars.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    They do make a rebuild kit for the smog pump. I’m sure there Are some rebuilders out there as these are somewhat generic to GM cars.
    Thanks Kevin I’ll check around. Hope to see you around sometime!

Just went on an hour sunset drive it was awesome. FYI my ”Turbo” light comes on about 4psi!
    Name:  2E2F0790-B162-41BB-98BE-A66E424DDF06.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  179.2 KB
    Last edited by m81mclaren; 08-11-2020 at 10:47 PM.
    Current FEP:

Past FEP:

Love the M81. Glad to see her driving. Stay healthy and safe.

Hi guys hope you are safe and doing well where you are. Here in NorCal we are dealing with extreme temps, power outages and massive fires which has been keeping us indoors for 2 weeks due to really bad air quality. Yesterday was the first day we could go outside for more than a few minutes. What a crazy year for the world; as my son said it's time for 2020 to go back in the Jumanji box!

Nothing new on the M81 as we've been working on other car projects. We just finished up my sons first car a VW Mk7 Gti salvage rebuild which the M81 has prepared him to bring lots of patience, wrenching, and problem solving skills to the table. Sweat equity is a good thing! We are also working on my Mk1 Rabbit Gti engine and finally got to the clutch job on the Copart Mini Cooper build too which was a massive job. A few pics...

Airbags & dash swap

Install the carriers, nose parts, lights and fresh painted body parts.

Turbo Rabbit- uh oh!

Supercharged Mini Cooper

This explains why we got it so cheap!

We'll get to some maintenance on the M81 this weekend including a coolant flush, oil change, rack bellows & sway bar bushings. I also need to get my big list of brake parts together and ordered. Nothing seems standard on this so have to piece it together. How are your projects coming along?
    Last edited by m81mclaren; 08-27-2020 at 05:55 PM.
    Current FEP:

Past FEP:

Perfect. I can die happy now. He's earned his spurs well. Mate Juan Certificate (M81) The My Mate John cert!

Another tamer of foreign wild life. My brother in law is a Vee Dub man, and I've done Minis since way back when.

Quote Originally Posted by xctasy View Post
    Perfect. I can die happy now. He's earned his spurs well. Mate Juan Certificate (M81) The My Mate John cert!

Another tamer of foreign wild life. My brother in law is a Vee Dub man, and I've done Minis since way back when.
    Ha ha! But I'm not ready to die yet as we have many adventures still to go! We are nowhere near certified M81 as that would require Xctasy/GR79 like levels of genius and mechanical intuition! Threw out my back picking up my dog so did not get to the maintenance list as planned. I did just fix my timing light during lunch break so we will continue working on further tweaks to timing/carb untill we get this M81 100%. I know it can do better. I'm going to try a process of elimination with all of these new check valves/vacuum devices installed and see how she responds. Still don't believe the vacuum lines are all best (carb air horns etc.) in spite of the "diagram". Going to then also pull out the new CatCon as well pull the belt for the smog pump and see those make any difference with my cold carb backfires. One change at a time though...
    Last edited by m81mclaren; 09-04-2020 at 02:33 PM.
    Current FEP:

Past FEP:

Little things going on. Sun Visors finally installed after finding correct screws, NOS steering rack bellows in, fuel filter at tank changed out, ordered some new brake parts for the front to freshen it up and fix a sticky front caliper. Ordered a replacement dizzy as my reman vacuum advance is no longer working.

There's a bit of play in the when you start to turn the steering wheel. The rack and steering arms were nice and tight so I suspect it's the rag joint. Is this a common issue?
    Current FEP:

Past FEP:

If there is play in the steering when the tires are on the ground, but no play when they are in the air, then the rag joint is probably the cause.

If there is play in both situations, then it will be from some metal on metal joint such as the inner tie rods.
    Jack Hidley
    Maximum Motorsports Tech Support

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hidley View Post
    If there is play in the steering when the tires are on the ground, but no play when they are in the air, then the rag joint is probably the cause.

If there is play in both situations, then it will be from some metal on metal joint such as the inner tie rods.
    Thanks Jack I'll check that out. I notice it most when pulling out from parallel parking. The steering inner and outer tie rods were nice and tight but I have several bushings that need to be replaced due to age. I've never dealt with a rag joint before so will poke around some more also with it off the ground as you suggest.
    Current FEP:

Past FEP:

What an epic 12 year journey! My hats off to you sir for your "stick-to-it-tivness". truly impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffeejoejava View Post
    What an epic 12 year journey! My hats off to you sir for your "stick-to-it-tivness". truly impressed.
    Thanks! Bummed it's been on jackstands the last 3 weeks while I was sick and sourcing brake parts for a full refresh. I'm missing some of the last sunshine and local events I was hoping to get to and need it back together for a visit to the smog man already.

I just posted questions in the brakes forum with new rotor wheel bearing size the last missing link I hope. Incredibly I haven't broken anything yet and it has been coming apart without too much drama. Temps here dropping into the 30's at night so old man winter is finally showing up. Hope everyone is staying healthy!

Note different hose styles, need to find another that matches even though new box was the same...

new swaybar bushings and end links going in while I am in there to tighten it up a bit

drum lug clips still there!
    Last edited by m81mclaren; 11-09-2020 at 09:36 PM.
    Current FEP:

Past FEP:

All the parts are in and almost done with the brakes. Installed the new front bearings and rotors, new soft lines front and back, new rear cylinders, shoes, spring and parking brake kit. Installing that lower red spring is sure a pain in the ass! I had trouble with the left rear parking brake adjuster pivot arm as it's not lining up correctly. This was a previous issue I thought with new parts would solve itself. I'm thinking maybe the parking brake cable is stretched? Next I'll bench bleed and install the new master cylinder for piece of mind and finish bleed all around. My 16 year old self remembers this job sucking and the mess and time involved is worse @ 51! Feels great to do the job with some help from my son though.

RT Front

Left Front

Right Rear

RT Rear original

slight difference but ford OE is beefier. My LR was previously broken so used the Motorcraft this time but looks exactly like other brand aftermarket.

RT rear cleanup

RT Rear done

Left Rear cleanup

Left rear adjuster before new brakes... it's off.

Left Rear done

But adjuster arm still off. The arm that rides on the adjuster wheel is still sitting a little wonky. Anyone have a suggestion what i might do to fix that? I posted up in the brake section for ideas in case it helps someone else down the road.
    Last edited by m81mclaren; 11-21-2020 at 07:07 PM.
    Current FEP:

Past FEP:

Today I removed my combination valve and gently reamed and cleaned the insides, the slide pin and end assembly as it was seized up and preventing proper movement and bleeding of my LF caliper. Learned a lot in the process for future project cars. Successfully bled all four corners finally and will get back to trying to fix that LR shoe adjuster tomorrow and go for a test drive. Hoping for proper brakes finally!

Current FEP:

Past FEP:

If you haven't done the rag joint yet I've heard that you can use one fora 69 Boss 302 and it's poly.

Quote Originally Posted by teal95 View Post
    If you haven't done the rag joint yet I've heard that you can use one fora 69 Boss 302 and it's poly.
    Thanks I'll check that out! Searches show Lares 203 matches standard spec so I'll compare that to the B302. There were 3 diff racks that can be had on the early foxes so would be interesting if the upstream equipment is all the same. I'll find out soon enough.
    Last edited by m81mclaren; 05-07-2021 at 11:33 AM.
    Current FEP:

Past FEP:

FEP Power Member

I put a Lares 203 on my 84 GT Turbo as a stock replacement.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Always good to see forward progress on restorations, especially pics of good and bad.

From viewing and reading of all the work to the cars, you and jr's skills are higher than you give yourself credit for.
    Try and find one shop that has the savvy and no labor cost to do all that work. You and we are it.
    No where else can we find and combine knowledge, ideas, thoughts, pics, proven and yet to be, repairs on our cars.
    DIY, pro shop, and in between, without hacking or major mods, to keep cars drive-able, safe, and reliable as much as possible.
    Can be a challenge working with and finding stock parts and keeping cars nearly stock as possible. And keep the fun in them.
    Last edited by gr79; 07-05-2021 at 02:55 PM.

Default Likely blown turbo seals

Now i know what a serious turbo oil leak can do to our carb engines quickly.
    Engine is now a n/a until damaged turbo #3 is replaced.
    Twin tip exhaust note is more prominent without the turbo connected.

Have to dig out turbo '#2', the rebuilt oe.
    Likely has stuck and damaged turbine impeller. No rotation. Cant get the housing apart (yet) to check.
    Post 162 + 163
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...75#post1939575

Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast