Close

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    FEP Power Member

It in on the front drivers side of the block down low. It is mechanical,

The carb will most likely need rebuilding or at least cleaning out. Old gas will set up like turpentine.
    Kendal

also try autozone.com, they have a lot of smog equipment iand other stuff. i found all the ones for my I6 cali. equiped
    2017 Ford Explorer Sport (DD) 1986 Capri 5.0 Silver/Red
    1969 Falcon XW GTHO coupe (SOLD) went to Australia
    Past 4 eyes-
    4th. 1981 Capri "White" Black Magic I6
    3rd. 1984 Capri RS V8 Black/grey
    2nd. 1984 Capri RS V8 White/red
    1st. 1984 SVO Grey/grey (traded it for a worn out 1970 BOSS 302)
    Both '84 Capri's vin# were 10 away from each other
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

Thanks guys, I followed the fuel lines from the tank forward and found the mechanical pump you mentioned on the front driver's side of the block. Do these go bad with time? I tried again this afternoon and ALMOST got it started again. I have spark but not getting fuel. I cranked it a long time several times and it almost fired several times after pouring some more gas into the carb. The fuel filter again was bone dry. Since it is a mechanical pump, how does it work? I wonder if I can start it with ether/starter fluid will it create a vaccum of pressure to drive the pump and pull through the gas from the tank? Any other experiences to test/prime the fuel pump? The tank and lines look fairly easy to replace since you don't have to drop the rear end to do it.

Need to re-glue he headliner and re-wire in the original AM/FM radio.
    Current FEP:
    1980 M81 McLaren Carb Turbo 2.3T #003P ... IT'S ALIVE after a 22 year slumber thread!

Past FEP:
    1986 Capri GS 5.0- very missed but in goods hands
    1985 LTD SSP- quick little fox 5.0

FEP Power Member

Take the fitting loose comming form the tank and see if you are getting any gas to the pump.
    Kendal

Thanks Kendal, behind the rear tire by the tank are 2 lines. Can you tell me which is the primary and which is the return?
    Last edited by m81mclaren; 03-28-2010 at 10:53 AM. Reason: sp error
    Current FEP:
    1980 M81 McLaren Carb Turbo 2.3T #003P ... IT'S ALIVE after a 22 year slumber thread!

Past FEP:

FEP Power Member

I was talking about the fitting comming from the tank at the Fuel pump.
    Kendal

Ford shop manual shows:
    Tank end at sender= lower 90° tube is return from pump.
    Upper angled 45° tube (larger dia.) is feed to fuel pump.
    Pump end= inlet is straight up connection, return is the horizontal one.

If compressed air is avail, disconnect and and blow out lines.
    Can temp. supply the fuel pump and bypass tank and lines with a fuel hose inserted in a gas can.
    In any case, pump will prime in less than a minute of cranking providing fuel to carb.

Quote Originally Posted by gr79 View Post
    Ford shop manual shows:
    Tank end at sender= lower 90° tube is return from pump.
    Upper angled 45° tube (larger dia.) is feed to fuel pump.
    Pump end= inlet is straight up connection, return is the horizontal one.

If compressed air is avail, disconnect and and blow out lines.
    Can temp. supply the fuel pump and bypass tank and lines with a fuel hose inserted in a gas can.
    In any case, pump will prime in less than a minute of cranking providing fuel to carb.
    Thanks GR79, I'll try this today.
    DH
    Current FEP:

Past FEP:

GR do I have this right?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Current FEP:

Past FEP:

Default 2.3 carb turbo fuel line notes

Quote Originally Posted by m81mclaren View Post
    GR do I have this right?
    Yes the labels are correct!

The 3rd mystery connection? Carb feed!
    A metal line, with one threaded metal fitting at the pump end.
    Threaded fitting resembles the type found on brake tubing.
    Carb end of this tube is flared for the short piece of rubber hose to the filter.

The oem carb tubing, still on my car, measures 5/16 o.d.
    There are many bends in that line, snaking it's way pump to carb, tucking it back in there pretty well.

Addition:
    If not a fan of the little Motorcraft carb filter that easily cross-threads into the air horn:
    Replace filter with an inline Fram G2 or similar, short rubber fuel lines, hose clamps, to a brass barbed fitting.
    The barb fitting is now permanently threaded into the carb air horn in place of the oem type filter.

Had to think out this mod in the mid 80's after a few fuel filter encounters resulted in a leaky strip out.
    Now at 290,000 miles/12,000= 24 filters/3rd carb with mod. Was a most practical solution for me.
    Last edited by gr79; 04-05-2010 at 02:10 PM. Reason: details, details, details

Yes the labels are correct!
    The 3rd mystery connection? Carb feed!
    A metal line, with one threaded metal fitting at the pump end.
    Threaded fitting resembles the type found on brake tubing.
    Carb end of this tube is flared for the short piece of rubber hose to the filter.
    The oem carb tubing, still on my car, measures 5/16 o.d.
    There are many bends in that line, snaking it's way pump to carb, tucking it back in there pretty well.

Addition:
    If not a fan of the little Motorcraft carb filter that easily cross-threads into the air horn:
    Replace filter with an inline Fram G2 or similar, short rubber fuel lines, hose clamps, to a brass barbed fitting.
    The barb fitting is now permanently threaded into the carb air horn in place of the oem type filter. Had to think out this mod in the mid 80's after a few fuel filter encounters resulted in a leaky strip out. Now at 290,000 miles/12,000= 24 filters/3rd carb with mod. Was a most practical solution for me.
    Awesome! I wanted to put a see-through inline filter in there but the store only came up with the threaded Fram version so I did not push it. It seemed to go in OK though so I'll see and the old one was not clogged or anything so I'm keeping it in case any junk clogs up the new one. Since I am not getting any fuel to the carb, I'm trying the easiest paths first. 1) replace filter= no change and still no fuel 2) blow out lines and try again with ether to get it going= will try this today 3) run separate fuel line from gas can directly to feed on pump and try that 4) replace fuel pump 5) replace tank.
    Current FEP:

Past FEP:

Ok I just saw this thread.

First of all, I want your car.

Second, I have an unmolested 2.3T Indy pace car. If the vacuum lines are similar I'd be happy to take a picture to show you what goes where.
    '79 Indy pace car T-top
    '81 Cobra
    '81 Cobra T-top
    '82 Mustang GT T-top
    '87 Corvette
    '10 Mustang GT Convertible
    '17 F250
    '17 Landrover Discovery Sport

Just a thought on how to temporarily gravity feed gasoline to the carb filter inlet. Another step in the process of elimination.
    http://www.mityvac.com/hq_images/MVA6832.jpg
    http://www.mityvac.com/hq_images/MVA6005.jpg

or the off the shelf water bottle?
    http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg
    http://www.bakedeco.com/detail.asp?id=2785&trng=fgle

Watching NASA TV STS-131 coverage today-getting crazy ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by gregpro50 View Post
    Ok I just saw this thread.

First of all, I want your car.

Second, I have an unmolested 2.3T Indy pace car. If the vacuum lines are similar I'd be happy to take a picture to show you what goes where.
    Thanks just about everything is for sale for a price! This will be a project to work on with my son so we will both learn alot along the way. I found the vacuum diagrams on Autozone.com since my factory book still isn't here and plan to study up on what all the parts are under the tangled mess of hoses, wires and vacuum lines. I'll take you up on the pictures as we run into questions that are not CA specific!
    Current FEP:

Past FEP:

Just a thought on how to temporarily gravity feed gasoline to the carb filter inlet. Another step in the process of elimination.
    http://www.mityvac.com/hq_images/MVA6832.jpg
    http://www.mityvac.com/hq_images/MVA6005.jpg

or the off the shelf water bottle?
    http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg
    http://www.bakedeco.com/detail.asp?id=2785&trng=fgle

Watching NASA TV STS-131 coverage today-getting crazy ideas.
    that's classic I'm sure to have something red or yellow in the pantry that might fit the bill!
    Current FEP:

Past FEP:

Pretty much the only Mustang I would own.

Good luck with the project!
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck W View Post
    Pretty much the only Mustang I would own.

Good luck with the project!
    Thanks Chuck. I can think of maybe ONE TBird I might own!
    Cheers,
    DH
    Current FEP:

Past FEP:

1 of2 new packages arrived and should help
    Last edited by Mike Croke; 04-07-2010 at 08:26 PM. Reason: fixed image
    Current FEP:

Past FEP:

Still no shop manual; thanks alot crummy ebayer not replying or sending any tracking info!

Anyways, I pulled the fuel feed line from the fuel pump and a tiny bit of pretty nasty smelly dark gas spilled down. I ran a fuel line directly to the gas can bypassing the fuel tank altogether and had a neighbor shoot some ether in the carb. It's cranking great but not starting. I'm getting spark. My next thought is to replace the fuel pump. Does that sound right?

On another note I'm going to blow out the lines from the tank but previous descriptions don't match what I have for the lines on my tank. Attached is a pic showing both lines are parallel to eachother. I'll assume the larger one is feed line and pull and clear it first. I also see something unplugged but it looks like a vacuum line of some kind. Anyone know what it is? Also, in the next pic I will assume this is for the fuel sending gage correct?
    Finally, what is this connector hanging down from the glove box? The door buzzer is working and this sits right next to it>

Thanks for your feedback and input!
    DH
    Last edited by m81mclaren; 04-10-2010 at 05:49 PM.
    Current FEP:

Past FEP:

A few extra shots of the car, SW gages (23K mi on the clock), trunk (that's tar not rust!) and the manual boost controller that probably did the headgasket in!
    Last edited by m81mclaren; 04-10-2010 at 05:50 PM.
    Current FEP:

Past FEP:

My guess for the unconnected line at the tank:
    Vapor line to charcoal cannister up front.

Fuel should come out pretty good from the pump inlet fuel line if disconnected.
    Disconnect the fuel line at the filter, put it in a glass jar and crank to see if shes pumpin.

I would be tempted to dump a shot glass full of fresh gasoline into the carb to see what happens.
    However, the turbo compressor section kind of blocks stuff going directly into the intake manifold, much less to an open intake valve.

Gee, it should have sniffed on that shot of ether.
    A more direct shot would be thru a vacuum port on the intake manifold.

MY dream Mustang(Fox) I was told the interior was way different than other cars. I don't have a turbo but I have a emissions 4banger. I could probnably figure out a few of those wretched vacuum lines.

My guess for the unconnected line at the tank:
    Vapor line to charcoal cannister up front.

Fuel should come out pretty good from the pump inlet fuel line if disconnected.
    Disconnect the fuel line at the filter, put it in a glass jar and crank to see if shes pumpin.

I would be tempted to dump a shot glass full of fresh gasoline into the carb to see what happens.
    However, the turbo compressor section kind of blocks stuff going directly into the intake manifold, much less to an open intake valve.

Gee, it should have sniffed on that shot of ether.
    A more direct shot would be thru a vacuum port on the intake manifold.
    Thanks GR. I'll follow that line and see if it goes to the charcoal canister. Where should it attatch to on the tank? I could not find a spot for it. I'll also check just before the filter as suggested to see if the pump is actually pumping before replacing it. I have poured some gas directly into the carb and it almost started a few times but just not quite. Ether did not seem to make any difference at all. I get spark at the plug and once I confirm fuel is pumping my next guess would be a carb rebuild?
    Current FEP:

Past FEP:

Maybe the carb is a tad gummed spray some carb cleaner or brake cleaner in it.

The line from the charcoal can runs up to the top of the tank somewhere.
    Those carbs need a good going over every few years, mainly cleaning.
    Do not let that carb stray-turbo calibrated carbs are special.
    Hard to find intact with the correct parts and in good shape.
    Rebuilt exchange carbs are a big gamble.
    Always keep the original even if its beyond hope.

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast